The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 17x9 Wheels 225/45 Tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubleot

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2009
Spanish Fork, Utah
I'm just curious as to what problems I'll have or modifications I'll need to do in order to use wheels in that size.

The offset is +35 on the specific wheels I'm looking at.

Will probably go with a 225/45 tire.

Any on topic input helps.

Thanks for the space guys.

Do not go 225 with that wide of rim, go with atleast 245s

It would look like this. This are 235/45 on a 17x9 +35

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,974

Are you using a spacer with that??

My current rims are 7.5 wide, with a 45mm offset and they are about 10mm away from rubbing on the inside.

They measure 140.25mm from mount face, to the Inside edge of the rim (inside edge meaning the edge of the rim most towards the control arm)

Your 9" wide rims, with a 35mm offset would in turn, measure to be 149.3mm...

If I put those rims on with no spacers I would be literally 1mm away from the control arm.

If you did use a spacer, let me know which one worked best, although it sort of looks like your car isn't much lower than stock, could that have helped with this?? My car is very low, so I think that may be where my spacing issues are stemming.

I was told the ideal 9" wide rim for our cars should have a 22mm-30mm offset @ a 2.2" drop (where im surrently sitting), and 28mm-32mm with a 1.5" drop, and lastly 30mm-35mm with a 1.3" drop.

At least this is what I was told by a friend that is a Suspension guru, I had him help me adjust my coilovers and measure some things.

Damnit I just order RPF1's in black. 17x8 +35.
I should've went with 17x9 +35. I was debating on getting the 9'' too. That looks insane. Any better quality pics of this car?

I got the shell from him and built it, now i have 17x9 +45 235/40. I bought them from Tsidrifter, no spacers needed. 3mm of clearance on 95 rear knuckles, my tires are a little bit stretch but nothing to affect function. I'm dropped like 2' to 2.2' inches.

Hope it helps. :)

Attachments

• img269.jpg
    img269.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,268
I was going to say, 95-96 rear knuckles are different than 97-99 rear knuckles.
I run 255/40 17's on 17x9's with an effective offset of +35mm.

Toyo RA-1's are probably the widest 255/40/17 out there.
They measure a full 10.4" sidewall to sidewall.

I would also go with a 245. You shouldn't have to make any modifications unless you go with a 255 which might require a bit of fender rolling.

depending on how low you are even with a 245 tire you might need to roll the fenders. i run a 17x8.5 +30 and i had to have the front and rear fenders rolled, but my car is pretty low (front and rear lower control are parallel with the ground)

Lots of good info on here guys. If I do plan to go this way they will be installed on my 96 Tsi Awd talon. I would probably do a 245/40 so I could still have a good stance.

Keep the info coming. It sounds like it is different for every car out there depending on suspension, tires, and year of make.

From what I've been reading on this thread

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/road...choice-2g.html

A 2GA Would need to either, swap rear spindles, with a 2GB or get 5mm Spacers.

The more I research this, the less it makes me want to do it. Seems like a lot of work for not so much of a gain (In my cars life). Still debating though, these wheels I have my eyes on would make my car pop.

This all really good information. I am looking to get a set of 17x8.5 wheels and they are 30mm back spacing and I'm thinking of either 245/40-17s or 245/45-17 I was looking at 5Zigen GN+ Pro and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo110. I looks like I should be good based on the set ups you guys are using.

Just for the record, i have stock 95 spindles and the previous owner fitted a 17x9 +35 with a 255/ 40 don't know what brand though, i'll go with 245 to be safe. 97+ spindles are just 3mm more.

Just for the record, i have stock 95 spindles and the previous owner fitted a 17x9 +35 with a 255/ 40 don't know what brand though, i'll go with 245 to be safe. 97+ spindles are just 3mm more.

Huh, So you are running the stock spindles with the 17x9 wheels?

I might be game for these after all LOL

Wow, tons of good info as I'm in the market for some 17X9 as well. The wheels that I'm looking at (because it fits my budget) are the Rota Grids. The only two offset options I have are either 17X9 +42 or 17X9 +25. I would like to wrap them with some 245/45 tires, but I keep going back and forth on whether these 17X9's with said offsets will even fit...

Oh and my suspension set up is Tokico 5-Way Adjustable Struts and Eibach Prokit Springs.

Huh, So you are running the stock spindles with the 17x9 wheels?

I might be game for these after all LOL

Yes. :D like i said now i have 235/40 but this car had 255/40 on 17x9 with +35.

Wow, tons of good info as I'm in the market for some 17X9 as well. The wheels that I'm looking at (because it fits my budget) are the Rota Grids. The only two offset options I have are either 17X9 +42 or 17X9 +25. I would like to wrap them with some 245/45 tires, but I keep going back and forth on whether these 17X9's with said offsets will even fit...

Oh and my suspension set up is Tokico 5-Way Adjustable Struts and Eibach Prokit Springs.

get the +42 offset and you should be alright for 245/45, i would recommend the 40 series tire because it is closer to stock, worst case scenario would be you need 5mm spacers with are available in pepboys for $10 and you would not need longer wheel studs or anything.

get the +42 offset and you should be alright for 245/45, i would recommend the 40 series tire because it is closer to stock, worst case scenario would be you need 5mm spacers with are available in pepboys for $10 and you would not need longer wheel studs or anything.

+42 is what I was thinking but people I know have said +25...then again they aren't the most reliable of people to get wheel setup info from:ohdamn:.

Thanks!

+42 is what I was thinking but people I know have said +25...then again they aren't the most reliable of people to get wheel setup info from:ohdamn:.

Thanks!

+25 would stick out the fender alot and wear wheels bearings rapidly, Im running 17x9 +45 and with the tire i have is 3 or 4mm front the knucle, a 245 would be +5 on each side, that means if i put a 245 ill rub 2mm but with a +42 offset you would have 1mm space put since you have a 97+ you would have 4mm of space from the knucle.

Anyone by chance know if a set of 17x9's with a +42 offset, would fit on a 1g? I'd probably go with a 245 tire as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back