The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1992 Talon Tsi AWD Re-habilitation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5/6/15:
Man, I'm really enjoying my staycation for the week :) More interior fun. Vacuumed and simple greened the body under the rear seat, gotta have it all nice and clean!

93sRlOXh.jpg

MO3MFkWh.jpg

I was missing a couple of the retainers, so I picked these up from NAPA which seemed to work well:
7EVqUthh.jpg

And you can see the comparison of oem (left) vs napa. Just to keep it consistent, I swapped out all the oem's for these on the 2 big panels that cover the 6x9s:

OonP7HSh.jpg

Cleaned up all the panels and let them dry, scrubbed the rear seat bottom down, then installed them:

XFa0F7wh.jpg

And a shot of my redone headliner that I put in last weekend:

5pehpNph.jpg

Also threw the passenger side a-pillar on and installed glove box.

And finally...... guess what's on its way back to me :) :) :) :) :)

cRNCuUB.jpg

6Iultqh.jpg

So sexy!

5/8/15:
More interior fun. Ordered the HKS type-0 timer and MIT-1 connector for it from extremepsi using some of my points that I've been saving. Installed that first today, plugged in and mounted the ecu, and hooked up the jump box for testing:

YhTw41Rl.jpg

Works! Now back to A-piller final installation. I was tired of those dinky little push-pins that hold the gauge pod to the pillar, so eff it, it got riveted:
aSIDBE7l.jpg

1/8" x 1/4" long rivets, worked perfectly.

Another test to make sure everything's still working:
CGRqNpfl.jpg

Then I pain-stakingly pulled all the wires thru, hooked up, jammed that back over to the side, between the dash and body. I trimmed a little piece out of the dash where the wires went, and also a little bit of the speaker cover, and now have about as tight a fit as possible:

272fYoIl.jpg

Next up, back to the engine! Grabbed some new stuff, with the inspection cover being 1 of the last 2 in the country, so if you want that last one, better call @jnztuning

2yvGiBfl.jpg

sweet man cant wait to see it I need one so ill be calling josh Monday morning for one whats the gauge on top I like the new innovative one may sell my lc1 and hallbro and upgrade to that down the road but get her on the road soon.

Wow! That looks wild and liking the colour of your Talon. I just got my car back from Magnus and he rebuilt and upgraded my clutch with a exceddy stage 2 and a upgraded transmission which was worth every penny. Had a problem with my computer after I got it back from DSM link but they fixed it. I'm having some problems,s with my boost controller and replaced and upgraded my injectors, but they were sitting for 10 plus years. All of the work done on your car look amazing. Did you paint or have to replace stock decals? I am looking for the side skirt stickers which are no where to be seen. I got my car retuned and made 380 whp with the new 1000cc injectors and with a 20 g turbo not bad. You are making all the right mods and keeping it street able is smart. My ac still is cold and like my stereo. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Wow! That looks wild and liking the colour of your Talon. I just got my car back from Magnus and he rebuilt and upgraded my clutch with a exceddy stage 2 and a upgraded transmission which was worth every penny. Had a problem with my computer after I got it back from DSM link but they fixed it. I'm having some problems,s with my boost controller and replaced and upgraded my injectors, but they were sitting for 10 plus years. All of the work done on your car look amazing. Did you paint or have to replace stock decals? I am looking for the side skirt stickers which are no where to be seen. I got my car retuned and made 380 whp with the new 1000cc injectors and with a 20 g turbo not bad. You are making all the right mods and keeping it street able is smart. My ac still is cold and like my stereo. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

My talon is 100% original, paint, stickers, interior, etc. Still matching numbers too.

I ordered this sticker set just to have it, just for safety's sake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1G-Eagle-Ta...-1-SET-/141553723024?var=&hash=item20f5426690

I wish I had all this knowledge man, this is great work man. How the hell you know how to do all this?

I wish I had all this knowledge man, this is great work man. How the hell you know how to do all this?
HAHA, like any other dsmr. Get your first one, go drive around all happy, and snap a t-belt on a wot pull decel. I never touched a wrench before that happened, and once I got the laser back home, in summer 2000, I did snap that tbelt while the car was bone stock, bought a chilton's manual, and proceeded to teach myself. Being naturally smart with a degree in mechanical engineering did help with theory and backgrounds, but there's nothing like getting your hands dirty and doing/learning yourself. It just called to me, and became so secondhand after awhile, that all my friends and local guys came to me for help/advice. We'd wrench together, learn together, and 15 years later, I'm happy doing it all myself, remembering all the little 4g63 trinkets I had forgotten, and having to learn all the new technology that we're using today.

