The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1990 laser FWD Street/Strip Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95DsManiac

Proven Member
Dec 5, 2012
Bay Point, California
Hey everyone,

MARCH 10TH, 2014

My name is Anthony B. and I have another build going on for my 95 gst drag car. I missed driving a dsm on the street as a daily so I checked the local classifieds and found a 1990 laser with 83k on it and was fairly cheap. The guy wanted 1600 but I had to drive pretty far just to look at it.

I talked to the guy over the phone and you can tell he didn't know crap about DSMs and wouldn't stop talking. I talked to his dad prior to talking to him and his dad said he just put a performance clutch from autozone in it haha. The guy said he put a oem clutch in it, I knew something was fishy, but I decided to drive out there to check it out in person.

I get there and there cleaning it out, and somehow it is still filthy as hell especially the inside. Paint was horrible, interior as well, seats don't slide right, gauge not mounted just hanging there, turbo timer not set up right, wing hanging off, AC hacked and cut different places, battery relocated to trunk just sitting there not tied down, oil cooler tucked where condenser used to be, roof liner is gone and a small grind in second when test driving. Great. It needed a cat to pass smog and had web cams and eibach ground controls in it besides that its bone stock. I offered him I think 1250 or something like that and he took it.

It came with extra parts like:

1gb eclipse conversion, aluminum spark plug cover, o2 housing, hot side, misc intercooler piping, starter, alternator, complete 6bolt head, intake manifold, throttle body, egr block off plate, one motor mount with poly insert, arp head studs in a wrapper??, and 3" apexi turbo back exhaust.

I pay the man, get my pink slip and have my wife follow me home. It drives good but is really week in upper rpm. There is also I knocking noise from the suspension area in the front drivers side. I knew it wasn't the best or near perfect car but I knew I had some work ahead of me here and there.

I will have this build up to date in the next couple days, I have come pretty far since I got it last month and will have pictures and much more in the next couple days. I hope everyone enjoys this build and don't forget to check out the other one too.

Thanks for your time and god bless,

Anthony B.

03-14-2014

DSCN1236_zpse43001c9.jpg

I decided to tackle the CAT and try to get the car smogged. I ordered one from amazon with one day shipping and my brother got me one off Craigslist from a 2g just in case. So I went with the 2g one since I had it already. I went to pick it up and on the way back I met up with a local dsm'er (one of the founders of the Dsm sites) and purchased some parts for my 1gb talon rear conversion. I got the three piece spoiler and three piece tai lights in really really good condition. We chatted for a while and I headed home.

Upon going under the car to take the downpipe and exhaust off to put he cat on I found out the dam strait pipe was welded on and there was no flanges until the muffler in the back. I was really pissed and went strait for the cut off wheel and tried to cut it off but ended up taking the entire exhaust off the car because I might have well have done that from the beginning because I had to tig weld it anyways (no mig).

Got the cat welded on and took the car to get smogged. Three shops later and still no one will do it because I guess even though the cat was for a 2g it HAD to be for a 1990 plymouth laser blah blah blah I hate start smog testing, well smog period sucks. I went to a local muffler shop and they wanted 365 for a cat and have it welded on. I talked them down to 300 no tax and a receipt. Me and my wife left to get food while they did it, got back and the dang shop was closed. They decided to keep my car and close half hour early. Waited awhile and they finally came back and I got my car. It was too late to smog it now so I just drove home. On the way we stopped at nations to eat and as I turned in the parking lot I hear a sound like a piece of metal being thrown on the ground.

I park and check the lug nuts and one is missing and there are lose. Come to find out upon closer examination the whole damn stud broke off with it. I call my brother and he meets me there, I tighten them down and I have my wife follow me in the slow lane home.

03-19-2014

Went to DMV to put the 95 gst on non op since its all drag now and then to transfer the laser into my wifes name. All went well with that and when putting the temporay papers in the glove box I found some older looking papers. Come to find out I had all the original paper work from the factory in 1990. There was the original warranty papers, manuals etc. I will be sure to get some pictures of that posted up to share with you all. I thought it was pretty damn cool to see something from that long ago.

03-20-2014

Found a nice sized exhaust leak so I went and got a gasket for it. When I arrived home I noticed there was more than one bolt missing when I started to take the manifold off. I tried my best to drill and extract the bolts but I couldn't for the life of me get either one out. There was two furthest to the left (passenger side) were broke and the furthest to the right bottom one was stripped in the head side. I noticed the manifold was ported as well. I also decided to change out the valve cover gasket so I can make sure I got the web cams like the little kid said was in there. They were indeed 546/547 cams and I knew that's why the idle was crazy and because of no way to tune them. So I tried my best to get it to idle via the BISS screw. I grounded the correct connectors and I got it to idle really well, it wouldn't even surge one bit anymore. I also decided to slap on my new MSD wires I got for the 95 gst because I never used them and now I ordered the arc-2 system for it and a cop set up.

