The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1992 Talon TSI 6/4 AUTO

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well.....I made the leap of faith.
The county shut my road down ( dam the luck) so I SWITCHED OVER TO E something 70, 60 IDK. Here is a little pull after the switch on my poor shut down "hit road"... :(
8500 in 3rd, felt good!!!! While in Mexico.
:cool:
Still tuning!
No NOS.....yet :shhh:

Lost 4th after that run, but I hurt OD earlier on playin with some kids so I knew it was weak.
I have an IPT endclutch kit in stock so that will be fixed very soon.
Thanks for suffering thru with me!!!
She still ran 8500 in 3rd as i went by so she is functioning good at 30+ lbs.

The car sounds awesome! I’d say you buzzed the tower on that one:rocks:

Yeh Jeremy, I think that was the best fly by yet and a big thanks to my son for grabbing the GoPro when he heard me leave the house.....he had an idea something was gonna happen. He is my videographer and does a good job! Thanks Trevor!! And sorry little Talon, I will get your overdrive back real soon. This heat wave is not a good thing for working in the shop, the shade tree is better.
Stay "tuned".....:thumb:

Just a log of the first run with Ethanol in the car. It really picks up some JAM.....but I had a 4th gear failure.
I found the rev limiter on a skipped shift (went from 2nd to 4th) at 8750, but she was wanting to rev on up to 9k.
I have the IPT endclutch kit already as I had a feeling OD was getting weak. Hoping to get her fixed before Sunday so I can enjoy a day of NO WORK, ..........not holding my breath on that one.

Attachments

• log.2020.06.17-03 lost OD ON THIS PULL sad.elg
    321.1 KB · Views: 94
So.....fixed overdrive. I had some very wavy steel plates in it LOL. Put my IPT kit in and she was working like a champ.......then.....
I roasted, actually WELDED it, all together. Car wouldn't move. Acted like it was in 2 gears at once. Well here is what happened. I had auto upshift enabled and it went to shift when I pressed the shift button so she skipped 3rd, AGAIN, LAID on the limiter at 8750-8850 and roasted 4th.
Pictures.....and 2 more IPT kits on order.
I will be locking out 4th before I do more tuning.
Those plates are stuck together.
Endclutch toast.jpg

Well I welded 4th gear together here....
Just got it loaded up, my phone hates me so I have to dump it.

A few "new" items, to help hit the 10s if possible with my setup. We're all gonna see, that's for sure.
I have had my eye on this system for a while. It has TPS and Boost source inputs so it is a stand alone unit....NCU. Along with the separate ECU and TCU for her. :thumb:
Stay "tuned"
Pops
Screenshot_20200706-184456_Samsung Internet.jpg

But he's fast as hell, so you have to catch him to tease him! :p

Got a mention from Kyle from 1320 Video. Wish he would have stepped around back to see THEIR STICKER on my car!!!
Thanks for the props Kyle!!! :thumb: :D :cool:
Pops

Found my car on 1320 Video Snap Chat from
07/18/2020 in "Downtown" Independence KS after the Airstip Attack 2020 at our airport. If my stick car was running, I would have entered it!
Just HAD to share. I ALMOST stepped on my 2 step after they pulled in in their Porsche and did the same. Dam I wish I had!
It was all on this mornings Snap. (7/19/20).
I do have Gopro video of the cars all parked. :thumb:
Pops :sneaky:

The car gets kinda rowdy sometimes and I want both hands on the wheel so I put another set of buttons on the steering wheel for Up and Down Shifts and, let me say, I enjoy shifting when the controls are right there, not down on the console or in one hand trying to push a button.
So here is a picture and the link to my video.
20200727_155234_resized.jpg

Link to push button shifter on my steering wheel

Marty

Last edited:
Hell yea, very cool! I think I saw someone that used the magnesium column shifter arms from a an evo x in a similar fashion. I have to say it is pretty awesome shifting the evo x without taking hands off the wheel (and its not rowdy at all). If I end up going auto with the silver car, thats on my list of to-dos

I actually like "shifting" with them now guys (car is still on the lift though). I was used to the Shiftbox shifting for me but now it really makes the auto more enjoyable and those buttons are not stiff, they take a push but nothing hard, just a light push and the gear changes (or is SUPPOSE TO, if I could get my valve body to do its work after that OD burnout).
The button assembly's were around $70 but are made very well and aren't cheapo buttons. :thumb:
Everything on my wheel now just needs grounded and that function works, so it is wired up with a CB microphone cord that allows the wheel to turn and have plenty of slack as you turn so it has no effect on the wiring (Nascar uses the same type of wire on their wheels).
The "Purge" button is actually "Scramble Boost" but that wouldn't fit on the button, even "SCRAMBLE" was a bit to long, but I know what it is and what it does and it is pretty dam cool too.
Thanks guys!
Marty

Oh jesus, this old man is going to terrorize that poor little Kansas town.
If his old ass can get that auto to shift again.
It has been interesting to tear back apart and see what is really going on Nick! :ohdamn: :)

So you switched your 5 speed manual for an auto? Mind pming me the advantages? I mean im not going to do it to my current one but maybe in the future on a different build.

No I have 2 other 5 speed cars. My only auto car had and issue after my TCU shifted at the same time I shifted, which skipped 3rd at 8800 and 33 lbs boost and went right into overdrive, which roasted it. Since then the trans has had some shifting issues which I am trying to remedy now.
Advantages for auto cars is you never loose boost once in it. I like rowing gears but this auto car is very fun and fast. My other profiles show the 2 other stick shift 1gs (and a stick shift 2g).

So after a complete teardown of the Valve Body, I now have all gears although I have a 3rd gear delay/slide. Hoping it isnt the front clutch pak. I feel like it is the servo being slow but I'm going to just drive her and see how it all pans out!
She got a new set of shoes too! Much better grip now when she wants to be rowdy!!!:thumb:
20200911_175231.jpg
20200912_091522.jpg
20200912_104437.jpg
20200912_131609.jpg
20200912_131624.jpg
20200912_131639.jpg

Well I decided to have one of my spare auto transmissions rebuilt by a reputable local builder so I can hit the track in the spring for a chance at hitting 10.9.
Complete IPT kit, restalled converter maybe, and this DTR welded center differential with the NOS installed and live.
Since this car sees alot of straight line hard hits, it seemed like the thing to do to not destroy anything. DTR said that it needed serviced anyway as the spider shims were just about toast. It had obviously seen some hard use.
Thanks for following along, the Red 90 is getting alot of attention also so stay tuned.
Pops
20201127_085816.jpg

So the rebuilt IPT transmission (built by Bill Swaney Transmissions) went in this weekend (4/4/2021) and so far so good. I couldn't get the cv shaft to let loose on the passenger side no matter what I tried so I ordered another shaft for that side and got the trans up and bolted in. Only needing the converter bolted up and the axles put in and fluid. I am ready to see how this new unit works with all IPT internals and a welded center differential by @Darren Thomas Racing, thanks Darren! I made a converter hold down strap out of an old 6 bolt oil pump pickup leg that I had cut off to use with a Kiggly girdle and that thing was a life saver after indexing the converter and bolts right to one of the transfer case holes so you can remove it after the thing is in the car! :thumb:
Thanks for following along on this "journey"!
I will be adding one additional cooler to the setup, and will post up some pictures when that happens also.
Getting my Hankook Ventus drag radials mounted also...…..:cool:
Marty

20210402_170636_resized.jpg

20210403_124940_resized.jpg

20210403_125220_resized.jpg

20210403_125208_resized.jpg

20210404_143802_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back