The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1991 Eclipse GST - Volume: Shake My Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Funkenstein

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 5, 2010
Bangfield, Massachusetts
Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember me, but in all fairness most of you probably don't. Over the summer I purchased a 1991 Eclipse GST with 166,XXX miles on the clock for $1,000. It needed a few things fixed on it, but what 20+ year old car doesn't?

Little did I know, that every time I fixed one thing, two more things would break on it. So far I have replaced the hatch struts, alternator (VR4 version), power-steering pump, driver's side mirror, battery, calipers and pads (EBC Green Stuff; rotors were brand new), radiator and a bunch of hoses. I installed my Alpine head unit, NGK spark plugs and wires and a K&N air filter.

Seems like a good start, right? Wrong. As it sits now, it needs a new head gasket. I was undecided between selling the car and keeping it. In the end, I realized I wouldn't get back even half the money I invested into it, so I decided to keep it. Funds are low at the moment because I got laid off. However, I should be going back to work soon and thusly am ready for phase two of my project.

I plan on this being my daily driver. Some may call be crazy and some may call me a moron. Both accusations may be correct. However, this is my goal. I will be stacking away money once I start working again so I can drive my baby. While I am getting the head gasket replaced, I figured I may replace a few other things. The plan so far is as follows:

1. Head gasket. (OEM or MLS?)
2. Timing belt. (OEM or aftermarket? i.e. GReddy)
3. Water pump.
4. Valve stem seals.
5. Lifters (Re-visioned or 3G?)
6. Balance shaft eliminator kit (Mitsubishi or RRE?)
7. ARP head studs

I'd appreciate your opinions on the above. Also, let me know if I am missing anything I should look into. I had spoke to my father's mechanic a couple months ago and he quoted me at around $1,300 for the HG, TB and WP, so I hope to keep this under $2,000. I should also mention that I am still leaking power-steering fluid from somewhere above the exhaust. I also need new tires and to take care of the rust.

What did I get myself into?:ohdamn:

Sorry for the long post, so here are some pictures of my baby.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Holy crap.

I haven't started my baby since November and she just started on the first try. What a beast!

Wow, really guys? My dsm mechanic friend has been using Autozone water pumps in our dsms for years with no problem. I recently had a timing belt changed with the water pump and the hydraulic tensioner and pulleys. I paid 260 for all the parts. All were oem except water pump. I and btw he has a 600 hp 2G up in Bloomingdale ;)

Don't go with OEM timing components they are over priced and you can get higher quality for less.

PCI uses Gates racing timing belts and sells them way cheaper, they use their own pulleys though. Their kits come in kevlar/nonkevlar belt kits.

I also agree with the Cometic head gasket. They are easy to install and you can make crazy power on them.

Okay, where the hell is the fill plug on the tranny? I watched the 2G GSX video on changing the tranny fluid, but its not the same.

Holy crap.

I haven't started my baby since November and she just started on the first try. What a beast!

Good deal! Most of the guys that hate these cars are the ones that tried to cut corners. Do it right (it seems that you're trying) and you'll love it! I remember you too. I'm glad to see that you still have your car. Invest in some new shocks to go along with those new tires. You will not believe how well these cars ride and handle. KYB GR2's are inexpensive and are a slight upgrade from stock.

Okay, what the hell is going on here?

When I parked the car in November, the car was grinding in between gears, so I took off the drain plug and no fluid came out.

I just put a quart and a half of Syncromesh in the fill plug to try to flush out any metal shaving or whatever before I fill it all the way up. It has about a quart and a half of Syncromesh in it and nothing is coming out the drain plug. Its on level ground.

Any ideas?

Well, I think I put a quart and a half of tranny fluid into the bell housing. I thought the tranny fluid fill plug was the drain plug and the bell housing fill plug was the tranny fluid fill plug. Finally found the real drain plug though, haha. Will the fluid I put into the bell housing screw it up?

Well, I think I put a quart and a half of tranny fluid into the bell housing. I thought the tranny fluid fill plug was the drain plug and the bell housing fill plug was the tranny fluid fill plug. Finally found the real drain plug though, haha. Will the fluid I put into the bell housing screw it up?

You put fluid in the bell housing :confused: So you poured it all over your flyweel and clutch and nothing leaked out :confused: That doesn't sound right to me.

Here is how to fill the transmission:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what it was. It was a 19mm bolt on the top of the transmission. Like, the tranny fill plug is on the front, this is right on top.

Anyways, I finally found the real drain plug, ran to sears and got a 24mm socket and drained the fluid. It was really nasty and smelled like 5 year old Chinese food. A little over a quart came drained out, but luckily there were no metal shavings on the drain plug. I bought the wrong size hose to fill up with, so I'm calling it quits for the day.

Here is the bolt in question. Let's hope I didn't mess up my car.

1. Head gasket. (MLS, COMETIC)
2. Timing belt. (GATES RACING)
3. Water pump. (OEM)
4. Valve stem seals. (OEM)
5. Lifters. (3G)
6. Balance shaft eliminator kit. (MITSUBISHI)
7. ARP head studs. ( YES YES YES)

"I had spoke to my father's mechanic a couple months ago and he quoted me at around $1,300 for the HG, TB, WP"
That's pretty high. For 1300 he better be reworking your head with new valves and valve stem seals. We usually offer to do Timing belts and waterpumps when we do headgaskets and we only charge 175 for labor and 600 for headgasket. So he quoted you pretty high.

Really? Because the shop near my house that I called quoted me at $3,000. I still have another month or two until I have the money saved up, but I'm going to talk to him in greater detail about everything he plans on doing.

Wow, that's pretty high.

I Geuss when you go by the books and add up all the hours per job it gets up there. We base every job off of what we think it will take, were not out to rape anyone.

I recommend a Cometic head gasket.
You have a Reason?

1. Head gasket. (MLS, COMETIC)

Or you?

Don't go with OEM timing components they are over priced and you can get higher quality for less.

PCI uses Gates racing timing belts and sells them way cheaper, they use their own pulleys though. Their kits come in kevlar/nonkevlar belt kits.

I also agree with the Cometic head gasket. They are easy to install and you can make crazy power on them.

Or for that matter, Did any of you even read the Informative Post from 9!eclipse. Posted in the beginning of this thread??? Pretty much Summed up MLS vs composite H/g's an stole the words out of my Mouth:thumb:

Also, I 99% of the Time use OEM parts any wouldn't recommend using anything But them. Aside for a few comparability price brands out their. Dsm'rs need to learn to not be so cheap most of the (GOOD) parts out there for are cars are not that expensive to begain with...

I made the mistake of using a PCI water pump (In a hurry):nono: when I rebuilt my motor probably the only part that wasn't OEM an Guess what? less then 15k miles later it Seized up on me on I-5:notgood:

OP, don't pay anyone that much. I would ask for a detailed quote for all the work that is being done... and Shop around a bit or better yet Do as much of the work as you can yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or for that matter, Did any of you even read the Informative Post from 9!eclipse. Posted in the beginning of this thread??? Pretty much Summed up MLS vs composite H/g's an stole the words out of my Mouth:thumb:

You mean read the rest of the posts before posting? That's a novel idea :thumb:

4. Valve stem seals. (OEM)

Actually valve stem seals are one thing I wouldn't use OEM on a mild performance build. They will work but I would recommend the blue Viton seals.

Well, I decided to put my Eclipse up on Craigslist. I don't have the time or patience to finish it anymore and I need a pickup truck ASAP for work. If anyone lives around Western Massachusetts and is interested, send me a PM.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST - 5-Speed Turbo

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back