The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

16g turbo not making boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willelvs

Proven Member
Mar 20, 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
Hey guys I have 94 talon tsi awd with the 6 bolt engine and a 16g turbo. Just bought the car all the mods were done by previous owner. I was driving today and did a small pull and the car pulled strong and drove normal but afterwards i went to just scoot around another car and its like the turbo quit working. my boost reads 5psi from what i see on full throttle and high rpms. I did a brief look over the intercooler and piping to see if something came loose or came off. I'm going to pressure test the system soon. car runs fine without boost and idles smooth just no boost and no fun :(. I was just curious if there is some major problem the 16g has as i am new the dsm family.

found a small pool of oil on the compressor side of the turbo. maybe i blew a seal?

Check to see if the wategate actuator is getting stuck.

My bet is this. I'm using an Evo VIII 16G and this same thing happened to me. The oil, to my knowledge, wouldn't explain why you wouldn't build ANY boost at all.

I had something similar happen where the wastegate actuator rod was binding up just slightly, never letting it close fully. It built boost very slowly and linear, and didn't make power until the VERY top end of the powerband, regardless of what the boost controller asked.

So I finally got a chance to check the wastegate. I can pull the rod backwards and there is strong resistance ( I assume that means it is closed). The actuator off the turbo is flappy though? Is that normal? I read also that your cat can be clogged and not allowing the turbo to spool up, does this happen? Car idles with 20inhg and still no smoke or nothing. Thanks for the help guys this is my first DSM and first turbo car so I have very little knowledge on this stuff.

Update: took it to a shop the said the turbo was shot. They said there was too much resistance in the exhaust system and found more oil in the intercooler piping than normal. They suspect it's on the verge of seizing. Also told me it was a cheap no name eBay turbo so go figure.

The cat can definitely hurt spool a lot. I had a MagnaFlow HFC on my third gen when I first boosted it and despite running the stock Evo VIII wastegate spring pressure (about 12PSI), I was only able to see about 7PSI due to the cat. It got so clogged during the tuning process that it eventually built up enough backpressure upon startup that it misfired and shot a hole right through the honeycomb and sent it out my tailpipe. I broke the rest of the baffling out with a baseball bat and did a pull and what do ya know, 12.9PSI.

Sorry to hear about your luck though, are you going to replace it with an OEM 14B or get a bigger turbo? You've got the perfect excuse to upgrade past the 16G now LOL

Well it's my dd so I'm probably just gonna get a 16g again but I can't decide if I want a Evo III 16g or a cxracing 16g. Also I don't know what the next step up is :confused: LOL.

Def don't get another eBay turbo try to find a good used mhi 16g least it will last . Or even a 14b.
Don't upgrade to bigger turbo unless u have supporting mods . Injectors, pump etc

Well it's my dd so I'm probably just gonna get a 16g again but I can't decide if I want a Evo III 16g or a cxracing 16g. Also I don't know what the next step up is :confused: LOL.

CXRacing is still a chinese knock off. Get the real thing.

I have a big 16g by turbo xs, 10k on the turbo with no shaft play. If I could afford the real deal I would but the CXracing will do fine for a while till you can save up to get the real deal.

Look at it this way man if you end up going the china turbo route you'll dish out what $200 for a turbo that will most likely go within the next 5k miles IF YOURE LUCKY.
After that happens you might realize "Hey, I want a better quality turbo" which will last at least 25-50k miles (Im expecting high boost and slight abuse) and spend $300-350 on a rebuilt 16g on this website. After all of this you'll be out $550 dollars.

Why not buy a quality turbo NOW ON THIS WEBSITE (i literally did a search for 16g turbos for sale) for $300 (small 16g which is just as good/more efficient up to 21psi as any other 16g) OR $350 on an evoIII 16g (if you want to go above 21 psi)

In all honesty you will save time money($200) and hassle by just getting a quality turbo now.It will last longer and you wont have to constantly worry about when it'll blow. (I have the same issue with my girlfriend)

Think about it, Mitsubishi put time and effort along with strict quality control into designing and building these turbos. CX racing along with other china turbo companies have little to no quality control and try to copy other companies turbos.

When the guys on here are talking bad about the china turbos its for good reason. We would all love quality turbos that cost only 200 dollars straight from the factory. The reality is that its not worth it.

What I'm basically getting at is,
GET THE REAL THING. ITS ONLY $100-$150 MORE
~Kevin

Thanks for the feedback because I was really dodging the cxracing turbo if possible but I was not sure if an evo 16g would mount up ( I assume it would) and I'm currently running 20 psi on my setup and I have supporting mods (I believe) for a bigger turbo. I got 650cc injectors a 255 walboro ECMlink full 3 in exhaust and such. I keep looking at 20g turbos but I hear spool time is longer? This is only my dd so I'm not trying to go all crazy with power 300-400hp is just fine for me. I found a evo 16g local so I'm probably gonna go with that. Thanks again guys! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back