The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

16g oil restrictor ofh

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janesfam

Proven Member
Jul 9, 2021
Milwaukie, Oregon
As I’m getting ready to finish up the 16g phase of my build, I’m reading a lot about needing a restrictor on the oil feed line to the turbo if I’m going from the filter housing. Nothing I have read gives a link or a size for any restrictor. My buddy is telling me to just remove the port and slap a 3/8bspt plug bolt and run a 1g feed line from the head.

this 16g phase should should only be on the car till after Xmas. And the fp green should be set up with the ofh port. So I guess what I’m asking is this.

what size restrictor should I use on the oil feed line running from the oil filter housing to the 16g turbo?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't see anything in your profile on anything else you have done to the car, so first thing is.. do you still have the balance shafts on the car?
Not certain to be honest. The previous build thread is linked.

Not certain to be honest. The previous build thread is linked.
Was told they have been deleted

Ok, yeah if they have been removed then yeah you would have high oil pressure and would need the restrictor. That is unfortunately as much as I know really on it. I have no idea really on what size.

See this THREAD. It discusses what restrictors were being used. @JusMX141 , do you have any recommendations for this?

Thats what we are here for! :thumb:

I'll try. Does it matter where it goes?
@dsmp do you know where to pick up a restrictor that would work for this member?

I'll try. Does it matter where it goes?
@dsmp do you know where to pick up a restrictor that would work for this member?
I believe it goes direct on the turbo oil inlet and then the oil feed line bolts onto it. I’ve now read like five different posts on this topic and not a single one has a part number or a link or anything hahahahaha WTF!

It’s like a 12mm 1.25 to the 4an feed line or something

Not that this is what you are going to do, but I have used lead shot in a fitting and then drilled the size I wanted for an orifice in it. I will be on a search for a fitting though.

You can use the Red FP filter/restrictor. It’s recommended for all their journal bearing turbos, which are MHI based.

You can use the Red FP filter/restrictor. It’s recommended for all their journal bearing turbos, which are MHI based.

Thanks man, I was doing some more research on the subject and talking to a friend and he is using these in the images below, he inline filter sounds like a fair option but if it clogs then the turbo could potentially burn out…

Thanks man, I was doing some more research on the subject and talking to a friend and he is using these in the images below, he inline filter sounds like a fair option but if it clogs then the turbo could potentially burn out…

When I ran my Mhi small and evo3 16g I used a restrictor at the turbo as well as it being restricted on the center section. Not sure on the exact size but its very small for a journal and was indectical to the inlet size. When I pulled them to upgrade they were in great condition with no shaft play. My 71 I ran full unrestricted but I think it was being over oiled at times being I got no balance shafts. If I were you I would contact Fp they helped me many times including to set up the oiling for my new Fp/Xona 78-64! I use the purple restrictor now and another .20 inverted flare on the turbo. I also had to use particular fittings and oil feed line with a 90° off it. My oil is now filtered 3 times before going through the turbo bearings which to me is extra insurance for your turbo!

When I upgrade to the fp green after Xmas I plan on making some calls to fp

Aren’t you worried about clogging the filters and burning out the turbo?
I always run a turbo filter and come off the filtered port also.

For informations sake in case anyone comes across this thread, this is what Justin told me when I asked him about feeding an MHI 16G off the OFH.

FP told me to feed the EVO3 16G with their AN-4 line from the OFH. It been running that way for more years than I can remember now.

IIRC it was the BB Turbos at the time than needed flow restriction to survive. Did I misunderstand or misremember?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back