DSCN1242_zps2fddff38.jpg

DSCN1239_zps5d6389b6.jpg

DSCN1236_zpse43001c9.jpg

03-22-2014

Took the car to get smogged. First place I went too didn't want to do right away and wanted me to leave the car so I went down the road to choice 2. I was third in line and got to know one of the workers pretty good by then LOL. They pulled my car up and the guy said it was missing LOL, no that's my cams haha, I told him its not and I will pay either way if it fails. I also noticed my manifold bolts were backed out when they popped the hood, great I thought, grabbed my tools and tightened them down real quick. I bet they were thinking I was ghetto haha. Oh well. They couldn't get it to do one of the tests right, I think the timing test/idle test. They said it was going through it to fast. My heart was beating out my chest while I sat there and watched the screen go green, then red right away. About 10 minutes later they finished and the guy mumbled, it passed, I was like what????? It passed, haha I told you it wasn't missing. I was juiced because the cams, cat, exhaust leaks, idle etc, I was afraid for it to fail.

I went strait home and ordered ecmlink v3 full from SIM and I must say they gave me a really really good deal. Way cheaper then when I purchased link for my 95.

03-30-2014

I was driving home from getting pizza and when shifting into second I hear a clank sound like under the car and all of a sudden I couldn't shift into any other gear. I could just move it everywhere like there was no gears to go into. I tried and I got it out of gear but it would only go into 3rd now, I tried to drive home and it was getting hard to stop and go from 3rd, so after much wiggling I managed to get it into 1st and got my self home. I didn't even bother to check because I was pissed. I instead went upstairs and just ordered a symborski shift kit and a cable bushing kit.

03-31-2014

Link arrived, yaaaaaaaaaaaaay. I grabbed the 90 eprom ecu that came with the car and I popped the old ship out and slapped the new one in. Fit perfect. I went downstairs and went to work on getting it installed and uploaded. I plugged it in and put the cable in the correct plug. I couldn't connect to the darn car for some reason. I put the old one back in (ecu) and I couldn't even start the car now for some odd reason. I didn't do anything different so I don't know why this is happening. After much frustration I called it a night before I broke something.
DSCN1231_zps81860991.jpg

DSCN1233_zps7be9365f.jpg

DSCN1234_zps45ec5cd0.jpg

04-03-2014

Got my shifter bushings and went down to install them. I did the shifter base bushings first and it was a little more difficult than the 95 but I got it done. Now for the cable bushings under the hood were more difficult then that. I also noticed the little clip that holds the cable to the trans brackets was gone on one of the cables. Thus the reason I couldn't shift into any other gears. I made a little bandage until I can get another one from somewhere. I also got the darn bushings is, and now the car shifts into all gears and is very solid now.
I then tried to get the car started again. I plugged it back in, and downloaded the software all over again. I then checked the fuses under the hood, and lo and behold, the MFI realy fuse was blown. I replaced that and I got the laptop to connect to the ecu. I also heard a electrical noise coming form the ecu area. I looked and the dam mfi relay cover was gone, it was fully exposed. I tucked it away so it would touch the frame and short out again. I then got the car to start. Made a couple logs and tweaked a few things then called it a night.
DSCN1232_zpsa1e145eb.jpg

DSCN1230_zpsefd38e1f.jpg

04-05-2014

I decided to put in my AEM wideband kit from my 95 into the laser since I ordered a mtx-l for the gst anyways. Install went good and the car came with a spare center dash thingy and carbon fiber three gauge bezel for where the vents used to be. It also came with some gauges and sensors, prosport boost gauge, prosport water temp, prosport oil pressure etc. Only the water temp gauge came with the sender so I put that and the wideband in the carbon pods. I redid the wiring for the gauges and ran it really nicely through the dash with extra wires for power and ground for future gauges and electronics. It all turned out really nicely and I started the car up to get the gauges logging. Somehow I could not get the aem to log via link. It was really easy to do on the gst and honestly is my favorite wideband for link and is really good IMHO. The water temp gauge was tweaking out too so I just called it quits and went upstairs for the night.
DSCN1244_zps741a391f.jpg

DSCN1243_zps96aca056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
April 9TH 2014

Put a order in at extremepsi order of SS full clutch line, SS oil feed for GT42, Fiav block off, OEM Tob, and @ OEM TB bolts.

April 10TH 2014
DSCN1257_zps155e020d.jpg

DSCN1258_zps0cdd1bac.jpg

DSCN1260_zpse5a1a184.jpg

DSCN1266_zps8286ac20.jpg

DSCN1269_zps18963c8d.jpg

Installed wally 450, 6AN Feed, AFPR, and Fuel Lab Fuel Filter 6AN 40 micron ss filter for E85. The pump went alright in the beginning. It come out pretty easily, but when I went to install the pump back in the tank I forgot to put on the little thing that goes on the bottom that connects to the bolt on the bottom of the tank. I had to fab it up quite a bit to get it to fit, but it went good and it doesn't leak, does its job. 6AN feed was pretty strait forward as well as the fuel filter. The afpr was ok but I couldn't get it to stop leaking. I ended up calling it a night after it just kept leaking. I also put on my 2G fuel rail with STM 6AN fittings.

