The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

PA mountain top save 1992 Talon Tsi AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got 2 coats of the Alkyd Enamel on, (24hrs dry time in between coats) and I'm super stoked how it turned out! This stuff is supposed to be super tough so we'll see in time.
20230324_105655.jpg
20230324_105713.jpg
20230324_105741.jpg
20230324_105803.jpg

Cleaning up the latches and other hardware, will get pics here, soon.

Finished up the undercoating on the back half of the car, prepping the tank to go back in.
20230324_101025.jpg
20230324_101044.jpg
20230324_101108.jpg
20230324_101108.jpg

Keep shredding on your projects, let's get em back on the road!

What brand/ color name red is that? I think I want to repaint my dodge with that exactly. Looks awesome. And tough, you say?
IH RED. LOL, I'm pretty sure that's a tractor color? It's spot on matching the paint and honestly if it wasn't, the car desperately needs painted anyway and will have the color matched.
Heck yeah, thank you! Supposedly this stuff is super tough, being a farm/implement Alkyd Enamel I'd say it would have to be as that stuff takes a beating from the elements.

20230320_211210.jpg

Good old International Harvester Red. It's an awesome red. Grew up with that color. I do love me a red DSM. Good work brotha!
Yeah, man, that's it!!! Sure does look good! Oh, no way, that's cool, man.
The red has been growing on me, although I sure would like to own a panda one day, too.
Thank you!
Found another local DSM guy who's interested in selling a rust free roller 1GB 92...I'll post pics when I go look at it here, soon.

Yeah, man, that's it!!! Sure does look good! Oh, no way, that's cool, man.
The red has been growing on me, although I sure would like to own a panda one day, too.
Thank you!
Found another local DSM guy who's interested in selling a rust free roller 1GB 92...I'll post pics when I go look at it here, soon.

If you switch shells I want some interior parts! Lol

It's been a while but I've been here...getting after it when I'm not snagged up by whatever other priorities. Damn pollen has been kicking my ass with fatigue, yay. Haha.

Anyway,
The bracketry paint bonanza continues and the hood hinges turned out well!
20230427_195846.jpg

Picked up a bunch of key items over the last couple months that is bringing this thing closer to completion...and making more work for myself in the process. It's all good, though!
@Paul@RTM with the hookup on a lot of the parts. Thanks, man.

20230427_200005.jpg

20230427_200052.jpg

20230427_200214.jpg
20230427_200305.jpg
20230427_201041.jpg

I'm sure Jon at TRE is a great guy, however he's so busy he's simply unavailable for his customers and so disorganized I can only imagine what the shop looks like...what a total debacle it was dealing with that all. I can't say I'd ever recommend TRE. His stuff looks nice, I hope it lasts....
20230404_213301.jpg
20230404_212919.jpg

Amidst all that debacle, I was in the need of a completely new trans and posted up on here. Kurt @bastarddsm saved the day with an kick ass custom White Shed Speed built 5 speed, hell yeah! So stoked on this with all the upgrades and 90 gear set...etc.
Whiteshedspeed.com now I know where I'll be sending ANY of my future DSM drive train to. Thanks, man.
20230404_212812.jpg

@92AWDHX40 Vic hooked it up big time with the missing trans shift lever bracket. Thanks, man!

Onto the wiring!
20230427_200125.jpg
20230427_195955.jpg

Fixing old repairs, yikes, shit wasn't even connected
20230429_111415.jpg

Little soldering and marine heat shrink to wrap it up nice and tight.
20230429_142348.jpg

Sheridan engineering to the rescue on these ancient hammered crusty eat connectors.
20230429_142014.jpg
20230429_142026.jpg

More to come, need to keep on it! Goal is running, driving, and broke in long before the shootout so I can drive it there. 🤘🤘

Ok Rob, I'm gonna need you to get to my shop so we can get mine going again too ROFL
Nice work!

Ok Rob, I'm gonna need you to get to my shop so we can get mine going again too ROFL
Nice work!
Once this ole gal is back on the road I'd definitely swing by and give you a hand! Worst case get a mini DSM car cruise going. Lol
Thank you!

It's been a while but I've been here...getting after it when I'm not snagged up by whatever other priorities. Damn pollen has been kicking my ass with fatigue, yay. Haha.

