The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1977 Galant wagon 4G63 conversion. CAS questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrathvr4

Proven Member
Sep 15, 2021
Brisbane, California
I know this could be a long shot but worth trying. Long story short, I’m helping a friend with a 6bolt conversion in to his 1977 galant wagon. Engine has been mounted however the block sits very close to the firewall so we are looking at relocating the CAS to the cam gear. What we need to find is the bracket that fits to the old engine mount and holds the CAS directly in front of the cam gear. . Please see pics attached for the bracket we are chasing. This bracket is used in both these pics, and it looks to be of the same shape and make. Any info on where to find this piece of the puzzle will be much appreciated

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I unfortunately don't have one but just was wondering if the CAS works properly when spun backwards or do you have to use a different CAS to run this set-up?
That looks to be the stock 6bolt CAS being used in both pics

Why not use the 2ga cam trigger? Is the 6-bolt head not prepped for it?
To be honest I’m not 100% sure if the head is prepped for it or not. What are the requirements to run a 2ga cam trigger in a 6bolt head? What would be needed?

To be honest I’m not 100% sure if the head is prepped for it or not. What are the requirements to run a 2ga cam trigger in a 6bolt head? What would be needed?
The tone wheel is behind the intake camshaft and a sensor bolts to the head to read it. I'm not so familiar with the 6-bolt, but looking at some pictures, you probably don't have the mounting holes to do it.

Last edited:
I unfortunately don't have one but just was wondering if the CAS works properly when spun backwards or do you have to use a different CAS to run this set-up?
It took me a minute to visualize this, but I believe you are correct, and the CAS would be turning clockwise on the belt end, while it would be turning counter clockwise on the “normal” (flywheel) end of the head. I don’t know enough about the CAS internally to know if that would provide a usable signal to the ecu or not.

I don’t know enough about the CAS internally to know if that would provide a usable signal to the ecu or not.

I've seen people make new trigger discs for things like MS so I expect you could make one with the right holes for reverse rotation.

Or maybe it's as simple as flipping the disc over?

Not enough coffee in my system to think it through.

Last edited:

It took me a minute to visualize this, but I believe you are correct, and the CAS would be turning clockwise on the belt end, while it would be turning counter clockwise on the “normal” (flywheel) end of the head. I don’t know enough about the CAS internally to know if that would provide a usable signal to the ecu or not.

I've seen people make new trigger discs for things like MS so I expect you could make one with the right holes for reverse rotation.

Or maybe it's as simple as flipping the disc over?

You can indeed spin it the other way. You have to flip the disc inside the sensor. That is what I did to control a Volvo B230 with a 1g Ecu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back