The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 1972 Datsun 1200 4g63t

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo-Jr

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
brooklyn, New_York
Hello guys.. I have a cooling question about my project! I'm building a 1972 Datsun 1200 with a 1g 4g63t and 2 speed Powerglide.. My set up is very similar to Kevin jewer blue rwd eclipse, he has help me out with a few ideas in the past but he's very hard to find now in days ..

So I'm starting to work on the cooling system on the car, running an electric water pump.. Kevin had told me that he only runs water through the head, and I'm a bit confused about that ever since the shop who's building the car for me told me that water would still go down to the block and would need a wait out..

So basically I'm reaching out to anyone who might be able to shine some thoughts about this..

Any help would be gladly appreciated, I'm trying to finished the car by the summer and have some fun with it..

A little idea about my set up.. Cylinder head done by curt brown: Supertech nitride coated iconel valves, kiggly beehives w/ti retainers, Ferrea bronze guides, ported competition valve job and gsc s3 cams..
Block: stock crank, wiseco 9.1, Manley I bean rods, acl ai bearings, bse, l19 head studs and kiggly main girdle....

Ask Kevin to elaborate. But yes the inlet is in the head and outlet is on the block it does in that direction, with out flow and a way to cool sitting water won't do you Any good

this is a simple guide a bit elementary for most but it serve a purpose.
http://www.howacarworks.com/basics/how-an-engine-cooling-system-works

This is the only thing that remotely seems related, even then how do you cool your block, or even plug the head from feeding the block?
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulleti...o-for-RWD-Swaps-All-the-info-you-need-to-know

Last edited:
I wrote to Kevin, but he hasn't been around the forum in about 2 months.. im using Magnus Motorsport mid plate, so I had to eliminate the water pump. I went ahead and got the inlet n out ports from jay racing no thinking about how water would still travel to the block.. Remove freeze out plug from the head and use thermostat housing area as a return!

Since this is a drag car, was also thinking on filling the block with cement to plug the water holes and also to be able to run more boost. But don't know which one to use since I see a few different ones out there.. I'm just a bit lost on how to go about it! Don't know if I would have to remove the cylinder head and block off the water ports so no water travel to the block :banghead:

I wrote to Kevin, but he hasn't been around the forum in about 2 months.. im using Magnus Motorsport mid plate, so I had to eliminate the water pump. I went ahead and got the inlet n out ports from jay racing no thinking about how water would still travel to the block.. Remove freeze out plug from the head and use thermostat housing area as a return!

Since this is a drag car, was also thinking on filling the block with cement to plug the water holes and also to be able to run more boost. But don't know which one to use since I see a few different ones out there.. I'm just a bit lost on how to go about it! Don't know if I would have to remove the cylinder head and block off the water ports so no water travel to the block :banghead:
Hi you have to weld all water holes in that head and used 10an fitting in frond off that head and one ad back fill that block with cement

Hi you have to weld all water holes in that head and used 10an fitting in frond off that head and one ad back fill that block with cement

Thank you very much for that.. That was the part I was confused with, my mechanic told me yesterday to just plugged all the holes and that's it.. You know which cement would be good and if I have to take apart the whole block to be to filled the block? I already bought 16an fittings, that's the size everybody use..

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that.. That was the part I was confused with, my mechanic told me yesterday to just plugged all the holes and that's it.. You know which cement would be good and if I have to take apart the whole block to be to filled the block? I already bought 16an fittings, that's the size everybody use..
16an is good when i did my block with cement was empty then bore i still have the bucket off cement i use i let you know that name when i go to my storage

16an is good when i did my block with cement was empty then bore i still have the bucket off cement i use i let you know that name when i go to my storage

Ok cool, thank you.. Going to call my machine guy tomorrow to find out how much he would charge me to do that! Also to weld the wholes on the head even tho Kevin told me that it shouldn't be a problem if water goes into the block, as long as the water is being feed through the head.. Not from stock water pump

Ok cool, thank you.. Going to call my machine guy tomorrow to find out how much he would charge me to do that! Also to weld the wholes on the head even tho Kevin told me that it shouldn't be a problem if water goes into the block, as long as the water is being feed through the head.. Not from stock water pump
No problem bro.you have a green datsun?

Any updates on this?
Sorry for the delay. Now in days i barely use the computer< thanks to this thing called iphone :ohdamn:
Well as far the built, it hasnt been easy after getting into a car accident and out of work for 2 years. Most of the fab was done by a really good friend of mine, which hes not longer here with us R I P Mike modeste AKA Mustang Mike. He was the master mind of my little project! We basically wanted to make some changes to the chassy because the car was build long long time ago and needed some updates. We started from the rear, changing the drum brakes to disc brakes, updating axles and a nice aluminum driveshaft. We decided to go automatic, so we went with a powerglide trans. Added 2 more bars to the cage toward the engine bay to be able to mount the magnus engine plate. I tell you, the engine wasnt an esay fit on that small engine bay. No space to breath at all, to the point that we werent using a radiator because the air/water intercooler was taking all the space. With that being said, we went ahead and install 2 5 gallon tanks on the passenger side. One for the intercooler and for engine cooling with the purpose of using ice to cool everything down. I met a guy here on the forum to wired the whole car for me, offered me the moon and delivered a cup of sand :ohdamn: gave me a price to wired everything and fired up the car. Well he wired everything to an extend, rpm gauge not working neither oil pressure gauge and few other things he didnt finished. Had to paid somebody else to fired up the car since he wasnt able to! I tried several times to get him to do the rest of the things but keep giving me the run around. Im done with that, but like us spanish people say GOD DONT LIKE UGLY!

