The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Road Race Build 1993 Dodge Colt 6 Bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So about 10 years ago I built this car and did the initial build with a stock 4g63t from a rolled over 1990 talon tsi I bought. Over the next few years I did a few small mods (added fmic, 510cc evo 1 injectors, MAFT and 3" gm maf, Evo 3 exhaust manifold, 255HP walbro fuel pump). I ran the car at the track and a best 1/4 mile time was a 13.2 @ 108 MPH on street tires. This was using a stock unported 14b turbo and tuning it with the MAFT(haha) by the seat of my pants. All that time it was running the stock 1.5L transmission and a ebay stage 3 6 puck clutch. It went through a total of 4 transmissions in 20,000 km's of street/track driving and one actually blew into small pieces on the highway at 100+ MPH onetime ahah. Car has sat for around 6 or 7 years now unused in a garage. Well the time has come to resurrect this little purple beast and get it back on the road.

Stage 1 (2015 season ) This build will continue with the FWD, but the first step will be swapping in a more capable transmission. For this stage 1 I have a FWD turbo 2g transmission, and hydraulic pedal assembly from a 1.8L 4th gen colt in order to properly do the swap. From there I have a low km 6 bolt 1990 4g63t engine that I recently acquired that im ready to test out. I will be keeping the stock bottom end components, along with the balance shafts for now. For the head it will remain the 1G large port head, and stock 1g intake manifold along with the kiggly springs/retainers and GSC S3 cams. The turbo selection will be a evo 3 16g along with a evo 3 o2 housing (ported). I will be purchasing some slicks and be going for around 350 WHP.

In Stage 2 (2016) I will be going full Evo drivetrain swap with all the parts from a written off evo 1 chassis I acquired. This will include swapping over the rear floorpan and frame rails from the evo into the 2 door colt chassis (very similar). This will include all the mounts for the evo rear subframe/suspension and fuel tank and also the driveshaft carrier mounting as well as the complete evo front subframe (with rack mounts flipped to mount the LHD steering rack) Bolted to this will be the evo 1 transmission and tcase along with all evo mounts/axles/hubs/suspension and brakes. All of these parts should swap directly into the 4th gen colt chassis with ease. All said and done the swap should look like a evo 1-3 from underneath but a lightweight 2 door colt coupe chassis on the outside :)

Stage 3 (2016-2017) This stage of the build will be all out power. This will include a fully built bottom end (possible stroker or true 2.4 build). Included will be a 600+ whp turbo/manifold setup (thinking GT35R based setup) and built stage 3 or 4 transmission.
Wish me Luck!

Engine and Bolt ons
-'90 6 bolt w/ stock headbolts and gasket for now (see how much it will handle)
-evo 3 16g w/ J-pipe
-ebay FMIC (evo 1-3 kit kit)
-GSC S3 stage 3 cams
-Kiggly beehive springs/titanium retainers
-new revised lifters
-ARP flywheel bolts
-ARP cam gear bolts
-gates kevlar timing and balance belts w/ zaklee cover
-GMB water pump and component kit w/ all new seals
- 2.5" exhaust cutout back with flowmaster super 40 muffler
-2g oil dipstick

Fuel System
-Walbro 255HP w re-wire kit
-China Aeromotive Fuel press regulator
-780cc FIC injectors
-AEM v2 methanol injection kit

Cooling system and oil
-external 15 row oil cooler with 10AN lines/fittings
-1990 oil filter housing
-full aluminum mishimoto race radiator
-full silicone coolant hose kit

Engine Management/Electrics and gauges
-90' 1g DSM Eprom ECU w/ ostrich running Sweedensity.
-3 bar GM MAP and GM IAT
- innovate MTX-L wideband kit
-autometer volts
- autometer boost
-autometer electric oil temperature
-autometer mechanical oil pressure
-autometer electric coolant temp
-autometer full sweep 2000F* pyrometer with warning LED
-3" electric switch operated exhaust cutout kit
-lightweight AGM racing battery

Trans/clutch
-2g FWD turbo trans
-ACT 2100 w/ act 6 puck sprung
-ACT chromoly "Streetlight" FWD flywheel.
PIC of the colt that will be used in the build (pic from 5+ Years ago)
frontsidetractor.jpg

This is the parts evo I have sitting waiting to be torn apart. I also recently acquired the complete engine/drivetrain/subframes/suspension/wiring harness/ECU from another written off evo. I didn't keep the chassis on this one, but grabbed all the goodies and drivetrain parts so I have no shortage of spare parts for my build!
partsevo.jpg

partsevoenginebay.jpg

partsevosideback.jpg

Attachments

• frontsidetractor.jpg
    frontsidetractor.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 130
  • partsevo.jpg
    partsevo.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 179
  • partsevoenginebay.jpg
    partsevoenginebay.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 125
  • partsevosideback.jpg
    partsevosideback.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
back in the game? havent heard from you in a while. 4g coupe-awd is the best platform on the planet. i know the evo 1 is nice but the colt is where its at

Love the Colt swaps. Appreciate you including our parts in your build. Give us a call if there's ever anything else we can do to help with your project - like maybe go over the benefits of an HLA regulator. :)

Post some pics!!!!

Sounds good kiggly! I will be doing a "initial" build this year before I go AWD, and will probably use the stock HLA for now. But once the forged bottom end goes in, well haha, no more screwing around.

I am currently in the process of receiving all my build parts, so in a few weeks I should have everything together and be making some quick progress on the build. Ill definitely post up pics of the project.

And pimpy rider... I never left the game ahaha, only been driving a stock 89 colt GT for the past 3 years and doing pretty much nothing to it besides changing the oil and winter/summer tires over, and working on other people projects. After kids and such (have a 2 year old son, and a 5 year old daughter, it did not leave a ton of time to work on my project Mitsubishi's. Well the time has come, and im tired of being a spectator. Time for the 10 second (or lower hopefully LOL) awd colt project to become a reality.

PARTS!

heres some of the evo stuff

evo7boltandsubframe.jpg

front subrframe and engine/trans/tcase from evo1

evo%207%20bolt.jpg

evo 7 bolt and trans

evo%20rear%20end.jpg

rear end and subframe

And the goodies, almost got everything, time to start tearing into her!

partsoplenty.jpg

oilcoolergauges.jpg

afprinjeftors.jpg

camsspringsretainersgearsbelts.jpg

evo316ginnovateaemavcr.jpg

6 bolt going into the new build...going to get new goodies!
6%20bolt%20motor.jpg

and here is how she sits currently. waiting for the original 6 bolt i swapped in 10 years ago to be pulled, and turned into a stroker build maybe :)
purpleasshesits.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back