April 11th 2014

Got my cushion clamps for 6an feed line to correctly mount it under the car. I also finally fixed my driver's side head light. I ordered it a few weeks ago from miller and got the wrong one, too bad I broke it when trying to install it so I couldn't return it so I ordered another one from ebay. Finally got it and put it on. All is good now.

April 12Th 2014

I went and picked up my ecmlink package from the post office. It was my rebuilt 2g ecu for the 95 and a SD bundle for the laser. When I got back from the post office I had my 6 puk rigid clutch kit waiting for me.
DSCN1272_zpsee821a99.jpg

I also decided to try and install my PR 2G kit on the laser since im not using it on the 95 and I can't get anyone to buy it without trying to low ball me. The IC itself is new, piping used. I didn't have to do too much to get it to fit. I had to cut a piece of the front frame on both sides just a little bit. I also had to extend the lower pipe on the passenger side to connect the upper pipe to the IC. The hot side was pretty strait forward, just had to fab up my own j pipe since I still had the 14B on the car for now. Overall it came it pretty damn good and you couldn't tell it wasn't for the car that was for sure.
DSCN1322_zps188a1c38.jpg

DSCN1314_zps2218191d.jpg

Spare piping just in case
DSCN1270_zpsb72e5f0b.jpg

DSCN1278_zps899b5553.jpg

DSCN1279_zpse55b27a2.jpg

DSCN1280_zps628d18b0.jpg

DSCN1281_zpscb894f61.jpg

DSCN1282_zps25386453.jpg

DSCN1283_zps36eccc40.jpg

DSCN1284_zpsa8fdb390.jpg

DSCN1290_zps0ef73d45.jpg

DSCN1292_zps4c56b59a.jpg

DSCN1298_zpsbb0ea2b4.jpg

DSCN1296_zps0b398641.jpg

DSCN1300_zps5a51663f.jpg

DSCN1299_zpsdc8e155a.jpg

After calling it quits with the fmic I went to a local auto store and got an earls fitting for the fpr return fitting to see if I can get it to stop leaking. That worked but it was not leaking from the fuel rail.

April 13Th 2014

Wired in the SD kit and installed the sensors. Went good, followed the links on here for wiring. I wired both sensors into the stock maf connector.
DSCN1303_zps6fc25261.jpg

DSCN1301_zps1b595790.jpg

DSCN1325_zps2670efcf.jpg

DSCN1326_zps1b0ebc31.jpg

DSCN1302_zps3694ec30.jpg

DSCN1304_zpsedd711df.jpg

April 14Th 2014

Figured out the leak. It was on the return side of the fuel rail. The 6an fitting was cut so it wasn't sealing. Good thing I had an extra one and it got rid of the leak. Thank goodness, I was getting tired of trying to start the car and gas going everywhere.
April 15Th 2014

Received my non cruise cable

April 16Th 2014

Rebuilt my H1E because it is going on the laser along with the hafe manifold, and tial wastegate. I got a oil feed set up from the oil filter housing for the laser and am using the oil return I already had from the 95. The rebuild took way longer than I thought it was going to even though I followed a rebuild link that I found. I should've took more pictures before taking it apart, but I got it together and upgraded the thrust collar while I was at it.

DSCN1320_zps56129915.jpg

DSCN1328_zps92f1cdee.jpg

DSCN1335_zpsf80d39f3.jpg

DSCN1338_zpsf6110dfe.jpg

DSCN1339_zps6b14c437.jpg

DSCN1341_zps36e3fc1e.jpg

DSCN1342_zpsf8ce10b2.jpg

DSCN1343_zps845960b6.jpg

I also received my extreme psi order today and installed my non cruise cable.
DSCN1313_zps761dbabe.jpg

DSCN1305_zps637eeec8.jpg

April 18th, 2014

. Modified oil drain for the holset and got it just right. Also had to modify the oil feed restrictor I had on the turbo when it was supposed to be on the 95 because I didn't have balance shafts on the 95, and I do on the laser so I had to bore it out.

DSCN1380_zps0d242446.jpg

DSCN1388_zps56318842.jpg

DSCN1391_zps7d7801ba.jpg

DSCN1390_zpsd05a4ab0.jpg

. I had to grind the power steering bracket for the Hafe manifold to fit. It also cleaned up the bay in that area a lot in my opinion. Those little burs I purchased along with the Makita die grinder for when I ported and polished my heads have come in handy for little things like this.

