The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 1991 Won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krille15

Probationary Member
Apr 7, 2021
Sundsvall, Europe
*** Moved from the manual & documents section on the 1990 DSM Tech Manual ***

Hi
It say Laser Talon on the cover of the PDF file does the info in there apply for a Mitsubishi Eclipse 1991 I have from Europe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find out why my engine is not starting it´s like nothing changed on the car.
It cranks but won't start. When I tried to check if it got spark I got no power into to coils themself.

The car has been sitting for 6 months because of Swedish winters but it has been in a cold garage.
The only problem before driving it into the garage was a little leaking coolant.
Do I need to have full coolant to be able to start the car at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find out why my engine is not starting it´s like nothing changed on the car.
It cranks but won't start. When I tried to check if it got spark I got no power into to coils themself.

The car has been sitting for 6 months because of Swedish winters but it has been in a cold garage.
The only problem before driving it into the garage was a little leaking coolant.
Do I need to have full coolant to be able to start the car at all?

No the coolant level won't impact the starting of the car. The coolant sensor can if it's disconnected or bad.

First thing I always ask is; does the check engine light turn on for 5 seconds and then turn off when you first turn the ignition on? On a turbo 1G the boost gauge will also move to 0 and stay there until you start cranking.

This indicates that the ECU is getting power and is active. If it doesn't nothing else interesting is going to happen.
Since capacitor leakage damage is so common with 1G ECUs it's always the first thing to check.

The DTM does a great job of discussing how the ECU works but you'll want the 1G Electrical manual at a minimum to diagnose. https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1g-dsm-circuit-diagrams-electrical-factory-service-manual.517377/

I'd grab the other 1G docs as well.

The coils get power from the ignition switch (which also powers the CEL in the dash so if the light doesn't turn on you also have to check for power) where the ECU get it's power from the MPI relay and fuse.

Hi
The Manual says LAser talon mine car is registered in Sweden (I am Swedish) So I wondered if it's the same for the European Eclipses 1G.
And thanks I hope its the MPI relay or fuse I tried to find the information on it but then people said Power transistor and crankshaft angle sensor or what it was and that sounded super hard to change the power transistor when its position on the engine it´s on a so bad place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back