The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1992 Eclipse GSX 6-5-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been about a year since an update so I figured it was due haha. In that time I've done the timing belt+accesories, axle on driver side, rear brakes and installed link v3 with the idle tuned so it runs quite a bit better(smog guy was blown away by how clean my numbers were haha). Also did thermostat and coolant exchange because I thought I had air stuck in coolant system but my dumbass just had the big ass sensor by the thorttle body unplugged which was causing extremly high idle. Once I got all that stuff fixed you could hear a clanking noise coming from trans which would basically disappear with clutch engaged, possibly throw out bearing?

Well I drove it like that for about a week pretty short distances and something gave out in the trans I think. Was driving home and as I hit the corner onto my dead end street I throw the car into neutral turn the corner and as soon as I come out of it my car starts maing a rubbing/scraping noise, it was late so I parked it till the next day. Next day I tried to drive it and as soon as I went into revers to back out it started making a bad grinding/scraping noise, same thing in first gear. So i parked it in my garage, everything looks ok as far as brakes go but the passenger axle is pretty bad dunno if it could make that noise. Trans isn't leaking once I get some time ill drain and inspect the fluid. The trans pops out of 2nd sometimes and grinds first if im not completley still so I migt just bite the bulet and get a good used one or rebuild but I wanna make sure thats the clanking/grinding noise first haha.

Picked up a used trans for a pretty good price locally, it was dirty as shit but looks to be in ok shape from what I can tell(we'll see when I bolt it up haha). Got the trans about halfway out, just got to unbolt a couple more bolts and drop it. Decided I'm gonna take this opportunity to clean up/inspect and possibly port my turbo, debating getting a 16g and just upgrading while I got it all out which is my ultimate intention. I got some pretty nasty oil leaks from the turbo lines gonna clean those up and replace all the gaskets.

I got somewhat lucky on the exhaust mani, one bolt was already broken when I removed the heatsheild and another snapped when I nearly touched it haha. All the rest came out no prob and the two that broke didn't snap at the head so should hopefully be easy to get them out. Thank god for pb blaster ;)

Once I get the trans off and see if there's any major damage I'm going to pick up a southbend clutch and all the oem accessories for the trans(seals, new slave, pivot fork/ball etc).

I'll update with some pics when I get off work.

Found a nice big crack at the bottom of the exhaust mani, typical 1g problem haha
image-jpeg.308268.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back