The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

14B - what to look for

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalli-chris

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester_NY
I just pulled a 14B out of a 91 Laser. I'm gonna clean it up this weekend. What signs of wear should I look for? Anything that will tell me whether the turbo's bad or on the way out?
Any comments or suggestions? As, if the turbo is sound, I'm gonna swap it into my 2G Eclipse (97) and get rid of the T-too small.

Check for play in the turbine. It's okay if it can move side to side a little, but not in and out very much at all. Look for any mechanical damage on the exhaust and intake turbine. Check for any scraping on the intake and exhaust turbine housings. If either end have moved far enough to scrape the housings, it's probably not worth it. Make sure it spins freely, without any grittiness to it.

-Jesse

Also check for cracks in the Turbine housing inlet (get a flashlight)
Pull the acuator rod of the flapper & open it up & look for seriouse cracks
inside it . Some minor cracks are ok , (I've never seen a 14B without any) but make sure it isn't to bad . Then bust out with da dremel or die grinder & make you a little extra power!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back