The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1990 / 1992 Talon Engine Wiring Harness question engine swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sduncan9

Probationary Member
Oct 4, 2017
Maple Ridge, BC_Canada
Hello! I am helping a friend who had wrecked his 1992 Talon and purchased a 1990 to replace it. The cars both had 2.0 l 6 bolt turbo engines. The new car had significant issues but he felt it was worth working on as he had the 92 for many years. He swapped the transmission and immediately had clutch issues which is when it was dropped off here. I found many issues to address which included the engine having a worn out thrust bearing .070"+ of endplay. He decided to replace the engine with the good running one from his '92 and supplied me with the engine, ECM and engine wiring harness as the '90 was in fairly bad condition having been hacked up in places. I have installed the engine and started on the wiring harness when I found and changed one plug by the heater (two unused pins in '92 harness plug) and now I have discovered that connector C67 (I believe) under dash near ECM has a different style connector and extra wires on the '92 harness (7 vs 10) and different color coded wires. Is anyone familiar with this type of swap and have any information to share? I have tried a number of searches here but did not find anything referencing this difference.

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Cheers!

This will answer alot of your questions from the dsmtalk forum:
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-240881.html

I have a 90 and a 92 and service manuals for both but no ecu pinouts. You will just need to swap pins 6 and 14 on the harness but the tach in the 90 is finicky. Hope this helps a bit.

Good afternoon and thank you for your quick response!

Yes, I believe you have pointed me in the right direction, looks like lots of relevant information. I am printing some out to go through. Looks like I can overcome the C67 plug difference and the re-wire directions are in the threads. If I am using the 92 ECU and engine harness do I still need to reverse pins 6 and 14? And then there are mentions of the tach problem but again solutions seem presented.

Again, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers!

If you are using the 92 Ecu AND Harness then all plugs should match up including the motor connections and no pin switching is needed. 90 TB and TPS, ISC, PTU and Coil need to be from the 92.
The transmission will not shift right unless you use the shifter and cables meant for that transmission since we are playing with a 90 body now, just fyi. If you use the 92 trans then use the 92 cables and shifter. It will all mount up.
I think using the 92 coil and ptu and throttle body to match the harness is the easiest way. :)
The 92 dash cluster MAY swap in and the tach work right 1st try. They are easy to swap in and out. I know. :thumb: I am trying to tell you how I would swap mine. :talon:

Last edited:
Good evening and thanks again!

Unless I change the inside wiring harness as well, I would have to re-pin connector C67 , also I believe the threads are saying to change ECU wires 6 and 14.

I will check on whether he changed the shifter and cables before he dropped the car off. Is there any difference between the clutch and slave cylinders in the 90 to 92 cars? He managed to drive it but just had clutch problems - loose and missing bolts, crankshaft endplay.

I will carry on tomorrow with the engine compartment wiring and completing bolting the driveline and exhaust together.

Again, thank you!

Yes swap pins 6 and 14 inside. I am sorry, I misunderstood when you said you had the whole harness from the 92. So 90 inside makes it a little trickier but yes the pins need switched inside. It isn't hard to pull the connector apart and pull the ECU pins out and put them in a different spot, see this.....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 90 transmission, shifter and cables all have to be used with the 90 trans and the same with the 92 stuff.
92 trans, shifter AND cables for it to work correctly.
The 90 tach will be an issue but not one that can't be overcome.

No difference in the Clutch master/slave.

Last edited:
Hello!

I have made good progress and have the engine fired right up in the car, although at this time it has a miss when accelerating from idle and I haven't changed the tach out yet, so no tach. The CEL is on so I am going to see if I can retrieve the code and see what it is looking for. I believe you said that the 92 tach should solve the tach issue with no more wiring changes required, I hope to get that this afternoon.

Of course the clutch is working as well, which was the initial problem, the pedal has to be near the floor and never comes up hard, but it is working so that is also good.

Thanks again for your information.

Cheers!

I just wanted to follow up on this engine, ECU, engine wiring harness, instrument cluster change. Everything went well and the car is running strong now. Thank you to those who did all the initial work in the threads which made this change possible.

A special thank you to 1990TSIAWDTALON for his quick and relevant response, it is appreciated.

A couple of notes which may help someone else in the future. The check engine light and initial miss during acceleration seemed to be due to an improperly seated MAF wiring harness plug. This did unfortunately lead to a running engine that was not driveable. The solution was to return wires 6 and 14 of the ECU plug to their original position. As the 92 engine, 92 engine harness and 92 ECU were changed in this instance, it was not necessary to reverse those two wires. I believe I got into trouble by incorrectly reading the directions. Replacing the instrument cluster / tach from the 92 into the 90 with the other changes now has a completely functional tachometer and the bonus of a newer dash that is in better shape.

Again thank you for the resources and assistance!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back