DSCN1382_zps00a3afc0.jpg

April 19th, 2014

. Holset is in its new home. I must say it looks mighty good in its new home and can't wait to see what I can achieve with this turbo. Overall with all the extra work I had to do to get this turbo in was very well worth it. I used the large bolt I removed from the OFH when I installed the oil feed, used it to block off the water fitting on the water pipe. Make sure to put some thread sealant on there if you do it this way, it does keep the coolant in.

DSCN1387_zpsd88353d2.jpg

DSCN1384_zps7ffc971b.jpg

DSCN1426_zps953594d3.jpg

DSCN1385_zps28713236.jpg

. SS clutch line installed as well. Pretty strait forward, just take the old one out. I ended up cutting it in a few different places because I couldn't pull it out in one piece, I wasn't re using any of it so you can cut it up as you wish to make removal a piece of cake. Make sure to drain the clutch fluid from the slave before doing this or you will make a mess. Install of the ss line is really easy, one fitting goes in the master and the other in the slave cylinder. Mine was flared so I didn't put any sealant on there and is just fine that way, or it is for me. Doesn't leak. Anyhow, when putting the new fluid in the master reservoir you must bleed it to get all the air out. Im sure you all know this, but I have come to find out reminders are nice. Overall I like it and it cleans up the bay and does a great job.

DSCN1392_zps4ed4ba72.jpg

DSCN1394_zpsa11eb46f.jpg

DSCN1429_zps99f66bb7.jpg

DSCN1396_zpsaa4097a8.jpg

DSCN1430_zpsb96ef97c.jpg

. I then modified/cut my driver's side motor mount and installed a polyurethane mount. Pretty strait forward, take out the old one, cut the long piece that bolts to the power steering bracket and re install it with the polyurethane insert.

DSCN1399_zpsf1637a38.jpg

DSCN1434_zps53f93912.jpg

. After that I took a step back and looked the bay over. I still haven't found my fuel lab fuel filter mount and the filter was just lying there, and no I wasn't going to leave it that way I was definitely going to mount it before driving. I removed the old fuel filter finally and noticed the fuel lab filter will fit perfectly fine in its place. It makes for a quick and easy install and retains OEM placement and brackets.

DSCN1428_zps374198f5.jpg

April 22nd, 2014

. Finally finished the turbo intercooler piping for the hotside. I was having trouble getting the turbo to even come close enough to the piping to properly fit a coupler. I ended up cutting it shorter from N to S and making it a little longer from E to W. I also had to weld on a bung for a fitting for the MBC. Overall it looks really nice and is going to look even better after paint.

DSCN1435_zpsb10fc614.jpg

DSCN1431_zps341ed964.jpg

. FIAV block off finally installed and is really strait forward. Be careful with the screws to not strip them because that will make it harder to get them off if you don't have an impact driver. I would like to note I didn't notice any different idle characteristics and think it is a very nice modification to clean things up and get rid of some coolant lines.

DSCN1438_zps774859eb.jpg

DSCN1437_zps7ed09e3d.jpg

DSCN1436_zpsed73c310.jpg

April 23rd, 2014

. 1GB Talon rear end conversion done. There is a couple write ups on it and is really easy to do. Removal of the stock tails and bumper is pretty strait forward. Just remove the rear panels and remove all the 10mm nuts to remove the tail lights. Same with the bumper, remove all the 10mm studs and bolts to remove it. Also don't forget the bumper support too, which are 14mm and there is 2 on each side. Also don't forget the two 10mm bolts hidden that would need to be removed from under the car behind the bumper near rear of tire. After that it should all be off now.
The tail lights will bolt right up mechanically, but would need to do some wiring to get the lights to work. Someone hacked my lights prior to my ownership so I had no pigtails or connectors, so I had to wire it straight to the tail lights. For the bumper all you really need to do to get it to fit properly is cut the center section of the old bumper mounting plate and drill and tap new holes for additional support because if you don't you'll only have about 1-2 on each side of the remaining piece of the mounting plate. Overall was really easy and I love the new look, now I need to prep the car for paint....

DSCN1449_zps58eac28e.jpg

DSCN1448_zpsff85485d.jpg

DSCN1446_zps83d60036.jpg

DSCN1444_zps0db1863a.jpg

April 26th, 2014

. Finally finished the little odds and ends to fill it up with oil, oil additive, ring sealer and coolant. After making sure everything was properly filled and I didn't have leaks I went to start her up. I got it to start, but it was freaky loud with no downpipe. I just made sure it started and I turned it off, well it died LOL. I called it a night because I didn't have a downpipe and I didn't want to damage anything. Well the real reason was my wife said it was waaaay to loud LOL. Don't want H.O.A having meetings about my car.

April 27th, 2014

. Finally got around to making a downpipe for fitment with the JMFab o2hosuing. I used my old 2G downpipe and some 3" ss piping to get it perfect. I cut off the original mounting brackets from the stock downpipe and welded them on the new one. Fit like a glove. I didn't make the rest of the exhaust set up just yet because im thinking about doing Vband 3" Aluminum from the downpipe back. . . .

