The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1992 VR4 #71/1000

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wanted to wait on the next post until I was done with the brakes completely, but I thought what I just did might help someone else who might be doing something similar. Marching toward stopping the car, I had to go back to the pedal assembly. I've already covered the teardown and refurbishment of this assembly in a different update. The only difference here was that I added a few new OEM parts; pedal covers and rubber stoppers from Mitsubishi. It looked so good, I had to stop and admire it for a minute:
gikNqyDxtJUUnuIjeNcG3zG9Pt3ETBvc0Xciw=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Onto the issue. I tried in vain to muscle this thing into place for a few hours and got so frustrated I actually decided to sleep on it. I really wanted to avoid modifying things but decided, in the end, that it was worth changing the metal a little to make installation possible. Here's the trick others might find helpful. When you have sheetmetal parts that won't assemble, identify your holes that are critical to assembly. For the pedal assembly, it's these 6 mofos on the firewall (4 for the brake master and 2 for the clutch master) and a corresponding 5 on the pedal assembly There are an extra 5 bolts that fit into slots on the top, but those tolerances are so loose, they shouldn't be a problem. Back to the holes:
4SZj4P6Bu-x0eGLw3cqYWuRtzOMaP9qmMIzpQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

GurlsOFBZpA-tpH6O7Vvn0-sGBAKyvbbp8-jg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Here's the trick: grab a step drill and punch out the assembly holes 1 step at a time. Stop to test fit during each step and, when things finally go together; stop. Sorted:
8ebdEU202e_ImtEbkf7hwaqkaF17gSPrZpObA=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
McHrNMdTIkOxKwYcqbOk18ZHLzHzX__1AD2QA=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

I'm getting very very close to putting in fluid and using the brakes. :D

Last edited:
While thinking about the future of this project, as I sometimes do, I decided it was worth taking a look at the current SCCA rulebook to see where the car stands with the DSP plans I once had for it. As it turns out, the SCCA, in its infinite wisdom, decided that the DSM platform was to be pushed into the ESP class to compete with, among others, the BMW M2 Competition, the Cadillac CTS-V, the Camaro SS, the Mustang Shelby GT500, and basically any Porsche 911 non-turbo. It's a ridiculous reclassifying of our cars that basically makes them utterly useless for any serious autox competition. They also thought it would be a good idea to put all C4 Corvettes, as well as a modern Camaro ZL-1, into the DSP class, effectively ruining both the sanctity of the DSP class and the DSM platform as a viable autox option. I get that new cars are coming along all the time and they have to go somewhere, but it just seems like they gave little to no thought to the DSM platform at all in the Street Prepared category. I've written to them to see if they might reconsider, but I doubt that will go anywhere.

So I'm in a pickle of sorts, now. We're driving a dying, unsupported platform with a large body of discontinued parts, most critically in the driveline. When you race a car, you break stuff, so that's a tough challenge. The SCCA recently stuffed DSMs into a category they're doomed to fail in. Last, but not least, my historical rate of completion makes the future situation of my car in relation to racing indeterminate from both a classing and parts availability perspective. On the other hand, this project has survived so much and I've put so much into it, that letting go of it before it has reached some state of completion is basically unthinkable. I don't really know where these circumstances will push the end results but, for now, I'm just going to keep going and I'll see if a solution presents itself along the way.

While thinking about the future of this project, as I sometimes do, I decided it was worth taking a look at the current SCCA rulebook to see where the car stands with the DSP plans I once had for it. As it turns out, the SCCA, in its infinite wisdom, decided that the DSM platform was to be pushed into the ESP class to compete with, among others, the BMW M2 Competition, the Cadillac CTS-V, the Camaro SS, the Mustang Shelby GT500, and basically any Porsche 911 non-turbo. It's a ridiculous reclassifying of our cars that basically makes them utterly useless for any serious autox competition. They also thought it would be a good idea to put all C4 Corvettes, as well as a modern Camaro ZL-1, into the DSP class, effectively ruining both the sanctity of the DSP class and the DSM platform as a viable autox option. I get that new cars are coming along all the time and they have to go somewhere, but it just seems like they gave little to no thought to the DSM platform at all in the Street Prepared category. I've written to them to see if they might reconsider, but I doubt that will go anywhere.

