The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1992 Plymouth Laser RS daily

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajpm26

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2010
Niles, Illinois
Current goals: Fun daily with 350ish whp.

Mods:
act 2600 w/ street disc
act lightweight flywheel
built tre trans
enginetecs port and polished head
18g w/ 14b compressor housing machined to fit 18g wheel and ported hotside
780cc injectors
2g maf
intake hardpipe
prosport oil pressure and boost gauge
forced performance exhaust manifold
o2 eliminator 3" downpipe
aem wideband
ostrich(need to set up)
cx racing aluminum radiator with slim fan
megan racing exhaust
17"excel speed wheels
slotted brembo front rotors and stoptech brake pads

Original post:
Onto my third dsm, second awd dsm, first 1g awd, etc etc... Its first one good enough to drive it all the way back to my house without any hiccups and be reliable enough to drive it without worries.

Story is, I joined the national guard, got back from basic training and ait, told myself I wouldn't get another dsm but I just couldn't resist, everything else I looked at just wasn't appealing to me, so I went looking for a 2g I could put all my parts in out of my rusty 2g, came up on a great deal on a laser and couldn't resist.

azgow3z8ukzf4ynjulrhd3s33uh68t7n.jpg

(pic stolen from p.o)

Mods:
Megan cat back exhaust
high flow cat
act 2600 and lightweight flywheel
ported head
tre trans (GVR4 first gear, double-synchro 1st and 2nd, upgraded 3/4 clutch forks, shortened throw)
Solid shifter plate, cable, and cable bracket bushings
2g maf and intake
koni yellows
750cc injectors
socketed ecu with custom chip
supra fuel pump
2g awd front brakes
sx fpr modified by burschur to bolt on directly to the fuel rail
manual seat belts
17" wheels
and a few other things

Plans are to swap in my 2g flashable ecu, get coilovers, make sub 400whp, and eventually put my talon exterior on it(front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper and taillights), oh and mostly, maintain it.

Only problems it has is a few missing interior panels, interior is all red, needs a new passenger side window motor(window only goes half way down), trunk has some rust, and of course paint isn't the best, but compared to my first 1g, this paint's pretty damn good.

Thankfully still having my 1g talon shell, today I pulled out the red interior and swapped it with my black carpet and gray seats. Looks 100 times better IMO.

In the process of swapping it out:
20120516_130129.jpg

Putting the new stuff in:
20120516_125800.jpg

And I completely forgot about taking a picture after it was done, just glad it's all swapped out now.

Also, had these laying around for my 2g, but since I'm parting it out, might as well put 'em to use on the laser:
brembos.jpg

Evo 8 front brembos and brackets :D

Well, that's it for tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to swap wheels with my 2g, adjust the clutch(engagement's at the very bottom), try and see if my 2g smic hardpiping will fit, give it a much needed car wash, and see what else I can do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty jealous, man. Good find. May I ask how much you picked her up for?

I'm pretty jealous, man. Good find. May I ask how much you picked her up for?

He was asking 2500, I was gonna talk him down but he was an honest guy and took pretty good care of it so I gave him the 2500 he was asking.

Today I noticed that the radiator was leaking from the plastic endtanks so I just ordered an aluminum radiator off of ebay. Also got a new fp manifold for 150 with gaskets and bolts from a buddy :D

I'll give some real updates of whats going on tomorrow.

Very nice! Just don't let Keiya know you have it and for sure don't tell him you're putting Talon exterior on it! LOL

Very nice! Just don't let Keiya know you have it and for sure don't tell him you're putting Talon exterior on it! LOL

Haha, I just love the way 1g talon's look, specifically their taillights and rear bumper, I always thought the laser and eclipse 1g rear ends were ugly, no offense.

So a few days ago I took the wheels off my 2g and put 'em on the laser, as soon as I took off the front wheels I noticed the rotors didn't look like awd ones so I took em off, and I was right. Oh well, good thing I got new slotted rotors and new pads on the 2g so I swapped those out also.

Hard to tell in the picture, but in person you can definitely notice they weren't the right ones.
20120518_113058.jpg

Wrong rotors over the slotter awd ones.
20120518_114105.jpg

And a quick pic in front of the girlfriends house after I gave it a wash. Looks so much cleaner now.
20120518_171441.jpg

Well thats about it for now, waiting for lots of parts to come in :D (frontmount, aluminum radiator, bigger turbo, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm, I love when parts come in,
20120601_114158.jpg

aem wideband, prosport boost and oil pressure gauges, 3 pod a pillar, single din radio(need to find a radio install kit if anyone has one)
20120601_114216.jpg

bastard 14b(18g wheel, 7cm hotside)
20120601_114227.jpg

ported hotside
20120601_114350.jpg

fp manifold and misc. bolts
20120605_184733.jpg

aluminum ebay(cxracing) radiator, and I have a slim fan for it

Gonna install the gauges tonight and start putting the rest of the things on soon.

I love white 1gb lasers! Had a 92 awd in white with 88k miles clean as a whistle. And sold it :( LOL take care of it! I think I saw it on Craig's a while ago.

Haven't updated this in a while, not that anyone cares XD

Went to annual training in Iowa for two weeks, had some fun offroading hmmwv's :)

So my clutch started slipping terribly, ordered a new clutch, tob, and pivot ball, my spare pedal assembly started wearing out again so I ordered brass bushings and going to have it welded by a buddy. Put the gauges in, I kind of wish I didn't go the a pillar route, it's a bigger blind spot than I thought but I'm used to it already.
Also, my prosport boost gauge stopped working, stays in vacuum and moves around sometimes, I need to figure that out.

Real updates coming this week.

Here is my previous white Laser 1GB:

I wish my paint looked that good.

Today I started taking taking the old parts off and putting the new parts on. I noticed my slave cylinder's boot was popped off and fluid leaking from it so I bought a new one and replaced it, I doubt it was the reason my clutch was slipping but I'm going to see if anthing changes before I swap out the clutch.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Got some hi temp primer and paint, did this on my old car's mani and exhaust housing, lasted for quite some time before it started to peel off slowly, I'm not a big fan of the rust look.

imagejpeg_5.jpg

Just took a pic of how dirty and greasy it was. Tomorrow I'm going to de grease it all and put the new parts on.

On a side note, I found out that my turbo has no coolant ports, after doing a quick google search it seems that my turbo's actually an 18g with a 14b compressor wheel. I'll have to look into it more but for now we'll see how well it runs. Also I got an interview at a really awesome performance shop on thursday, hopefully I get the job :D

Haven't been doing much lately since my slipping clutch has annoyed me to hell. I also need to take pics of the new set up, but anyways, I got a steal on a hx35 that'll I'm putting on once I reach the full potential of the turbo I just put on, so that won't be for a while, but other than that, I had a coolant leak that I couldn't figure out, ended up being my lower radiator hose splitting apart.

Fixed that, ordered an ebay turbo timer and p&p harness, and started figuring out a clean place to mount it.
imagejpeg_3.jpg

imagejpeg_2-2.jpg

Starting cutting out the area for it, going to clean up some of my wiring and install it tomorrow.

That's it for now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back