. I also installed my Bosch 1600cc injectors. I reused the seals from the blue tops. I ended cracking all of them when pushing them onto the Bosch injectors. One of the strait up broke and I used a grommet in its place. Everything looked good and I checked everything over and got ready to start it up again.
I used the settings provided on ecmlink for the injectors -72 and 450. Saved the settings, and she started right up. Even idled by itself. I noticed right away I had a boost leak somewhere because you could hear it over the whine of the turbo and the roar of the exhaust, or downpipe LOL. I couldn't seem to find it with the car on so I turned it off and did a BLT. It still was hard to find it because of how loud it was. Upon further inspection I found the injector seal, the one I broke and put a grommet in its place, was leaking like crazy. Im surprised the car was even idling and running right. I tried a different grommet and took the car about 20ft to make sure the clutch was bled right and man this car is crazy. I didn't even touch the pedal an inch and I somehow blew a coolant line. After that I wrapped it up and made a list of things to order. I ordered some OEM injectors seals and injector filters, and Bosch injector seal kits too.

April 28th, 2014

. Fixed the coolant lines that popped off and reassured it wouldn't happen again with some clamps. I also noticed my throttle cable was half off so I fixed it. I went to the auto parts store Monument Auto for coolant and gasket sealer. I asked if they had DSM injector's seals and they sure did so I got 4.

Went home and pulled the injectors to install the new seals, made sure I lubed them to maintain longevity and stop cracking. I filled it up with coolant and checked everything. Started her up and bam, no more leak, or no leak that I could hear should I say. Something was wrong though because it would start but not stay on. So I did another BLT and found my Greddy RS BOV gasket was leaking in the front and back. Darn, if its not one thing it's the other. I found some cork gasket paper and made my own, and put some sealant to reassure its seal. I somehow stripped the bolt when re installing the BOV so I had to go and get one. . . .

. Car ran great now and I started to tune the idle. I noticed my AEM WB was not logging on Link. I re wired it along with the prosport boost gauge, and greddy turbo timer wiring while I was at it. I did get it to log, but it was not the same as the gauge. I can't seem to figure this out. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get it to read like the gauge? When I had it in my 2G it was near perfect. The only difference from the 2G and 1G is the way I wired it. On my 2G I wired all the wires, power, ground, aux, to the ECU power, Sensor ground. On the 1G I wired the grounds and aux to the sensor ground just like the 2g, but the power I have ran to the fuse box? Is this why? Do I need to wire the power wires to the Ecu too??

Anyway after doing a few logs and trying to tune the car, and one cruise/ pull that resulted in the Intercooler piping to blow off the turbo, I called it a night.

April 29th, 2014

Hey everyone,

I am basically caught up to present day. I must say I have come really far since the day I got the car. I Got it less than two months ago and this is what it had on it:

. Eibach ground controls in front only, stock shocks all the way around

. Greddy Turbo Timer plug and play harness

. Web 546/547 Cams

. Prosport Boost Gague

. Ported 2G exhaust manifold

. stock replacement autozone clutch.

And it came with the following that was not installed on the car: Prothane drivers side mount, prosport oil pressure and water temp, used arp head studs, 1gb side skirt plastics, extra head with manifold and throttle body, center radio moldings with 3 gauge CF vent bezel, Misc 3" downpipe and exhaust piping, and misch IC piping.

Since the day I got it I have put the following on it:

. MSD spark plug wires
. NGK BR6ES
. New Valve Cover gasket kit
. 1GB Throttle body
. JMFab FIAV block off
. Ecmlink V3 Full
. Omni power 4 Bar MAP
. GM IAT Sensor
. AEM Analog UEGO Wideband kit
. Halman Pro MBC
. FP 4" Recirculated Intake pipe W/ K&N 9" Filter
. 2G Punishment Racing FMIC Kit Custom Fabricated and welded to fit on my 1GA
. Greddy RS BOV
. Hafe Exhaust manifold 38mm Flanged
. Holset H1E Rebuilt Upgraded thrust collar
. BEP .55AR DSM Housing
. Custom SS 10AN Oil Drain
. 4AN SS oil feed from OFM W/ Custom Inline Restrictor
. Prosport Water Temperature Gauge
. CF Center Vent gauge bezel
. 6AN AFPR
. Walbro 450LPH E85 Fuel Pump
. 6AN SS Fuel Feed from tank to rail
. Red Fuel Lab fuel filter 6AN W/ 40 micron SS element E85
. Bosch 1600cc Injectors White Tops
. 2G Fuel Rail W/ STM 6AN Fittings
. Tial 38MM two bolt wastegate
. JMFab o2 housing, 44mm vband cut off and welded shut to run Wastegate off manifold
. My Own Custom made 3" Downpipe
. Polyurethane Drivers side motor mount and modified/cut off arm
. SS Master to Slave Clutch line
. Cruise delete
. Non Cruise Throttle cable
. AC Delete
. Emissions delete
. Fluidyne Race Radiator
. SPAL Slim Fan
. 1GB Taln rear conversion
. ETC

I also have a few parts still not installed. I have Bosch injector rebuild kits, OEM TOB, 6 puk Rigid 2300lb Pressure plate, Act Streetlite flywheel, manley racing springs, grounding kit, and I just put the order in for a FRH intake manifold.

