The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1991 coil pack in a 1992? Please help cant get to work tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Coil pack is bad on my 1992 6 bolt. I went and bought one from Autozone for a 1991 because I believe the coil pack popping up for a 1992 is for the 7 bolt.

Once I got home though, I notice that the one I got for a 1991, which looks completely identical to the one I have, has a different style plug. It actually has a four prong plug in a square shape rather then the triangle shaped three prong plug that is on there now.

No idea why? And Can I somehow make it work? No one else has one in town and I wont make it back to work tomorrow if I can't figure this out.

Please help me!!!!

91-94 coil packs are 3 wires. you must have bought a 1990 4 wire square plug.

1990 Coil.
Pin 1 - Yellow w/ black
Pin 2 - Yellow w/ green
Pin 3 - White
Pin 4 - Black w/ white

1991+ Coil
Pin 1 - Yellow w/ black
Pin 2 - Yellow w/ green
Pin 3 - Black w/ white

part #'s
1990: MD126461
191-94:MD158956.

Yea thats what happened. Confused me because im assuming they sell individual coils for the 1991 and up models instead of the entire assembly like the 1990.

My question now is, can I just take the actual coils off the 1990 assembly and put them on my 1992 assembly?

I have been looking for you for about an hour with no luck sorry. I see some people using 91+ in a 90 but no 90 in a 91+ .I know the feeling of having to get it fixed so you can get to work it sucks...

The coils themselves are interchangeable. They might not be 100% identical in specs but you can take the actual coil out of any of the DOHC 4G63's and use it on another. I've seen it done using 90 coils, NA coils, 2G coils, etc. The various brackets are different but the raw coil seems to be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea i mean the coils themselves look identical, no differences at all. Im going to give that a shot, I dont see how it wouldnt work.

Thanks for the help yall, I really do appreciate it.

Now that you mention specs being different though, the 1990 coils for some reason wouldn't have less "spark" then the 1991 + would they?

Yea I noticed the "might". Autozone is never a first choice, just used when im in a bind.

Either way, appreciate it everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back