The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1990 tsi awd stock vs. 2004 altima 3.5 swap outcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racersedge1821

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2007
Celina, Tennessee
Well fellow tuners i took my stock tsi awd to a friends house that has been talking allot shit with his 2004 altima 3.5 swap CAI,Headers.All i have done to my tsi is the free mods so far and was running 14 psi with 93 octane.each time from a dig i tore him up but running from a roll he smashed me.(him doing 145) (me doing 120 and stopped).My question here is this a common thing?

Well fellow tuners i took my stock tsi awd to a friends house that has been talking allot shit with his 2004 altima 3.5 swap CAI,Headers.All i have done to my tsi is the free mods so far and was running 14 psi with 93 octane.each time from a dig i tore him up but running from a roll he smashed me.(him doing 145) (me doing 120 and stopped).My question here is this a common thing?

You started a thread about street racing... This wont be open very long

before people blow a gasket,we were racing on a deserted drivers testing center were even the local state trooper allow us to place our races,and i agree racing on the street is not acceptable

To your question. The engine with greater torque will have a quicker response. So yeah. Its common for a smaller displacement engine to have a lesser response than a bigger displacement engine, specially in a Turbo charged engine which compression is smaller. The combination or Turbo lag and the loss in an awd car will cause this. No matter how small the Turbo charger is or how minute the lag is. Lag is lag and it add up.

Cuervo says it the best. I've seen a 3.5L maxima take a 93 Gst from a 40 roll as well. you have to factor in weight as well. a heavier modded car will go faster in the long run against a lighter, turbocharged car

^ Because he only has free mods which means stock fuel system which means the possibility of fuel cut if he moves the boost up much. Each engine is different some will hit fuel cut before others and its best not to risk it

Also I haven't seen it mentioned, but from a dig you have the full advantage of AWD working for you, but from a roll you have AWD drivetrain loss kicking in full time. It's the same as if you take an equally modified GSX and GST and place them side by side, from a dig the gsx will rape, but from a roll due to less drivetrain loss the GST wins out.

What's the point of this thread?

You have a 21 year old stock AWD DSM, he has a 7 year old car with a fresh engine, more displacement and -as much as you won't want to admit it- more horsepower than yours.

This site has all the info to give you the knowledge to easily correct this situation into your favor. But I'll warn you, you probably aren't going to do it on the stock fuel system and stock tune.

ive seen those altimas(or maxima cant remember) go. they are damn quick out of the box. think its like 260 but im sure thats crank numbers. ya, dude you were at a huge disadvantage. go spend 500 bucks, come back and wip his ass.

NOt sure why you are calling it a 3.5 swap, Altima's came with those motors when you bought the top model. My sister-in-law had one. Very fast, nice car. If you are running a stock gst/gsx, I would avoid trying to take one on a roll, the Altima would win every time.

Altima's a definitely quick. I got the 4cyl. 2.5s for my DD and honestly is probably has just as much torque/hp as a stock dsm today. It gets and goes no problem.

The v6 model is a beast for a sedan so no shocker you lost LOL he probably would have past you pretty quick from the dig if you raced anything more than a 1/4

yeah that's how it turned out to.From a dig i got him but anything after the 1/4 he was reeling me in LOL but it was nice watching him sweat the catch up.The reason i call it a 3.5 swap was because it had a 2.5 stock meaning lighter car.But future ref erence to the fellow dsmers those cars are monsters up top

Unless he got parts real cheap, the car was no lighter and he did alot of work for nothing. There is only about 200lbs difference between the 4/6 cyl models. That can be attributed to engine and trim level differences, would hardly be noticeable.
The 3.5 is 3300 lbs, so with 260-270hp and 250ft/lb torque, the car will definitely get up and go.

Just do fuel pump, injectors, boost controller, boost gauge and run 17-18 psi and then see who wins :D

DSMs become potent when you do fuel pump, fuel injectors, tuning, evo 3 and front mount, those Altimas are fast when your car is stock, I am running 20 psi on my evo 3 and making more power than some of the camaros around here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back