I have lots more to say and questions I need to ask for advice on the car, but my 4 month old son just woke up and I need to get him back to sleep, and I need to go to sleep as well.

hope you enjoy, god bless

Anthony B.

Nice going bro!! Just FYI those 2 rubber vacuum caps you put over the old coolant passages for the fiav need to be done better bro. Those will never stay on or hold the coolant back once pressure is built and your at operating temp. Just hate to see you loose all the coolant and something bad happen bro! It would be better to run a hose from one to the other and clamps on both ends, that's how all mine are. No leaks and no chance for blowing off. Can't wait to see a 3rd gear pull on vid and log!! :)

What's up long time no see LOL,

As for the caps, they are specifically made for coolant bypassing/blocking. They actually did really well holding pressure and only one popped off and lost only half my coolant LOL. I do now have twist clamps on them and they haven't blew off . . . . Yet LOL.

I started tuning and every time I get in boost I blow a coupler, only happened twice but I stopped trying, I'm ordereding better t bolt clamps. And a 30 degree coupler for the turbo to hot side piping. I am instead working on my idle tune. The thing sounds like a crazy crammed car LOL. It won't let me upload a video, so I'm going to upload it to youtube and post back in a sec.

Anthony B.

Here you go
[ame]http://youtu.be/xhkogkKHrYI[/ame]

Last edited:
^^ hmm he already had one blow off, so I vote no way they suck!! Lol I wouldn't trust those caps on my turbo car bro! They maybe made for coolant but probably not intended on a boosted car, more heat more stress. Plus you already had it pop off, and there's your sign!! I just see a blown headgasket possibly happening when one pops off while your 6-7k on a 3rd gear pull! Just loop one of the old hoses and clamp it and be done bro, trust me! Start welding all your ic pipes and try to minimize using couplers. Like only have one on each end then you only need a few tbolt clamps! Less chance of boost leaks and blowing couplers off!

To be honest I did the exact same thing no problems so far in regards of caps for your coolant lines. Keep up the good work bro .

Yea, I don't see them being a problem either. Especially with all the clamps I put on them, I'm sure they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks for your support it is highly appreciated. How come no reply about my video LOL??

^^ hmm he already had one blow off, so I vote no way they suck!! Lol I wouldn't trust those caps on my turbo car bro! They maybe made for coolant but probably not intended on a boosted car, more heat more stress. Plus you already had it pop off, and there's your sign!! I just see a blown headgasket possibly happening when one pops off while your 6-7k on a 3rd gear pull! Just loop one of the old hoses and clamp it and be done bro, trust me! Start welding all your ic pipes and try to minimize using couplers. Like only have one on each end then you only need a few tbolt clamps! Less chance of boost leaks and blowing couplers off!

Ok ok, I will clamp them even tighter tomorrow LOL. Seriously though, I do have them all clamped down now and really am confident that that are not going anywhere. If I start to see any leak or start to doubt them I will just weld them or braze them for reassurance. You think my car idles like that because something is wrong or just the cams now pushing through the bigger turbo?? I kinda like it but it is way way to loud for a daily. I'm thinking of using my 3" aluminum piping and getting some vband parts and making from the downpipe back all aluminum. What are your thoughts on that?

God bless,

Anthony B.

I'm sorry just my opinion about the coolant plugs. For me I don't leave anything to chance if I have power over it of course. It's just like deleting all the emissions stuff. You take it out so there is less chance of boost leaks or other problems. So in my eyes if those things could possibly cause a problem, they gots to go bro!! Lol You need to work on the tune for sure. It sounds pretty good for where your at bro! Sounded like you still have a boost leak somewhere maybe by the fmic drivers side ic piping. Do you have adjustable cam gears? You may want to get some to help further dial in the cams. Are you runing speed density? Think you said you are. Ya I would make a nice exhaust maybe ad a cutout so when your at the track you can run open downpipe or make it so you can easily take off the back half and run open down! Boy get a air filter on that turbo!! LOL get me a Idle and cruise log and I can help you dial it in, no prob bro!! ;)

Yea, I don't see them being a problem either. Especially with all the clamps I put on them, I'm sure they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks for your support it is highly appreciated. How come no reply about my video LOL??

