The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1992 Eclipse as first car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouter van der Velde

Probationary Member
Sep 14, 2021
Heerde, Europe
Recently I bought a beautiful 1992 Eclipse and I love it!
One of the reasons for going for this car is the popup headlights, love them.
I live in The Netherlands and use it mostly for joy rides, going to school and friends.
Recently already replaced the radio and speakers.
I'm still searching for replacement trunk struts since mine are busted, and damn that is a heavy hatch.
Stoked to be a part of the community!

Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here in the US, pop ups were only available on the 90-91 models. 92-94 were fixed headlights. Are you sure yours is a 92? Or did they offer the pop ups for later years?

Here in the US, pop ups were only available on the 90-91 models. 92-94 were fixed headlights. Are you sure yours is a 92? Or did they offer the pop ups for later years?
You are correct and also the OP is probably correct. I am not sure about European Eclipse but Japanese Eclipse is like that. There was no 1Gb face. All 1Gs have the pop-up head lights.

Here's your hatch struts welcome to the forum!
Thanks a lot! Finally a site that doesn't charge $75 for shipping to The Netherlands.

As far as I know this is a 92, checked the VIN and it indeed says 92.

I recently got the Sachs hatch struts and was underwhelmed. Most times I have to help it lift the hatch all the way up, and when it does it by itself it take a long time. And yes, I lubricated the hinges. It's a hassle to do warranty exchanges on RA so I'll probably keep them. But from what I recall the original struts were quite strong and lifted the hatch up all the way fairly quickly.

And yes, I thought '92s had no pop-ups. My Talon doesn't. I know many folks like them but I actually prefer the fixed ones. I know pop-ups were a thing in the 80's.

Btw you're not a pro cyclist by any chance? Your name sounds like it. :D There are several high-ranked Wouters and Christian van der Velde was a top US cyclist from the Armstrong era. And if you're into bikes you have to be into cars.

Wow i bought my first one in 94 a non turbo red one loved it i had it in college, i loved it and ever since then. Owned several since them always one in my possesion good find. .

I see two problems with these cars as first rides. First one, which may be a good one but these cars are 30 some odd years old. So you will have to learn (which may be a good thing) how to work on it to keep it running and put in the elbow grease to keep it looking as good as the pictures you put up. And second is I assume with you mentioning school that you are younger so a two door coupe, insurance will be expensive. But you are already doing good cause this is the best DSM forum to be a part of. If you have any questions about your car chances are that you will find your answer in here. The people who love these cars REALLY love these cars! :cool:

My experience with my 29 year old turbo aws stick DSM (original and only owner) is that if you take care of them, they run well. Age does its thing but that's what good maintenance is about. The one downside is that it can be expensive. But that's true of all older cars, I think. Might as well be a fun one then.

I recently got the Sachs hatch struts and was underwhelmed. Most times I have to help it lift the hatch all the way up, and when it does it by itself it take a long time. And yes, I lubricated the hinges. It's a hassle to do warranty exchanges on RA so I'll probably keep them. But from what I recall the original struts were quite strong and lifted the hatch up all the way fairly quickly.

And yes, I thought '92s had no pop-ups. My Talon doesn't. I know many folks like them but I actually prefer the fixed ones. I know pop-ups were a thing in the 80's.

Btw you're not a pro cyclist by any chance? Your name sounds like it. :D There are several high-ranked Wouters and Christian van der Velde was a top US cyclist from the Armstrong era. And if you're into bikes you have to be into cars.
Ohw that sucks about the struts, I just ordered the original ones again.
Haha no professional cycling here, just casual mountainbiking

I see two problems with these cars as first rides. First one, which may be a good one but these cars are 30 some odd years old. So you will have to learn (which may be a good thing) how to work on it to keep it running and put in the elbow grease to keep it looking as good as the pictures you put up. And second is I assume with you mentioning school that you are younger so a two door coupe, insurance will be expensive. But you are already doing good cause this is the best DSM forum to be a part of. If you have any questions about your car chances are that you will find your answer in here. The people who love these cars REALLY love these cars! :cool:
Yes I am aware of the extra maintenance that comes with an older car, I don't mind working on it and I think it will be a fun experience.
Luckily the insurance is not too bad, but yeah you do pay a premium sadly.

I saw this forum pop up a lot when I searched on google so I'm happy I found it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back