The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

16g Turbo Not Spinning Freely

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointblank9957

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
i tore down my 16G so i could redrill & tap the oil feed port because it was an m10 hole, i had an m12 SS line. i must've assembled it wrong or something because the wheels do not turn freely :banghead:

i notice that before i tighten the compressor side nut, it spins frelly, but after i tighten it down, it doesn't... the nut, wheel, & shaft are all marked with a line, i don't torque it, i just align the lines (should've been torqued from factory right?). i don't know what's up with it, i tried getting some oil on all the journal bearings and it still binds. the CW doesn't rub against anything and neither does the TW... any ideas?

Since I don't have the turbo in front of me I can't give an accurate answer aside from something internally is binding...more often than not it's the turbine sealing ring being bent or not fully seated in the groove, or the thrust collar was installed upside down.

Seems like it would've been easier to just buy a different line than tear the turbo down and risk screwing something up.

Since I don't have the turbo in front of me I can't give an accurate answer aside from something internally is binding...more often than not it's the turbine sealing ring being bent or not fully seated in the groove, or the thrust collar was installed upside down.

Seems like it would've been easier to just buy a different line than tear the turbo down and risk screwing something up.

i'll go check all the seal later, it just bugs me, its a brand new turbo, and this is keeping me form completing my conversion

tore the whole thing down again, down to every circlip, seal, & bearing, and cleaned it with soap and water and put it back together with motor oil on the bearing. bind is gone. now back to the conversion :sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back