The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1990 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD (Cranks over but won't start)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90&95Tsi

Probationary Member
Dec 1, 2002
Wheeling_West_Virginia
I just bought this 1990 Talon Tsi AWD and when I was driving it home I noticed that the bottom of the radiator was rotted so I tried to get it off the road. I kept watching the temp gauge and I didn't let it get too hot, but as I was getting off the exit ramp the car shut off and when I tried starting it back up it wouldn't start it would just crank over. I pulled it to a hill and popped the clutch in 2nd gear and the car fired right up no problem but it still wouldn't start sitting still.

I have worked on Talons for about 5 years now and still can't seem to figure this out. Maybe ASD Relay?
Mike

i don't think that a rotted radiator would keep the car from starting... but i had similar problems recently. my car drove absolutely perfectly to a store, i left the store and it would turn over, but not start. completely suddenly... turns out my ECU died on me.

1)check the caps on your ECU. they are prone to leak on the ECU board and eat a hole through it eventually, obviously this would cause problems. that's what happened to me.
2)check the MPI fuse in the engine, it is by the battery. it controls the injectors...
3)is the fuel pump kicking?
4)change fuel filter? sometimes they will get clogged and cause bad problems... easy fix :)
5)are you getting spark? if you haven't already, new plugs/wires are alwyas a good idea.

it's a start anyways

An ASD Relay is for the fuel injectors(Auto Shut Down). . . Thanks for the info I will check those things and get back to you guys.

Any idea where the ASD is located? and if all Talons have them?

I figured out that the car is getting p[lenty of spark and way too much gas, and air isn't a problem either. Need to getthis car on the road winter is here
Mike

well it could either be you're ecu or a timing issue im having the same problem right now i think the timing jumped a tooth on mine u might want to check you're timing, did it just die all of a sudden or some jerking and then boom it died? let me know because i might need to replace my ecu if you're problem is the same heh.:dsm:

I started thinking about the fuel dumping in and one of the injectors turned out to be be stuck open so it would flood all the cylinders

Mike

Oh I used a two pronged light bulb from a taillight to check the purging of the injectors, and then I pulled the fuel rail and had my buddy turn the key and one of the injectors was just shooting gas not purge spraying.
Mike

Here is the deal
I checked and replaced the spark plugs
Plug Wires
ECU
Fuel Rail
Fuel Pressure Regulator
All Four Injectors
All that is left is the coil pack and the ignition power
transistor

If anyone has any clue about this 1G PLEASE help me cause I really can't figure this one out

Mike

have you checked the crank and cam sensor. if the sensor are bad it will crank but not start. If the sensor are not sending any singals or sending incorrect singal to the ecu it will not start and stay on....

My car is a 90 N/T, and after I toyed around with it long enough, I only get it to spark (pull plug out and ground it, have friend turn key) only when the ignition is first turned or when it is released. He can crank it for 20s and it won't spart until he lets go of the key. He can click it every second, and it sparks fine. I don't understand what the problem is. I really like the looks of my car, but I don't like how it looks in the garage all the time :(

Ok guys here is the finally to this problem are you ready for this take a guess. . . . HEAD GASKET!!!!
It wouldn't start because the antifreeze was blowing the spark out.

####ing Talons.
My Diamond star loves jackstands does yours

Mike

ok well good for u man at least thats all it is i found out on mine that it's alot more serious my #3 cylinder spark plug was like dented in and looked kinda melted on the threads. everyone has told me its a ####ing valve bent and a either a new head or refurbished head so that's just great eheh, merry x-mas me. GO GO DSM RELIABILITY!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back