The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

16g on a stock car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsubishimanic

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
clarkston, Washington
hi a quick question would a 16g be too much for a stock set up. i have a crack in the hot side of my turbo looking into a godspeed 16g. my car is a 92 tsi awd auto. opinions thanks

Don't get an ebay turbo. Save your money for an authentic MHI turbo. Or just replace your hotside :/

Used 16g..I think you can get the whole thing from our freelancers rebuilt for less.

OP- Get rid of the 1g auto manifold, while your in there..Just throw that thing away ASAP..

Pickup a used 16G for $250-$350 and toss it in. With everything else stock, it should run fine.

Ebay turbos are NOT GOOD.

Can i ask why? The 14b is a great little turbo, capable of 300whp.

Throwing a 16g on a stock car will make stock power but with more lag. Basically making you slower.

If you want a budget set up, grab a wideband, 2g maf, and a set of 550's. You'll be close to maxing out the 14b then, but you will still have some room to grow(like a 16g swap). Plus later on, you could always add a maft and some 650's, and have a great running little set up that wont empty your wallet.

Wideband - 200(new)
2g maf - 40
550's - 100

$340 for a nice little set up that will run.

Take the above advice and stick with your 14b by replacing the hot side (classifieds or contact jusmx141 or classifieds). If you decide to go with a 16g get the OEM MHI turbo and you will need to or rather should keep the boost pressure at the wastegate pressure until you have fuel management and larger injectors.

14b is an upgrade. He's auto which means he's on a 13g.
Buddy of mine ran his 1g into the low 13's on a 14b, 560's, and a 2g maf with a walbro. Pretty impressive for a stock turbo if you ask me.

I'll join the chorus of "use a 14b." I used a 16g on my 100% stock set up and blew the ringlands off the pistons. Totally my fault, but the temptation is too great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys forgetting autos have smaller injectors too?? 390s I believe? Honestly, I would say hell no if its "bone stock auto"... I ran a big 16 on mine when it was stockish, but I also had link, a wideband, and could moniter knock and duty cycle. It was the bigger 34mm wg flapper, I ported the hell out of it, and the lowest boost I could run was still 16 lbs, and IDC was still hitting 90% on the 450s. but on the other hand... if you do upgrade your fuel parts, to the rock bottom 450s, you CAN do it, and honestly if you have higher hp goals than the 14b it doesnt hurt to spend money once and not twice.

I had a 16g on my GSX with all stock and bolt ons (check out my profile), felt awesome! The boost lag isn't all that noticeable, plus the boost is so much more! I did the BCS mod too... I say do it, you wont regret it!

Hey Bud, Is there a diffrence between the auto and 5 speed manifolds in a 1g?

Im am going to be replacing the 13b to a 14b on a auto I picked up this weekend.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Yessir there is..Its pretty significant difference too.But yes for future reference 1g autos do have different manifold.I myself went 2g ported manifold..I got it shipped for 20 bux.

Also its 13g, not 13b..

I'm sure there is a post somewhere here on this site where I have posted a picture of the difference.

16g get the OEM MHI turbo and you will need to or rather should keep the boost pressure at the wastegate pressure until you have fuel management and larger injectors.
What I have in my Laser: a 4G63 Galant VR4 with the B16G with yellowtop 510's. But with a stock ECU tuned in for stock 450's. Thus, I pulled the 510's for the 450s to get back into my proper A/F ratio. I can tell this big turbo does have some noticable lag, but when it hits the 'sweet spot', it can scare me at times.

If I had an ECU tuned for the 510's, that 4G63 would be shooting out 235 HP on 92 fuel .. stock. But, right now, not interested, but maybe down the road when I want do to the mild engine management and put back in the 510's.

-DSM

Yessir there is..Its pretty significant difference too.But yes for future reference 1g autos do have different manifold.I myself went 2g ported manifold..I got it shipped for 20 bux.

Also its 13g, not 13b..

I'm sure there is a post somewhere here on this site where I have posted a picture of the difference.

All 1g manifolds will crack from heat. Upgrade to a evo3, ported 2g, or a FP. and since the FP's are on sale right now I'd go that route. Just my .02. As for upgrading the turbo find a small mhi 16g and you'll be fine. But def try to get a wideband or EGT so you can keep an eye on afr's.

I've got the same exact setup, and unless you just wanna sound cool saying you have a 16g to the non-turbo people, don't do it. You get stock boost levels with more lag. Mine came with it and the 16g + 390cc injectors is just trouble. Kinda wish the 13g was still in there. The car is basically useless before boost.

I've got the same exact setup, and unless you just wanna sound cool saying you have a 16g to the non-turbo people, don't do it. You get stock boost levels with more lag. Mine came with it and the 16g + 390cc injectors is just trouble. Kinda wish the 13g was still in there. The car is basically useless before boost.

Hey man..I have an extra 13g, if you want to downgrade.

Otherwise the 14b is a great compromise..

Hey guys, I just bought a block with EVO 9 pistons and 6 bolt rods shot peened with stock crank bored .040. You think a tune at 18 PSI with the MHI EVO III B16G would be fine? Also FMIC?

A 14B is a noticeable upgrade from a 13G even at similar boost levels. Find a 14B cheap somewhere.

Hey guys, I just bought a block with EVO 9 pistons and 6 bolt rods shot peened with stock crank bored .040. You think a tune at 18 PSI with the MHI EVO III B16G would be fine? Also FMIC?

Fine for what? If you have enough fuel and something to tune with I would run more than 18. This question has what to do with replacing this guy's turbo?

Last edited:

Start your own thread please..Not to hijack this one.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back