Anyway,
The bracketry paint bonanza continues and the hood hinges turned out well!View attachment 694666

Picked up a bunch of key items over the last couple months that is bringing this thing closer to completion...and making more work for myself in the process. It's all good, though!
@Paul@RTM with the hookup on a lot of the parts. Thanks, man.

View attachment 694668
View attachment 694669
View attachment 694670View attachment 694671View attachment 694672

I'm sure Jon at TRE is a great guy, however he's so busy he's simply unavailable for his customers and so disorganized I can only imagine what the shop looks like...what a total debacle it was dealing with that all. I can't say I'd ever recommend TRE. His stuff looks nice, I hope it lasts....
View attachment 694674View attachment 694673

Amidst all that debacle, I was in the need of a completely new trans and posted up on here. Kurt @bastarddsm saved the day with an kick ass custom White Shed Speed built 5 speed, hell yeah! So stoked on this with all the upgrades and 90 gear set...etc.
Whiteshedspeed.com now I know where I'll be sending ANY of my future DSM drive train to. Thanks, man.
View attachment 694675

@92AWDHX40 Vic hooked it up big time with the missing trans shift lever bracket. Thanks, man!

Onto the wiring!
View attachment 694676View attachment 694677
Fixing old repairs, yikes, shit wasn't even connected
View attachment 694678

Little soldering and marine heat shrink to wrap it up nice and tight.
View attachment 694679

Sheridan engineering to the rescue on these ancient hammered crusty eat connectors.
View attachment 694680View attachment 694681

More to come, need to keep on it! Goal is running, driving, and broke in long before the shootout so I can drive it there. 🤘🤘
Where did you find the slinky cover (not sure what to call it) for the hard brake lines? Tried searching at RTM but can’t find it.

That heatshield for the manifold is drool worthy. My God that looks good.

Also, what's the info on the trans? 4 spider diff and etc? Also, what rear diff is that? It all looks great though!

Where did you find the slinky cover (not sure what to call it) for the hard brake lines? Tried searching at RTM but can’t find it.
I took a page out of @Silverspyder book on using the rock guard over the brake line following the 1GB rust rebuild. Haha.
I got those off of Stop Tech on the 'zon (Amazon) along with the nickle copper 3/16 line kit. 🤘🤘

Also, what's the info on the trans? 4 spider diff and etc? Also, what rear diff is that? It all looks great though!
Lol, right! Man I just had to make it happen. I waited too long and the last one got sold on Extreme PSI, so I found that one on ebay from Japan from a parts warehouse called Megazip.net
I meant to post/ask if others have heard about it. Price was reasonable I thought, $68, shipping was a little pricey but hey, the shit isn't exactly available at the local flavor auto stores either. Haha

90 Gearset, WSS billet 1-2 and 3-4 rails, Torrington bearing mod, syncros, hmm a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. No 4 gear spider, just 2. With the power I'll be laying down it'll be just fine.
Need to jump back on the wiring and build out the firewall, then decide on guage placement and wiring. Guess I should research Link install, too....

I took a page out of @Silverspyder book on using the rock guard over the brake line following the 1GB rust rebuild. Haha.
I got those off of Stop Tech on the 'zon (Amazon) along with the nickle copper 3/16 line kit. 🤘🤘
Rock guard, that makes sense. Got my ni-cop lines on the ‘zon too. Need that addition. Good call.

Hey, all!

Funny how things always take longer than you think, but, this was 100% necessary! 30 year old crust and corrosion replaced with fresh USA made 4 guage and connectors.
I've got about 6 redundant ground straps to add to the complete setup as well when the drive train is in. 🤙

20230503_212438.jpg
20230504_171513.jpg
20230504_171520.jpg
20230504_214144.jpg
20230504_215229.jpg

One step forward, 2 steps back. Haha.