So basically the car starts up but havent been able to do much since i was bottling with overheating issues with the car. The idea of the 5 gallon ice box didnt work for me, so we have to see where in the car we can put a radiator. Had friend come by the garage, he took some measurements under the car right behind the rear end where i have the fuel pumps and trans cooler. Move everything to the left and was able to make room to fit one of those Drag radiators for hondas. Radiator is already in place, just have to run the lines now.

I tried posting some pictures to show you guys the process but i cant figure out how to load them up :ohdamn: Hoping to soon hit the dyno and run this thing! Im sure car wont be fast for now since im not planning to spend any more money or upgrading my small 6262 turbo

Sorry for the delay. Now in days i barely use the computer< thanks to this thing called iphone :ohdamn:
Well as far the built, it hasnt been easy after getting into a car accident and out of work for 2 years. Most of the fab was done by a really good friend of mine, which hes not longer here with us R I P Mike modeste AKA Mustang Mike. He was the master mind of my little project! We basically wanted to make some changes to the chassy because the car was build long long time ago and needed some updates. We started from the rear, changing the drum brakes to disc brakes, updating axles and a nice aluminum driveshaft. We decided to go automatic, so we went with a powerglide trans. Added 2 more bars to the cage toward the engine bay to be able to mount the magnus engine plate. I tell you, the engine wasnt an esay fit on that small engine bay. No space to breath at all, to the point that we werent using a radiator because the air/water intercooler was taking all the space. With that being said, we went ahead and install 2 5 gallon tanks on the passenger side. One for the intercooler and for engine cooling with the purpose of using ice to cool everything down. I met a guy here on the forum to wired the whole car for me, offered me the moon and delivered a cup of sand :ohdamn: gave me a price to wired everything and fired up the car. Well he wired everything to an extend, rpm gauge not working neither oil pressure gauge and few other things he didnt finished. Had to paid somebody else to fired up the car since he wasnt able to! I tried several times to get him to do the rest of the things but keep giving me the run around. Im done with that, but like us spanish people say GOD DONT LIKE UGLY!

So basically the car starts up but havent been able to do much since i was bottling with overheating issues with the car. The idea of the 5 gallon ice box didnt work for me, so we have to see where in the car we can put a radiator. Had friend come by the garage, he took some measurements under the car right behind the rear end where i have the fuel pumps and trans cooler. Move everything to the left and was able to make room to fit one of those Drag radiators for hondas. Radiator is already in place, just have to run the lines now.

I tried posting some pictures to show you guys the process but i cant figure out how to load them up :ohdamn: Hoping to soon hit the dyno and run this thing! Im sure car wont be fast for now since im not planning to spend any more money or upgrading my small 6262 turbo

Attachments

• 99AABFBC-2BEC-44BC-A2E5-96DF2355824E.jpeg
    99AABFBC-2BEC-44BC-A2E5-96DF2355824E.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 7C94B040-0216-49C6-AB58-EC6038E58AE6.jpeg
    7C94B040-0216-49C6-AB58-EC6038E58AE6.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 28EFC966-2F05-4B16-A747-F39EF7AE0B4A.jpeg
    28EFC966-2F05-4B16-A747-F39EF7AE0B4A.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DBEDE97A-8660-4DD8-A560-E594A8AA74D9.jpeg
    DBEDE97A-8660-4DD8-A560-E594A8AA74D9.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 0BA0DE27-B54C-4029-9FA9-22E804D9D06F.jpeg
    0BA0DE27-B54C-4029-9FA9-22E804D9D06F.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 230
  • E872CC50-A220-4DCA-B6FE-53DCC8FC81C9.jpeg
    E872CC50-A220-4DCA-B6FE-53DCC8FC81C9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • 638E3DF9-9B30-4B63-ADBF-2B09C4AEB50E.jpeg
    638E3DF9-9B30-4B63-ADBF-2B09C4AEB50E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
  • 3F5F69D1-BB01-4EF9-A569-2046A77B9E58.jpeg
    3F5F69D1-BB01-4EF9-A569-2046A77B9E58.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Cool build, I saw that you are using a 2spd power glide. How did the mounting to the block work out for you? Was there any other options you considered before going with that transmission? Reason I ask is that I may be starting on my RAM50 coversion soon so keeping options open for transmission choices is on the top of my list.

Man, it would be cool to see a Vehicle Profile set up for this car so we can see the full mod list and photos all together. Very cool project.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back