The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 1990 shifter cable fix .need extra set of shifter cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, I like a lot of people here have a 1990 (odd ball) talon.
My shifter cables were giving me issues for a while until one day they finally gave up. I couldn't get the transmission into reverse, second was tricky to get but got it every once in a while. I had an extra set of cables from a parts car so I said screw it I'm gonna put those cables in. Turns out they were 91 cables.

P.S. I do not have a account on galantvr4.org forum but can someone ask fivestardsm if I may use this pic.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Top are GVR4 cables, the middle 91+ cables, another note mine had a small blue tape on them both (notice the longer plastic on the top cable of the pair), and last but not least are the 1990 cables. My 1990 cables had a small red tape on them.

The front to back shifter cable on the 91+ is 1.375 longer than the 1990 ones.

I have a 91 base but no under hood brackets.
After installing the 1991 cables (before finding out they were not going to work) I had 2nd, 4th and reverse without a issue but 1st, 3rd, and 5th would scratch as i was letting off the clutch.

If you look at the second cable on the 91+ cables its looks the same, that's because it is. What i did was cut the thick rubber sealing part (I'll get pics tomorrow if I have time) off the cable, pushed it into the one that can be removed. I broke the smaller rubber seal in this step. After everything is put together ADJUST the cables. Now you have good working 1990 DSM shifter cables.

Now go for one of those great relaxing drives. I had to after walking home two days from work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back