Ok ok, I will clamp them even tighter tomorrow LOL. Seriously though, I do have them all clamped down now and really am confident that that are not going anywhere. If I start to see any leak or start to doubt them I will just weld them or braze them for reassurance. You think my car idles like that because something is wrong or just the cams now pushing through the bigger turbo?? I kinda like it but it is way way to loud for a daily. I'm thinking of using my 3" aluminum piping and getting some vband parts and making from the downpipe back all aluminum. What are your thoughts on that?

God bless,

Anthony B.

Well I have been driving my car for about 2 years with this setup now without any issues with these in my coolant lines since I don't need them anymore. I have them secure with heavy duty zip ties. Yes bro I have seen the video I love to see hard work dedication when it comes to these car. I use to run open down pipe for awhile but now I purchased a 3inch cutout in one of the best decision that I have ever made for a daily.

Interesting that the LASER had EAGLE front and rear end elements attached to it. Lotsa power for a FWD vehicle ... have to control it good to minimize wheel hop..

Good lucki - DSM

Well I have been driving my car for about 2 years with this setup now without any issues with these in my coolant lines since I don't need them anymore. I have them secure with heavy duty zip ties. Yes bro I have seen the video I love to see hard work dedication when it comes to these car. I use to run open down pipe for awhile but now I purchased a 3inch cutout in one of the best decision that I have ever made for a daily.

Yea I think I'll be ok with the plugs. The clamps should be more than enough. And thanks for watching it and for e nice words. I have been busting my ass to get this car from stock to this in about a month. And working on my 95 gst drag car as well, it is the love and appreciation I have for these cars that drives me to get up every single day sun or rain and wrench on both of the cars. I will never give up on them with the laser I plan to have fun with the car and push it to the point where I still consider it a daily. I think the hx40 will be its heart for a while though. That's why I have the gsT for strictly drag racing. Being FWD doesn't scare me and to be honest it doesn't even cause me to worry one bit, I know how to drive and I know what to do to make it hook you know what I mean. Anyways, thanks again and keep checking back, I'm far from done. Body and paint next.

I have been thinking about a cutout so I'm still considering it. I did make an additional piece of exhaust out off 3"ss that goes from the downpipe strait back and curves to the passenger side and I just have it coming right in front of the rear pass. Tire. I'm debating on finishing it to the back because I don't like how I'm going to have to make it curve up and over the cross member. I thought of going under it, but I have to do more measuring before I even cut a piece of pipe for that.

Interesting that the LASER had EAGLE front and rear end elements attached to it. Lotsa power for a FWD vehicle ... have to control it good to minimize wheel hop..

Good lucki - DSM

Ohhhh, you see that don't you LOL. Well the car came with the front like that and I know it's not an eagle bumper just the center section. It has eclipse side plastics I have to put on and I put the 1gb eagle rear. I do have a couple tricks up my sleeve, I am going to take off the eagle emblems, and put diamond star in its place. And in the rear bumper I am going to fill the talon and eagle moldings and put a nice Laser RST on it. Trust me I appreciate the laser and will be sure to make sure people recognize the car. I see you have one too, I really like the car, I kinda feel like its savior LOL. It only has 83k on it but it wasn't well well taken care of. I'm going to do the body work next and take it in for paint.

It also came with everything from the factory back in 90. The delivery papers and forms because it was delivered from out of state. It has the factory warranty papers and service manuals. It has more things too and I will be sure to post pictures of it all. Any and all advice and "constructive" criticism is much welcome. So I all ears to what you all think.

On a side note don't post if your trying to a smart ass. This isn't for anyone who already is on the thread just a note to people if they see something they want to smash on.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate it that your commenting, god bless you all,

Anthony B.

Looking good..any updates on the drag car? We need to go racing

Hey pip,

I have many many updates for the drag car, but I only have time to update the street car. I work on the street car outside so I use all day in the sun to do it and I work on the drag car when the sun goes down until around 10:30-11ish and call it a night. I recently got sponsored by Kiggly Racing and that is one of the big updates. I already got all the parts the other day and I am just waiting on my kelford 280s and ferrea 1mm valves to get here to put the engine back together and get it running for the dyno. I also DePowered the rack and removed a lot of stuff. I am keeping track of everything in a binder so I can update everything I do to the car. Same with this build.

But I think I will be hitting the track next week or so with this car since I'm still waiting on parts for the gsT. Even when I get it running and ready to go there is still so many things to do you know what I mean.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply, can't wait to go racing with you and see the faces on those corvettes and mustangs drivers face when I blow by them LOL.

God bless,

Anthony B.

April 30th, 2014

Started on my exhaust for my laser. First I laid the old piece down and made my measurements to try and replicate it. I made all my cuts and welded up a couple pieces and I didnt finish it because of the weird bend at the end near the subframe. I just ended it right before the rear tire. It quieted it a lot, but i am going to finish it one day.
DSCN1469_zps24003975.jpg
DSCN1470_zps9bd1eec0.jpg
DSCN1472_zps3db7bd9e.jpg
DSCN1473_zpse956b4f1.jpg

May 2nd, 2014

I got my ANFITTINGSDIRECT order that I've been waiting on.

