The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

18x9 +12 Saleen Wheels!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I don't know how the car will handle now, but I know for a fact better than it would before. Since all the car would do is slide nose first into a hard corner. This is the type of driving I was raised on, due to living on 50 miles of S Curves from the city to my parents house. I rather enjoyed my Negative Camber.

All when you could spend <$40 on some longer bolts and washers for the upper control arm mounts.

And then My car doesn't move at all due to the car sitting on the tire. I have a MM of space from my tire, to the inner fender. If I were to lift the car, which I will NOT because this is the whole reason I did it.... It still wont make a difference because of how wide the offset of the wheels are. Under hard launches, cornering, bumps, the tire will hit the fender. Causing damaged fenders and severely damaged tires.

Under hard launches, cornering, bumps, the tire will hit the fender. Causing damaged fenders and severely damaged tires.

I just hope its not a daily, just looks too low to be comfortable. btw im all for "how low can you go"
ps i feel sorry for whoever had to mount those tires on those wheels! (225 on 9's) OMG

225 isn't bad at all. Feel sorry? He got 2 packs of cigs for it and had the tires mounted in less than 5 minutes, both! He took the tire, pushed it over the first bead.... took the machine to pull the second bead over, hooked up the air machine and aired them up. People put 225's on 10" wide wheels. There are videos on youtube of them doing it. And when mine were mounted it was just like any other tire. In fact he made it look easy and like he's been doing tires wayyyyy too long. Cause he honestly did just what I described in a matter of minutes. He was happy, I was happy.

And as for comfort, Not sure. I was slammed on my Civic On stock shocks and only thing that was uncomfortable was high speeds on bumps while traveling with the car packed with people. Couple of us big guys went to a town the next state over and some of the bridges we went over were kinda bouncy. But this GSX has 5way adjustable shocks. So far the car feels like it did on 1.5" drop.

Note to self: it's an Appearance thread ... ignore the 225s on 9s. Move on.

Too much talk of camber in this thread. I do want to mention though, that you are somewhat mistaken infinitegsx...it has in fact been proven on numerous setups that DSMs need much more camber in front than the rear to handle better. Hence most people saying to set the rear camber to half of the front. So more negative camber is good to an extent, and it also depends where it is. Also, our cars are different than others as well by the fact that going lower is not the best to do. You can actually only go low to a certain extent while improving handling, past that it just hurts it (I am past that point as well). Custom subframes are the only way to correct that. Anyhow, as I said on Facebook, I think it looks fantastic, I love the fitment

I admit it, I think it looks cool, even if it does follow the "stance" trend, which is a little silly. Too bad they ride and handle like ass due to the suspension geometry being shot when you drop them that low. You'll probably be riding on bump stops most of time due to the suspension travel being next to nothing in the front - they don't have much travel to begin with and it's now worse being that low. You'll wear out your shocks twice or three times as fast.

I wish we could lower these cars this much and have them handle well. It would be good for those of us who like to run them on road courses and autocross courses. But they don't. I like the wheels on the car.

Well like I said, as much as I love the look, the car wont be that low. Its currently resting on the frame. The last picture I posted it actually had enough travel. No bump stops. I've even looked at the top of the spring to find out how much travel I have, as well I have raised the shocks top mounting point almost an inch to prevent damage to shocks. I wish I could be this low. But its impossible without modification to the frame.

You need to do more research...especially around this fact:

And yours qualifies for excessive for these cars. You also have negatively affected your straight line acceleration, bud.

As with everything else in existence moderation is the key to success.

Have you even been around a track or are you just trying to justify your liking of hellaflush without just manning up to it?

:pray:

Dude every comment i see from you on a swag thread is hating, just dont post for once.. and dude, how are you gonna talk when your wing is taller than yourr car and your dropping rice out your exhaust. WTF

Well like I said, as much as I love the look, the car wont be that low. Its currently resting on the frame. The last picture I posted it actually had enough travel. No bump stops. I've even looked at the top of the spring to find out how much travel I have, as well I have raised the shocks top mounting point almost an inch to prevent damage to shocks. I wish I could be this low. But its impossible without modification to the frame.

Modification to the frame? You mean subframes right? This is a unibody car...there is no frame. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? Lol.

Dude every comment i see from you on a swag thread is hating, just dont post for once.. and dude, how are you gonna talk when your wing is taller than yourr car and your dropping rice out your exhaust. WTF
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I wasn't gonna say anything, Actually I was but I deleted it. But its ok, Let him. I hate on a lot of the ricer/body kit threads all the time.
Modification to the frame? You mean subframes right? This is a unibody car...there is no frame. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? Lol.
Yes Subframe, calm down!

