The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

17.5 Volts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90AWDTalon

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2003
Everett, Washington
My alternator is putting out 17.5 volts, its only 2 months old so I have warranty on it. But before I take it back I wanted make sure that I don't have an external voltage regulator, if I do I need to check that first. I'm pretty sure its inside the alternator though.

Also, do I need to check to make sure I didn't fry any electrical components? The voltage was getting high enough to make my amp shut off, the power windows went up and down so fast it was like they were turbo charged, and I could the the fuel pump was also working much harder becuase the frequency got higher and it got louder, and all my dash lights were twice as bright as normal.

Don't drive your car when your alternator is producing that much power. You can fry everything electrical in your car. Fuel pump, all electric motors and all wiring could fry very easily b/c its not meant for that much power. Get it fixed quickly!!!!

"All models use a regulator that is integral (intergrated) with the alternator. If the regulator is defective, replacement of the alternator is required" says chiltons.
I say while you are replacing it, it would be a good idea to upgrade to a 90amp alternator, instead of your 75 amp one. Hope this helps...ohh , and get an aftermarket one....satan will realy rape you if you go thru them
-Robert

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back