This build started about 2 years ago, never ever ever did I put this much work into what most regular people would call a little pos car, but this one will be my last one, and I'm doing it as right as I can, with a touch of Tony magic along the way.

You are the best my friend! The sticker set is exactly what I needed! I have been using your restoration for what I need for the ins and outs of my return to life of my Talon. Everything you have done has given me the fire under my ass to make my car perfect. I'm going to take out the interior and make it better. Being in Canada certain things are a little harder to find. The two types of interior plugs for the panels were interesting, where did you buy them from Napa? There are another interior clip that is around the rear window 6x9 panel that you pop the middle portion then remove. Did you find a replacement for those pins?

@dkalfop I did go to NAPA for replacement panel retaining clips, just keep in mind you won't find an "exact" match to what was oem original, but the selection of those things is pretty good and you can get pretty close. If you're referring to the top 3 push-the-middle-in-to-get-them-out things near the little rear window, I did see those on the rack too, but they're all black ones, so they'd need to be painted grey to match the original panels. I might need a few, I haven't taken inventory of all that I'm missing yet, since I didn't put the rear hatch panels back in yet, but I'm about to in the next day or two, and those have a lot of the push-type pins.

I also plan on taking a trip to @Stangmurdera 's place (ie Miller Import Parts), and getting all the 1g interior pieces I need or want to swap out for better pieces from whatever ^^^ Stevie has at his yard as far as 1g's go.

If you want to see a huge range of them, just type "interior trim clip" in the ebay search line and check out the 100,000 results there, but that's nothing like going to your local auto parts store and matching them up in person.

So on to a little more weekend progress, prepping for my trans/tcase arrival on Tuesday, competition clutch steel lightweight flywheel installed with ARP hardware, installed per arp's instructions to 95ft-lbs:

bvTOKqXh.jpg

CompClutch stage 3 clutch installed:

RaNGFXhh.jpg

Sanded the red off the valve cover and applied a coat of bahama blue metallic, more coats to come:

Ad29dIsh.jpg

and another box of parts from JNZ, including a BRAND NEW 1g power mirror switch, on clearance in the warehouse for $21. Its new-old stock from 1994, LOL. How good is that?

7Gr8U77h.jpg

And another interesting find, my fog are the stock "cat eye" foglight housings, but for some reason there are 880 lamps in there instead of the specified H3's:

WkoqPK6h.jpg

I actually like this better, so I ordered HID kits for low beam (10k blue) and fogs (3k yellow), so I have that total ricer look when it comes to looks. Just a little hint of bark to go with the cars bite :rocks:

HAHA, like any other dsmr. Get your first one, go drive around all happy, and snap a t-belt on a wot pull decel. I never touched a wrench before that happened, and once I got the laser back home, in summer 2000, I did snap that tbelt while the car was bone stock, bought a chilton's manual, and proceeded to teach myself. Being naturally smart with a degree in mechanical engineering did help with theory and backgrounds, but there's nothing like getting your hands dirty and doing/learning yourself. It just called to me, and became so secondhand after awhile, that all my friends and local guys came to me for help/advice. We'd wrench together, learn together, and 15 years later, I'm happy doing it all myself, remembering all the little 4g63 trinkets I had forgotten, and having to learn all the new technology that we're using today.

This build started about 2 years ago, never ever ever did I put this much work into what most regular people would call a little pos car, but this one will be my last one, and I'm doing it as right as I can, with a touch of Tony magic along the way.

Im not good with books or studying LOL. But really man you did one hell of a job doing all this to your car by yourself.

5/16/15:
Up until today, did a few things... Let's see... Ordered 10k blue low beam and 3k yellow fog light hid kits:

APDNialh.jpg

Also found an old 10" powered bazooka tube I had in my shed, threw that in the hatch area and it sounds ok for 65 watts or whatever dinky rating they are. Better than nothing until I figure out my long-term sub setup.

Then on to today!
bdbcfy8h.jpg

Put the car on the lift, put the trans on the trans jack, and up she went, slid in nicely:
asrrCpwh.jpg

Oh yea, as you can see from the car-on-the-lift-pic, also have all the A/C refrigerant lines and condenser installed. I sandblasted the cap for the compressor so I'm letting that dry. I'm pooped for today so that'll go in tomorrow, then passenger axle, and I'll throw the vacuum pump on the system and see how I make out.