Hey infinite how close are those, wheels to your spindles? My 17x8s were close to touching mine. Idk I always get confused when it comes to offset. Maybe,its the offset that puts, yours out, enough to keep from rubbing.

Btw even though arguing over the camber thing I'm not hating on your ride. I thought damn! When I seen it, then went, and looked, at wheel prices. Those things,are, expensive! Look really good, though bro.

I'm running about a degree on my rears I think? Idk how to check. I haven't gotten abnormal wear yet but my tires sit pretty well on the pavement still. But I keep my fronts close to zero. Well see how,it goes, when I drop it more.

I'm going to reserve my judgement for when it's raised up a bit. 225s on a 9" is more stretch than I run, however, and I feel unsafe in a car with no redeeming performance qualities. :)

Man them saleen rims look awesome, they look alot bigger then what they are. Good looking car buddy

Would definitely like the rims better if they weren't chrome...just my personal taste.

As far as performance - more camber isn't always better for handling; that's far from "fact". There's is definitely a point of diminishing returns. Think about it this way - if your wheels were completely horizontal, how would the car handle?

If I were you I wouldn't argue about performance. You can stand your ground all day long on looks (because that's completely based on opinion and, if you think it looks good, that's all that matters), but you're fighting a loosing battle if you're trying to justify your setup on performance.

I can't stop staring at the car. It even stopped a neighbor while they were driving by, and they had to call me over to complement it. :)

I've been running TRUE excessive camber on my Slammed Civic

I think we all know the motives here. Chalk it up to another guy who is more worried about appearance and what others think than performance or reliability. Unfortunately, this one just happens to own a turbo DSM.

I'm not a fan of chrome on DSM's. And that excessive camber/hellaflush looks retarded. But that pic in post #24 (when the car wasn't completely slammed) it looks much better.

PS, camber DOES wear tires out faster. My old Talon was proof of that. Alignment was spot on, just camber was way out. The inner edges of my tires were worn about half way down, and the outer edges were like new still. This was after one summer of driving, or about 3000 miles.

Last edited:
Guess no one read my post at the end of page one LOL. Dude the car looks good but don't expect tires to last more than 2 months at the most.

Like.

But please, Powdercoat them a new color?
Chrome is for musclecars and luxury vehicles.

Hey infinite how close are those, wheels to your spindles? My 17x8s were close to touching mine. Idk I always get confused when it comes to offset. Maybe,its the offset that puts, yours out, enough to keep from rubbing.
The wheels are +12. There is about an inch and a quarter of space from the wheel to the spindle. More room than I was expecting.
Would definitely like the rims better if they weren't chrome...just my personal taste.

As far as performance - more camber isn't always better for handling; that's far from "fact". There's is definitely a point of diminishing returns. Think about it this way - if your wheels were completely horizontal, how would the car handle?

If I were you I wouldn't argue about performance. You can stand your ground all day long on looks (because that's completely based on opinion and, if you think it looks good, that's all that matters), but you're fighting a loosing battle if you're trying to justify your setup on performance.
I would have rather the wheels not chrome either, but I picked them up for 350 bucks, Authentic. Cannot complain. As for performance, I'll gladly enjoy my enhanced handling compared to what the car was before. Not losing any battle here. Ty
I think we all know the motives here. Chalk it up to another guy who is more worried about appearance and what others think than performance or reliability. Unfortunately, this one just happens to own a turbo DSM.
Lets see, high comp E85 2.4L 35R AWD. Again I'll enjoy my ENHANCED performance over what the car was before when it used to just SLIDE with hardly any camber. Ty
I'm not a fan of chrome on DSM's. And that excessive camber/hellaflush looks retarded. But that piic in post #24 (when the car wasn't completely slammed) it looks much better.

PS, camber DOES wear tires out faster. My old Talon was proof of that. Alignment was spot on, just camber was way out. The inner edges of my tires were worn about half way down, and the outer edges were like new still. This was after one summer of driving, or about 3000 miles.
I'm sorry for your tire issues. I drove my civic, slammed just like this (which I cannot be this low on this car because it wont physically move) for over 2 years with perfect alignment and 0 camber adjustment. The tires didn't have any uneven tire wear. As for excessive camber. Its not. Its only a few degrees of Camber. The problem with everyone here is they don't know what excessive is. You look at the car and you hardly see any camber unless you look for camber. And the hellaflush look, looks insane on DSM's. I'm just soo shocked sooooo many DSM owners are that blinded and idiotic about looks. Instead they would rather the car look like true ass but have a big power plant under the hood. Its not me. I wouldn't drive the car if it had quad digit hp numbers and looked like shit. Wouldn't do it. Ty
Guess no one read my post at the end of page one LOL. Dude the car looks good but don't expect tires to last more than 2 months at the most.
Again, I will enjoy my long tire life due to the professional alignment that will be done. Ty.