DSCN1480_zps1294b988.jpg
DSCN1481_zpsc793ef80.jpg
DSCN1482_zps757ec4c7.jpg
DSCN1484_zps36c82d71.jpg

Some exhaust wrap for my hot parts, vaccum lines, TBolt clamps, few AN fittings, 2.5" bend for turbo to intercooler pipe coupler, and a ouple other things.

I also received my electronic boost controller.

DSCN1504_zpsbb761d43.jpg
DSCN1503_zps4ae53f36.jpg
DSCN1502_zps677bbc49.jpg
DSCN1501_zpse08bb24b.jpg
DSCN1500_zps12910905.jpg

I think it is a really nice unit and will work very well with my car being FWD. It has many boost settings and other settings and can control boost up to 50psi and it learns my driving habits, or so it says on the article about it. It is kind of like my Gizzmo MS-IBC I have for the GST. Well see how good it is, I will definitely be posting back how it performs.

May 3rd, 2014

convinced my wife for a paint job on the laser so I went to Harbor Freight and got some things to get to work for prep. Ended up with a air DA Sander, 60-80-120-320 grit discs, 120-320-400-600-800 sanding blocks and a bunch of other little things that is needed. Also grabbed some bondo for some dents I cant get out. I went home and got to work. I didn't want to spend 3-5k on a paint job so I decided to do all the prep work and body work myself and take it to Macco. I know everyone thinks its a crappy place, but I honesty aint expecting to have a show quality paint job and that's why im doing the prep work so I do get a little better then if they would do it there selves. I don't know what colors yet, but I do know top is going black.

DSCN1485_zpsd5152cb3.jpg
DSCN1486_zpsebb1d9b5.jpg
DSCN1487_zpsa17feb02.jpg
DSCN1488_zps3dfe20a4.jpg
DSCN1489_zps48783399.jpg
DSCN1490_zps45865940.jpg
DSCN1491_zpsa6b73408.jpg
DSCN1492_zps2e5bc865.jpg
DSCN1494_zpsddf59d9a.jpg
DSCN1495_zps4f3b1957.jpg
DSCN1496_zpsb9035d80.jpg
DSCN1497_zps2a1d7764.jpg
DSCN1498_zpsfe88727f.jpg

And on May 5th, 2014 I finished the prep work and took it in for paint. I was taking forever to chose a color. I knew I wanted a red, but the one I wanted was a tri stage candy and I couldn't get that. So I went to the car and see what my wife thought. She pointed at a color and I just went with it. I did pick the top color though. It came out to $953, and that was a super discount because he only charged me 50 for the roof, and gave me the 899 package for 799. I already did all the prep work and took off the spoiler and side skirts to try and get it done faster. They said Thursday......

May 12th, 2014

I have been waiting very pateiently o get my car back from macco. I was told it would be done Thursday and they said Friday. I call Friday and now its Saturday. I call Saturday and now its Monday. I was really frustrated and pissed because I told them I needed it for the weekend for an event I was suppose to attend. I missed the event and its not that big of a deal, but I didn't appreciate that they took on a job that they obviously couldn't finish on time when I specifically said my intentions the day I brought it in. I mean the didn't even have to prep or anything. whatever, anyhow, I call today and they said come at 6pm.

I get there at 6PM and they tell me I should wait until tomorrow because they still haven't washed it and it still has tape all over it. I asked them why they would have me drive all the way over there to tell me this, and I told them to just give me my car, I can care less if they dint wash it, or spray it off with water. I think it came out fairly well, but a few parts I didn't like at all. Like the spots that were bondo'd, you could see it, I maybe prepped it wrong but I showed it to them when I took it in and said if it needs touch ups to be smoother to do it. And the day I took it in the guy told me bout a10% off coupon and to print it and bring it when I picked it up, I brought it and he said I cant use it because it says I have to have it at time of quote. I like the car, but I wold never take it Antioch Macco ever again. I think the paint job is good quality for the price and I got a 4YR warranty. I am still trying to et used to the color, but I like it, just wish it was a brighter, shiny red. Oh well I cant be mad, it looks way better than it did. Let me know what you think, I still have to put the spoiler and side skirts on.

DSCN1606_zps3dd27c83.jpg
DSCN1607_zpse1b35e30.jpg
DSCN1609_zpsa21129cc.jpg
DSCN1610_zps8b1366c4.jpg
DSCN1612_zpscd4b9269.jpg
DSCN1613_zps2cfc981d.jpg
DSCN1615_zps05b33fc2.jpg
DSCN1618_zpscc701d27.jpg
DSCN1619_zpsb80d0a1d.jpg

Melbourne Pearl Red && Midnight Pearl Black

Thanks for looking, God Bless

Anthony B.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back