The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

16G with Nitrous...Big T-28 with Nitrous...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cucumber

20+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2002
Knoxville_(School)_Murfreesboro_(Home)Tennessee
I had nitrous on my old car, a 1995 GS. A dry kit it was, and boy did it help that slug of a car.

Well, now I have new goals. My goal is mid 12's in my Spyder FWD with slicks, LSD, etc.

I was planning on going with a large turbo such as the Green, AGP L2R, etc...

Will a properly tuned 16G or Big T-28 help me achieve these goals with persay, a 50 shot...or larger?

What setup will be cheaper? What setup will be better?

I look forward to hearing comments on this.

As much as I am an advocate of nitrous, I strongly suggest going with the Green, L2R, or perhaps an ETE32 over the 16g/nitrous combo. The reason for this is the weak 2G bottom ends. Granted, they *can* handle a decent amount of power, one tuning mistake could spell disaster. The larger turbo will be a softer hit on the internals than the quick spooling 16g with a nice burst of energy from nitrous. If you do go with the larger turbo, I again highly recomend a good front mount, and a PMS. When you are trying to push the envelope on a finicky bottom end, it is best to have as much tunability as possible, and leave yourself a margin for error. I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

...What setup will be cheaper? What setup will be better?...

ALWAYS remember, these two things very seldom go together. There is a saying in the performance shop world. It goes:

People want things done Fast, Cheap, and Good, however, you can only get 2 of these at any one time.
You can get it Good and Cheap, but it won't be fast (your car.)
You can get it Fast and Cheap, but it won't be Good.
You can get it Good and Fast, but it won't be Cheap.

See where I am going with this? There are so few very fast cars out there because it is an EXTREMELY expensive hobby, and one in which you cannot afford to cheap out on anything. If it was cheap and easy, everyone would have a fast car.

Regards,

Aslan, I really appreciate your input, that was some good advice. I know a fellow around here that recommended this setup and I thought about it...I'm not sure about it though.

My initial inclinations were to go with a large turbo i.e. Green, ETE32, or L2R...possibly even a 20G...

I understand your Cheap analogy, too...I get carried away sometimes in this game, and don't stop and think. I will be sure to IM you with any tech questions when I dive deeper into this game, for now I am just a bolt-on guy.

Thanks.

I have used many nitrous kits however none on Turbo powered cars. In my opinion though, if you had a Big28 on the car, and you used a nitrous kit it would be safe.

NX on their single nozzle kit has jets for 35hp. That would probablly give a 60hp increase on a turbo car (partially for cooling) and would probablly run all day long with no problems. I have also seen guys running much larger shots on the 2G with the Big28 however it was on C16.

This is going to be my combo setup though I don't really plan on spraying on the street, only the track to get a faster ET. A 35hp shot is so small that it will make a small difference and likely not get you into any trouble.

Again however this is only my theory and I still have yet to test it on my car. Next year...

Originally posted by DSMJim
I have used many nitrous kits however none on Turbo powered cars. In my opinion though, if you had a Big28 on the car, and you used a nitrous kit it would be safe.

NX on their single nozzle kit has jets for 35hp. That would probablly give a 60hp increase on a turbo car (partially for cooling) and would probablly run all day long with no problems. I have also seen guys running much larger shots on the 2G with the Big28 however it was on C16.

This is going to be my combo setup though I don't really plan on spraying on the street, only the track to get a faster ET. A 35hp shot is so small that it will make a small difference and likely not get you into any trouble.

Again however this is only my theory and I still have yet to test it on my car. Next year...

Jim, I'm anticipating having my setup next year too. Hopefully you're right, because I'm leaning to the Big T-28 with a nice small shot on it just for the track to yield some better times. And because I don't have a massive turbo, the Big T-28 would be a nice autocross turbo. I don't know...decisions...decisions...:)

John

Your right on the autocross part of it john, the big 28 is awesome turbo and im proboly gonna try on some nos next year or maybe late this winter but how big of shot you thinkin of runnin?

Originally posted by Airpoppoff
Your right on the autocross part of it john, the big 28 is awesome turbo and im proboly gonna try on some nos next year or maybe late this winter but how big of shot you thinkin of runnin?

Well, like DSMJim said, I really only want a real small shot, for a little extra umph in the 1320. I enjoy autocrossing, so if I got a massive turbo, I couldn't really do it anymore. I'm not sure dude, I have got several options in mind.

I'm running a big 16G and a 50 shot (wet) I've been running it like that for awhile now. It seems to be holding together just fine, I also have all the supporting mods I need also. When I swaped my turbo I swap out the injectors (with 550s) and added an SAFC. I did some tunning, when I got it tuned good I fattened it up a little bit more (just to be safe) then I srpayed it and it felt really good.

Originally posted by DamionGST
I'm running a big 16G and a 50 shot (wet) I've been running it like that for awhile now. It seems to be holding together just fine, I also have all the supporting mods I need also. When I swaped my turbo I swap out the injectors (with 550s) and added an SAFC. I did some tunning, when I got it tuned good I fattened it up a little bit more (just to be safe) then I srpayed it and it felt really good.

Just curious, any times?

I have time slips, but there are from a rinky dink 1000' track
t25@16psi
.750 reaction time
2.1 60'
1000' ET 12.2
1000' mph 89mph

t25@20psi+N20=
.548 reaction time
2.1 60' (drag radials)
1000' ET 11.4
1000' mph 97mph (yes the 50 shot picked me up a almost a whole second and 8 mph)
(sprayed 1st,2nd,3rd)

Big 16G@19psi+N20=
.605 reaction time
2.7 60' (terrible 60' spun like hell in 1st and 2nd I need slicks)
1000' ET 11.7 (60' killed me)
1000' mph 100mph
(only made one run this time but i'm trying to make it to a 1/4 mile track before the winter) I tried to spray 1stbut had to lat off button, then I tried to spray 2nd broke out in a violent wheel spin, sprayed all the way through third.

I woundn't recommend spraying on a t25 though, I sprayed it one time but I knew I was replacing it. I just wanted to see what it wound do.

i'm on a big 16g right now on a 6 bolt bottom end at 19 psi and have been considering a nitrous oxide systems wet kit for my fwd. right now i run an mbc that my friend custom made (this thing is the best i've ever used) and with a ported o2 housing my 16g hits pretty hard. the turbo has extremely fast spool and i was considering at the minimum a window switch for my car. what rpm incremements would be good since i'd most likely be running the car to near redline. i was thinking a 3000-7000 setup might work well since i typically launch at 4000.

i have a lsd but i was figuring if i could just go like 85% through most of first and then finally go wide open in second and pray to god it hooks up. another thing i was considering was a two stage mbc to try and limit the power the engine made on boost in the first 2 gears at least, or is a variable nitrous controller a better option??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back