Those look good on there! Definitely need to lift it a little.

I'm just soo shocked sooooo many DSM owners are that blinded and idiotic about looks. Instead they would rather the car look like true ass but have a big power plant under the hood. Its not me. I wouldn't drive the car if it had quad digit hp numbers and looked like shit. Wouldn't do it. Ty
In many cases that's true. I really wish more DSMers took pride and put more effort into making their cars look good - not overly extreme like the whole hellaflush trend, but just tasteful styling - which for me means very little fender gap, clean paint, stock appearing body, and nice wheels. If you raised your car an inch or two it would be really close to what I'd like. I think you should be able to see the top of the tire, maybe with a finger's width of fender gap.

Unfortunately for those of us that like handling, what I think looks good doesn't always equate to the best handling (like lowering the car more than an inch from stock). I think the hellaflush/stance trend is a fad that will run its course, just like BMW fenders, altezza tail lights, flashy body kits, pastel color paint jobs, etc. It's the more subtle styles that will not end up looking dated in a few years. Those are the looks that I like best.

An inch from stock however isn't a drop at all. The thing has like 4" stock fender gap! Thats too much. The last picture of the car I posted is where I like it. And thats where I'll leave it. I think the whole hellaflush thing is nice. Hellaflush tho. Not mexiflush or all of that stupid shit that some others do. I only have a few degrees of camber fully slammed, which I think looks good, anymore would be too much but thank god that wasn't the case. I care about handling, But the thing is, I was on 1.7/1.4 H&R Springs, Tokico Illumina 5 way Adjustable Shocks and very grippy tires and I may not log tons of hours on a pad or track, but Road Racing has been in my blood since its what I grew up on. Hell my family lives on 50 miles of S Curves, no exaggeration there. In the mountains, Left, right, left right, Nice straight, hard right, left, hard left, ect.... And this suspension scared me. My Civic, fully slammed, on stock struts, cheap ebay coils, Suspension Tech Front and Rear Sway Bars, would do circles around this GSX. And it had a stock 1.5L Non vtec engine. I think like 50hp max LOL! But I could take that thing to the limits, if I push this car a little bit, it would SLIDE into turns, nose forward. Rear end never slid because it had a good amount of camber. Fronts had hardly any camber, if any. And it would go nose first into a turn every time. Thats not cool by any means! Thats not proper handling. But yet to everyone on camber issues, it is!

The car will be lifted about an inch. I'm going to measure it right and get the front and rear tires to match their fenders and leave it. IF people don't like it, oh well. The majority of the people that see it likes it. Thats sweet. I love it. I don't care what others think which is why I say "SUCK IT". I just felt like showing it off. I knew people would trip. Lots of people don't like things I do, like my engine bay. ITs candy blue. I had to do something to it because the engine bay was burnt from fire damage when I got the body. But nooo, I'm a ricer because my engine bay surrounding my built engine and turbo is blue! Looks like I had a blue car and was too cheap to paint the bay.

Its Whatever. I wish more people would take more pride in their cars than just their motor build. Its the main reason why DSM owners are laughed at.

An inch from stock however isn't a drop at all.

Careful. Some people might read the above as a handling issue which removes the ban on my commenting. What defines whether the drop is too much is the angle of the lower lateral arm, not the fender gap.

All bickering aside, OP I love the way your car sits/looks. Exactly the look I would want on my 2g. IMO these cars look amazing with a really low stance and flush fitment and the Saleen wheels make it that much better! So, kudos to you! And I will be saving those pictures and adding them to my desktop slideshow :thumb:

EDIT: and by the way, what is your suspension setup? I tried to skim through the posts but I didn't see anything about it.

While the wheels themselves look dope, car is too low with too much camber. And as far as you saying that people don't take pride in their cars appearance, I'm offended by this statement because both me and a friend of mine are both restoring our cars inside and out because we like the way a fresh, clean dsm looks. Not to mention I'm gonna be running around 600hp and my friends gonna be somewhere around 750. None of our cars are hellaflush, or looks like poop status, just clean and fast. I agree though that there should be more people who take pride in the appearance as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back