The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1987 Colt Vista won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420ADaily

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2014
pueblo, Colorado
Well I thought I had it fixed (timing belt gave way and new belts were put on) but now it will not start once again. I checked the timing belt and it is timed correctly and it almost starts, but it will not start.

Is there any sensor that could be keeping it from starting?

SOHC 4g63. Timing is as close as I can get it. I replaced the "silent shaft" belt and timed it too, but would that keep it from starting?

Sadly, "close as I can get it", isn't good enough. It has to be exact - from the mark on the cam sprocket guard with the dot on the cam facing that mark directly, the oil pump sprocket (and in phase) and it's related mark to the mark on the crank sprocket facing directly to the point on the block.

I know it's a bugger at times and that's working with the tensioner pulley to get all marks dead on.

Also, did you rotate the cam sprocket and checked to see if No.1 spark plug wire meets the No.1 position on the rotor under the dist cap?

Actually, it will be a few degrees behind no. 1 due to the needed advance of the dist cap.

i'll try to get it dead on tomorrow.
i did check if the #1 plug wire met the #1 position and it was off, but not by much.

Now it starts and idles for a bit until it dies, it will not rev above 2k. My timing light picked up a mark on the main crankshaft pulley and it seems I need to move the mark counterclockwise. Any advice?

Sorry for the late reply, I did not see this post. Did you ever resolve this?
Maybe the distributor is not installed or timed correctly?

If you need any help PM me, I have all four of 4 of the factory service manuals on the 87 Vista, and have had this issue before on my Vista, usually its the distributor not being timed right.

Two years later, I realize this thread is ancient by internet standards, but still some owner might do a search looking for this info.

So:

Older Colt Vistas (carbureted, up to early '87) have a dual diaphragm (for emissions reasons) vacuum advance canister on the distributor. It can go bad, leak, and not provide the amount of advance the engine wants during high vacuum situations. Happened to me, found it while overhauling a non-running '87 Vista I had bought. Trouble is, the unit is NLA. Where do you get parts that are cheap and will never be NLA? Parts for Chevrolets. I bought an aftermarket vacuum advancer that fits lots of popular old Chevy dizzies, and adapted my Vista dizzy to accept it. I connected it to manifold vacuum instead of to ported vacuum (another emissions thing). Works fine, after adjusting (using a vacuum guage).

My distributor also needed disassembly, clean and lube, and replacement of two little Delrin bushings (again, NLA) that I turned on a lathe. I also re-curved the mechanical advance with different springs. These are old cars, need work, but after you've overhauled the systems they generally just need ordinary maintenance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back