The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

16g boost creep 😩

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenthumb207

Probationary Member
Mar 23, 2020
Benton, Maine
So I have a 16g turbo and my car is completely stock how can I avoid boost creep? I've seen people saying port it and get a bigger flapper? My question is can't I get the tial 38mm recirculated wastegate and solve the issue that way?

If the car is stock it won't boost creep.
That being said in another thread you were sure the car didn't have a 16g. So is it stock otherwise?

I've read lot of threads on boost creep, I've never once herd a stock car won't creep I was under impression stock cars more likely to creep?

I have a full 3in exhaust that worry's me

I'm 1500 miles away from my car LOL and bought it before I left hadn't got a chance to go over it that's why wasn't sure turbo

Please fill out a profile.
And please stop saying it's stock when it isn't.
Yes it will creep. If it has a catalytic converter that might help. Porting wastegate will help. And yes an external wastegate would help also but if you run it on o2 housing it will still require work to the turbine housing wastegate hole. Bottom line the stock wstegate hole is too small to control boost.

Please fill out a profile.
And please stop saying it's stock when it isn't.
Yes it will creep. If it has a catalytic converter that might help. Porting wastegate will help. And yes an external wastegate would help also but if you run it on o2 housing it will still require work to the turbine housing wastegate hole. Bottom line the stock wstegate hole is too small to control boost.
Il still super new to this man cut me a little slack LOL I plan to full it out

So if I have waste gate ported do I need the flapper upgrade as well?

Il still super new to this man cut me a little slack LOL I plan to full it out

So if I have waste gate ported do I need the flapper upgrade as well?
Not always. The hole can still be enlarged some within the diameter of the stock flapper. If it creeps you will need more than that.

Sorry for being hard on you but when you tell us things and then immediately contradict yourself it's frustrating and difficult to help.

I've looked online I'm having a hard time finding a shop who will rebuild my 16g port it and upgrade the flapper any suggestions?

Boostin doesn't rebuild they port but dont offer flapper upgrade from my understanding

Forced performance rebuilds but doesn't port

Looking for someone to do it all in one shot

I've looked online I'm having a hard time finding a shop who will rebuild my 16g port it and upgrade the flapper any suggestions?

Boostin doesn't rebuild they port but dont offer flapper upgrade from my understanding

Forced performance rebuilds but doesn't port

Looking for someone to do it all in one shot
You need to find out if that is a genuine 16g or a knockoff. If it's a knockoff likely nobody will touch it. Once you figure that out call forced performance.

You need to find out if that is a genuine 16g or a knockoff. If it's a knockoff likely nobody will touch it. Once you figure that out call forced performance

It's confirmed genuine luckily haha. forced performance said they can rebuild but not port. I need a place who can rebuild and port and flapper upgrade instead of shipping it all over to different places

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ported the wastegate opening THREE times on my evo 16g turbo. Mild port to moderate to completely removing the seat and you can stuff two fingers in there... It's also coupled to chinese 40mm external wastegate; it still creeps. The only thing that somewhat kept it under control was the stock downpipe which was a 2.25" outlet that transitions to 2.5" stock. I've also ran the turbo dumping straight off the O2 without any downpipe (while doing the break-in) and it spooled like a twin scroll.

Also I'm still running the stock BCS so no other controllers or such. The nature of this turbo is it wants to creep up to the moon. And even if you somehow manage to "fix" the creep, it will just end up settling at 23-25 psi or so. So from personal experience, my advice is to get some way of tuning on your car to account for the increased boost and add the required amounts of fuel. Or install a 2" downpipe + cat and essentially reduce its power by 30-40%.

I don't buy it. If you can't control creep on an external wastegate something is wrong. Whats the diameter of the wg hole now?

I don't buy it. If you can't control creep on an external wastegate something is wrong. Whats the diameter of the wg hole now?
I don't want to hijack the guy's thread and I'll also be uploading pics of it as well as other things I did on my build journal very soon, but I assure you it's big.Two fingers in there easy; whole flapper lip is gone and then some, but I also made sure to leave enough meat on the housing walls as to not crack it.

What PSI does it creep to?

My solution is to tune the ECU with ECMlink running Speed Density, so that you use all the boost you can get.

Nothing wrong with boost if the engine is tuned for it.

What PSI does it creep to?

My solution is to tune the ECU with ECMlink running Speed Density, so that you use all the boost you can get.

Nothing wrong with boost if the engine is tuned for it.
Sorry I'm going to disagree there. You have no way of knowing what will happen as you have no control in a creep situation. Boost(airflow) can vary depending upon local ambient conditions if a proper control doesn't exist. It's the very reason a wastegate exists, otherwise just boost wherever all the time?? A 16g doesn't flow as much as something larger and even those are controlled via an external (and sometimes internal) gate. 16g for sure has been controlled via internal gates for a long time. Something else is wrong.

Op give us an update please. Kryndon if you want to discuss issues to your setup specifically please start a new thread.

Sorry I'm going to disagree there. You have no way of knowing what will happen as you have no control in a creep situation. Boost(airflow) can vary depending upon local ambient conditions if a proper control doesn't exist. It's the very reason a wastegate exists, otherwise just boost wherever all the time?? A 16g doesn't flow as much as something larger and even those are controlled via an external (and sometimes internal) gate. 16g for sure has been controlled via internal gates for a long time. Something else is wrong.
Yeah, the WG dumps exhaust pressure to hold the compressor spinning at a target, but how much creep on a 16g are we talking about. 2-5psi, or 7-10?

What I'm saying is a good SD map will be setup to take whatever boost you throw at it for a wide range of RPM. At least, that's the way I built mine. I tune as many points at as many pressures as I can - because - who knows what the weather will bring.

What makes you think there is anything different between a "good SD Tune" and a "good MAF Tune"? Neither have anything to do with the mechanics of boost creep.
I'm not comparing SD to MAF, although that is a worthy discussion. And you are correct, neither will control boost creep. Yes by all means fix your boost creep.

At the same time, you can save your engine by tuning the boost you have.

I remember on my old laser and talon I had full mods (fmic, 3" exhaust, cams etc) and I think the lowest I could go was 18psi? Don't know. That was 20y ago. I would think if you can't get below 22-23psi then something is wrong but it has been a while.

@pauleyman Paul, I want to admit my idiocy and just share that I have, in fact, fixed the creep on mine. Apparently I forgot that I had put a 2mm thick washer under the chinese spring inside the wastegate, which of course caused it to act as a much stiffer spring. After removing it and running directly off wastegate pressure, the 16G now goes up to 11 psi and stays there rock solid in all gears! I guess now I can finally run an MBC and have good control over boost.

So to OP, try to port the opening as much as you can and if that don't fix it, you can look at external wastegates (and buy an authentic one if you can afford it unlike me)!

Sometimes we make stupid mistakes which cause us to argue upon false presumptions. :coy:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back