The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

18G-5H Turbo or EVO III Big 16g????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzyjay

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2003
South_CarolinaUS
I am trying to chose which turbo because they are in the same price range. The turbo will be goin on my new project a Galant Vr4. It will have a rebuilt long block, no forged internals just new parts. It will not be a race car maybe form light to light. I need to know the pros/cons of the 18G-5H Turbo and EVO III Big 16g turbos when compared to each other. Thanks in advance.

found my answer

what did you go with?? i was going to go with a pte 50trim but steping down to keep it streetable and more "travel" worthy etc.

I'm running an tdo5h-18g, with a custom compressor housing. Works great for me, even though I have it at the stock boost level.

For now!

Amen! the 50 trim w/ the most popular turbine wheel is VERY quick spooling. And any lag you notice over the MHI turbos in the area of flow to that compressor is overshadowed by the higher hp per psi becasue of the higher flowing turbine.

But If I had a choice, I'd chose the 18g hands down. The evo3 16g compressor flows at about the limit of the tdo5h turbine wheel and 7 cm^2 housing (with which it is coupled). If you have an 18g compressor wheel, then you can just clip that turbine and gain quite a bit. There's a reason why FP claims that it flows more than an Evo3 16g.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back