The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1991 talon tsi timing belt tensioner pulley rubbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ggst1998

Proven Member
Jan 19, 2015
torrance, California
I was doing the timing belt install and replacing all the pulleys. It seems as if the pulley that I received in my kit is wrong. The tensioner pulley in the kit seems to be rubbing against the tensioner bracket. Is this a manufacturer error or did I order the wrong kit? I don't want to put a washer behind the pulley becuase that seems to cheap and it's not reassuring seeing as though that if that washer fails then my engine could be toast. Does anyone know the right part number to buy?

Solution
So I figured out the problem. It seems that the kit I bought. Which was a gates timing kit I got off of rock auto was for a 7 bolt 1g. So for some reason I guess the 6 bolt tensioner pulley gives extra clearance.
I'll buy that part and see if it helps. Well the kit came with all the pulleys including the balance shaft pulley. But it still seemed to rub the back. I'll let u guys know what happens

What kit did you buy? There are some differences in The 4g63 but the most important part after choosing the right one is buying a quality kit. I know gates kits have taken a hit recently with faulty tensioners.

Show us a picture....it's worth a thousand words. :thumb:

Which way are you turning the pulley? If I recall 1g and 2g have different pulleys. I also know they will interchange but it's not correct. Again going off memory but I think the offset is different so the belt doesnt ride correctly. What kit do you have and what motor. If its originall you should have a six bolt

Ain't that the truth! I timed my engine on the stand probably a half dozen times just so I had practice before I had to try to do one in a car. Really not hard, just a PITA to get to in the engine bay.
One thing to note is that the 1990 Idler pulley is no longer available. It uses a long shank bolt where the next years used a recessed hole in the pulley and a much shorter bolt. That is worth publishing since I ordered all the timing parts for a '90 without knowing the thicker pulley had been replaced and I didn't order the short bolt to use with it, so I had to wait a few days on one bolt to do my timing job for my Laser.

So I attempted to fix the tensioner with ordering the 91 6 bolt pulley. It still doesn't fit. Should I use the 7 bolt pulley? I'm really lost. I'm just using a generic timing belt kit. But it seems none of the tensioner I've bought fits.

The timing belt is the right size and all the other pulleys fit including the water pump that came with it

This isn't of my car because it's really dark rn but this is the pulley that's rubbing. Are any pulleys made differently? From what it looks like is that none of the timing belt kits that I'm buying has a pulley that fits. If I still can't find the right one then I'll have to replace the entire tensioner assembly. Which I don't want to do

Attachments

• IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 107
Are you using the correct tensioner arm? The title says 91 and your username suggests you have a 2g. Is this a 6 bolt swap? If it's a 6 bolt engine with a 6 bolt tensioner arm, there is no reason the 6 bolt pulley should be rubbing it.

I bought the car with 118k miles on it and I do believe it's the stock 6 bolt. However I don't know exactly. The balance shaft on it is deleted which I know won't make a difference. I'll try getting a 7 bolt tensioner pulley and update u guys.

Are you using the correct tensioner arm? The title says 91 and your username suggests you have a 2g.

Sorry I sold that car and bought a 1991 talon tsi. I just don't know how to change username LOL.

That was my next guess I feel like it could be a tensioner arm problem. If the 7 bolt idler pulley doesn't fit than I'll buy the tensioner arm. Does anyone know how to tell if between 6 and 7 bolt without pulling the tranny by chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know that one pulley would rub on the others arm for sure, it was just an idea. I wouldn't recommend just buying parts you don't know will fit though LOL.
If you post some pictures when you have better light I'm sure one of us will be able to figure out what's going on.

Throwing parts at it is a bad idea. Figure out what motor you have THEN verify what you need. Tensioner pulley isnt a difficult item and the part numbers and changes are well understood.

If you bought a kit tell us which kit. Also tell us when you tension the pulley is it dots up or dots down. In your situation it should be dots up. Look at the above description on telling which motor you have and post back. This discussion is getting more complicated than it needs to be.

So I figured out the problem. It seems that the kit I bought. Which was a gates timing kit I got off of rock auto was for a 7 bolt 1g. So for some reason I guess the 6 bolt tensioner pulley gives extra clearance.

Solution
I know this is now resolved, but just saying this could have went smoother if:

1. You had a vehicle profile (Since username is misleading)
2. You would have posted a picture after the first person asked.

Although, I am glad you got it figured out use this for future reference. If this comes across rude I apologize it is not my intention just trying to help you help us to help you haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back