Had to re-arrange my little power/ground distribution center to avoid the fat a/c line at the firewall, so I flipped the mounting tab upside down
and remounted it, sorta at an angle now, but still functions the same:
3ZsuqpNh.jpg

And because I'm a bit of a whackjob, I now have my matching numbers car proof, here's the block:
kBXBhzth.jpg

Here's the trans:
enHDJjmh.jpg

Kinda silly we're talking about matching numbers on a DSM, but whatever, mine's "all original" :)

5/18/15:
Stopped at Advance on the way home and picked up a starter. Also stopped the liquor store to restock the shop fridge with some new flavor:
FJheWGnm.jpg

But before I got to that, I wanted to throw some vacuum on my newly installed A/C system. Hooked up the gauge manifold and got the pump ready:
5vB4Efbh.jpg

Started up the pump and followed the FSM instructions to let it run for 10 minutes. Then shut the pump off and waited. After 10 minutes, rock steady -30psi minimum:
dvnGYnZh.jpg

I let it sit like that for about another hour and it still didn't change, so I think I'm good on the a/c system sealing :)

Here's a shot of the 2 R134a conversion fittings, the high side is mounted to the motor mount, the low side is on the top of the compressor:
vfQyOqph.jpg

Next up, installed the starter. But first I took that piece of wiring that's all loomed together, removed the loom, degreased it, and re-loomed it. Cut the existing ends off on the battery/firewall ground side, since they'd be going into my little setup:
VXud24Ph.jpg

WpMGQZKh.jpg

With that harness connected, +12v applied via jump box, and shifter in reverse, we get.......... reverse lights!

GCCI42oh.jpg

We also get more lights in the dash now:
kgv1Uhrh.jpg

And finally for tonight, some test fitment of the Mishimoto rad and SPAL fan, looks like we have a lovely amount of clearance:

eXJOj2Vh.jpg

Another angle:

7WBpu49h.jpg

5/19/15:
Continued playing with the radiator tonight, mounting the fans:

Tj8tIsDh.jpg

Installed radiator assembly, wired up, tested working with the a/c switch, both fans operate :)

duVfJi0h.jpg

Cleaned up the fins on the FMIC and removed all the rocks with a little pick tool, gave it a little exterior cleaning and mounted it up:

lxEmvIwh.jpg

Also ran 2 of the 4 vacuum linesets so far:

ZY1BvwUh.jpg

Last 2 are the the brake booster, which I'll tee off of before the check valve to bring in the idle air from the nissan evap valve thingy, and the other remaining will go to the bov.

5/19/15:
Continued playing with the radiator tonight, mounting the fans:

View attachment 267997

Installed radiator assembly, wired up, tested working with the a/c switch, both fans operate :)

View attachment 267998

Cleaned up the fins on the FMIC and removed all the rocks with a little pick tool, gave it a little exterior cleaning and mounted it up:

View attachment 267999

Also ran 2 of the 4 vacuum linesets so far:

View attachment 268000

Last 2 are the the brake booster, which I'll tee off of before the check valve to bring in the idle air from the nissan evap valve thingy, and the other remaining will go to the bov.
Car is looking very good. Love the attention to detail. What brand and size fans are you using on the radiator setup?

Car is looking very good. Love the attention to detail. What brand and size fans are you using on the radiator setup?

EWYgEQJh.jpg

They fit absolutely perfect, and I wanted those cool looking submarine propeller looking blades, so that's what I got. I snipped off the factory wiring harnesses at the factory fans, so they are in full use, including the resistor on the a/c fan harness.

Great I gotta get a new a radiator mines leaking and need two fans to complete the cooling, getting there man me too should have our cars done around the same time.

5/20/15:
Working under the car right now. Just wanted to post a couple shots from underneath. For some reason the oem specified length for the Alternator Belt wouldn't fit, it was too short. So I went with a 40-3/4" belt from NAPA, seemed to fit ok, and still gave me about 1/2" of extra room to tension it up if it stretches a little. Could be because the Gvr4 alternator has a 5mm larger diameter pulley, but even then, the specified length for both cars is the same. But whatever, its on now:

Q85xDLjh.jpg

And here's 1 of 2 brand new inspection shields left in the US, it's been a week since @jnztuning grabbed this for me, so the other one probably sold already:

N54dVkEh.jpg

PS, don't mind my IAT sensor hanging there, LOL. Also routed up the jnz ss clutch line from master to slave, and I'm using a new Aisin slave.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back