Working on the fusible link center that connects to the battery and getting all that corrosion under control (that was a treat BTW, LOL). I'm going through the hassle now so that if I have a problem on the road it'll be much easier to bust out the 10mm and pop the stuff right apart. Pics are from after it was soaking in Evapo-Rust for about a day and a half. These connections are critical, might as well put the time in.
20230510_164531.jpg
20230510_164340.jpg

Due to the overwhelming alternator issues these cars are plagued with I decided to yank all 93" of the stock twin 12 guage white wire and will replace it with 4ga and a higher amperage fusible link. It was actually pretty easy and didn't take longer than about 20 minutes or so given the current state of things.
Might just go for the new VR4 alt from the get go as the dual fans are really going to pull that battery down, fast.
20230510_213523.jpg

20230510_213636.jpg
20230508_214108.jpg
20230508_211336.jpg
20230509_165151.jpg

Last edited:

just a basic build with all the weak points fixed. Stock 2 spider holds up good if you are not trying to be john force, First thing that happens is the upper thrust washer gets welded to the cap, and smeared around, the upper torrington bearing helps a lot. Then the 3/4 fork gets the roll pin pulled out the bottom so we put a second one it that greatly improves the strength. Next the 3/4 shift rail on the early trans can break if you look at it wrong. I have a billet chrome moly replacement that I am getting close to releasing. Then the 1/2 shift fork gets the one finger broke off easily. Next stop for the piece is typically between the ring gear and the case, and the case never wins. I make a billet alumimum one that is much stronger and doesn't break. I have a couple mods to the synchronizer assemblies that I do to help out a bit. I think I also converted this one to a 91+ shift arm since it was a 90 trans. I had a local that was running one in a about full tilt 6262 car going low 10's at almost 150. It lasted through a couple tcases and a rear i think. Would have lasted longer but he put a quartermaster in it.

Anywho nice progress on the car. I regret sending that nasty reverse switch with that one. IIRC oreallys has new ones for like $9, not as nice as an OE but not rusty LOL.

just a basic build with all the weak points fixed. Stock 2 spider holds up good if you are not trying to be john force, First thing that happens is the upper thrust washer gets welded to the cap, and smeared around, the upper torrington bearing helps a lot. Then the 3/4 fork gets the roll pin pulled out the bottom so we put a second one it that greatly improves the strength. Next the 3/4 shift rail on the early trans can break if you look at it wrong. I have a billet chrome moly replacement that I am getting close to releasing. Then the 1/2 shift fork gets the one finger broke off easily. Next stop for the piece is typically between the ring gear and the case, and the case never wins. I make a billet alumimum one that is much stronger and doesn't break. I have a couple mods to the synchronizer assemblies that I do to help out a bit. I think I also converted this one to a 91+ shift arm since it was a 90 trans. I had a local that was running one in a about full tilt 6262 car going low 10's at almost 150. It lasted through a couple tcases and a rear i think. Would have lasted longer but he put a quartermaster in it.

Anywho nice progress on the car. I regret sending that nasty reverse switch with that one. IIRC oreallys has new ones for like $9, not as nice as an OE but not rusty LOL.
LOL, John Force.
Hell yeah, Kurt! Couldn't have had a better hand in doing exactly what needed done, fixing all the weak points and the HD 90 gearset, too. Thanks, man! Pumped to 100% everything and get it rolling right, take it easy and break it in, too.

Damn, that local 10/150 car sounds nasty. Sport bike smackdown car right there.

Quick question, would you recommend the redline break in/LSD additive to the rear diff since happy Jack shot peened all the gears and needs a complete break in? Could never get a straightforward answer....haha.

Thank you, it's getting there, stoked to just wheel the car under mostly stock power and a big 16 G to get it on the road and work out the rest of the typical 30 year old DSM bugs.

I didn't pay attention, but does it have an evo LSD? If so, yeah put an lsd additive oil in it. If not, just a quality 80-90ish GL5 oil will be fine. I don't get too wrapped up in the whole breakin stuff. IMO the shotpeening should not change the surface enough to need a rebreakin. you are pelting a diamond with led balls basically.

I didn't pay attention, but does it have an evo LSD? If so, yeah put an lsd additive oil in it. If not, just a quality 80-90ish GL5 oil will be fine. I don't get too wrapped up in the whole breakin stuff. IMO the shotpeening should not change the surface enough to need a rebreakin. you are pelting a diamond with led balls basically.
Ah, ok. No, just the stock viscous B1H rear.
Picked up some Redline 80-140 for the rear diff, rated for limited slips diffs. Also redline 75-90NS for trans and Tranfer case. 🤘🤘

Ok, cool, thanks man! I'll just follow your instructions and giver an oil change.

You making it to the shootout this year?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back