So I'm in a pickle of sorts, now. We're driving a dying, unsupported platform with a large body of discontinued parts, most critically in the driveline. When you race a car, you break stuff, so that's a tough challenge. The SCCA recently stuffed DSMs into a category they're doomed to fail in. Last, but not least, my historical rate of completion makes the future situation of my car in relation to racing indeterminate from both a classing and parts availability perspective. On the other hand, this project has survived so much and I've put so much into it, that letting go of it before it has reached some state of completion is basically unthinkable. I don't really know where these circumstances will push the end results but, for now, I'm just going to keep going and I'll see if a solution presents itself along the way.

That sucks to hear, but I have a potentially silly question.

Why not just make it into a car that handles great, stops great, and has good power...but is enjoyable to drive? Does it have to be a purpose-bred auto-x car?

Seems like you'd be happier that way. Maybe get something else that's gonna be more competitive and isn't so discontinued/forgotten that can be the curb-stomping Auto-X platform.

That sucks to hear, but I have a potentially silly question.

Why not just make it into a car that handles great, stops great, and has good power...but is enjoyable to drive? Does it have to be a purpose-bred auto-x car?

Seems like you'd be happier that way. Maybe get something else that's gonna be more competitive and isn't so discontinued/forgotten that can be the curb-stomping Auto-X platform.
Right now that's the only logical thing to do with the car, so that outcome seems likely.

Several years ago, on paper anyway, the car seemed like a legitimately competitive option for DSP and it made finding a purpose for the car very easy. It was also something that fit well with my personality because I'm purpose driven, competitive, and I love racing. But, you snooze you lose. I didn't complete the car quick enough for those plans.

So in the meantime, I'm going to figure out what's wrong with the prop valve, finish the brakes, post a video of the car using the brakes to stop itself, and then figure out what to do next with it :)

I tried a handful of things with the OEM prop valve, concluded that the damn thing is just seized, and conceded defeat by ordering new parts:
1708122749862.png

To be continued when this stuff arrives in a week or two.

More progress to report. Brake prop valve and associated hardware came in:
R9MHHBMRNfKZ6t1O4Qo7akaJ9DGeiA81EeEHg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Kicked off the work with a quick test fit. In spite of the 1 star rating on Summit racing, the adapters seemed to fit just fine. I'm guessing the complaint was for a single flare line instead of a double flare, because the fit was stellar for me:
PgviN9g8GZRaa8ACns6G5toXo7NI1uWQvqsQg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Unfortunately, this was not a bolt-on job, it was a bracket fabrication job, so that's what I did:
z_nNxoPs02LADU9zCLChaTowANvWTDrUYMG2Q=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
nrkHsp2VCitNQLkvxTcEFvd8oa4J_vgxl8Paw=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
Av23Xqus2eKzBBekGqPSy8K-b1SnhYiqoE6LA=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
W5_3dflLVPk9f-uBEOXuXXDlBv92RyKUoN0LQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
WBAdCPZcdT-CJsjo8ZXcf5JWPUdrT4Jz4YDLg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
84m4kvckBF-JpSszRQJVXv0_kCs3ZX3-ZR6Ww=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Finally finished it up with some paint this time because the zinc plating kit wasn't working very well:
Ooe0IN6Q4Gb3u4tN8jJv_TRzC_99sfpzvgsxA=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

As soon as the paint is fully cured, I'll install the valve, fab up a new brake line to go with it, try to flush the fluid again and, Car Gods willing, FUBAR will finally be able to stop itself.

Cheers :)

A lot of people are drawn to the thrill of an engine firing up and the excitement of a powertrain tearing down a straightaway, but me, I'm a hard braking guy. To me, there's nothing sexier in the world than going deep on the brakes to get around an opponent on a racetrack. So, though to many an initial engine fireup might be the most exciting part of a project, today's success will give that moment (if it ever happens) a run for it's money.

I started the day by getting the new Wilwood prop valve installed in the car with my custom bracket and creating a new brake line to run to the inlet port, which is, unfortunately, in a different location than the OEM prop valve. "Old" line is on the left, new line on the right:
RlLGV0Ul6FI_1zIMuqNTNfOa3mIB-SfF0uEQw=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

After that, I finally got the new valve fully installed in the car. Not a bad looking piece:
q1vgrBSSmVYQM4PK2336dpthb3WLEnzWDTL8A=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Finally, after much fanfare, and a successful flushing of the brake system, this:

And of course, because this is freaking FUBAR, instead of getting to walk across the garage with my fist raised gloriously in the air like Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club, I pulled the parking brake lever with some celebratory umph and one of the cable ends popped off and bounced on the floor in a taunting echo of this project's nature. Oh well. The brakes work now, which is a tremendous victory, and I know exactly what my next repair will be. Can I get a "hell yeah"?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back