The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

14b upgrade to 20g question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstdsmboi

Proven Member
Jul 31, 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
So I'm wondering will this be just as good as buying a 20g and also will I need the better fuel injectors and fuel pump also, I'm getting the one that cost 600$

14b upgraded to 20g- $525/ or $600 with billet compressor wheel
Fully upgraded rebuild kit
New td05h turbine shaft
New compressor wheel
Machined td05h compressor housing for 20g comp. wheel
Machined CHRA for 20g comp. wheel

Maybe you should read the upgrade path. As far as a good turbo, your getting a brand new turbo? So whats bad about that? Its larger, so if you want more power, then yes you should be increasing your injector size as well as pump.

However if you are running stock wg boost it wont matter. But whats the point of that then?

Turbo Lab of America can upgrade your 14b and rebuild it to a cast 20g for $240.

That's just the upgrade, he also needs a rebuild, a new shaft and a few other things. Turbo Labs cost is the about the same little less maybe. I have worked with Austin and he is a friend of mine (owner of Turbo Lab) and I would recommend him all day.

As far as the second post and the power... you will not see 400whp, he should be running at least a 7cm hot side, and he is going to need a lot to push it into the 400s. Is it impossible, no, but not easy. A Td06 20g at about 26psi CAN flow around 45lbs. Which in a quick reference can be estimated to about 450 CRANK horsepower. 45lb *10hp=450hp, where as 1lb = 10hp. (This is a basic generic rule of thumb, that is not to be taken literally.)

Point being, that he will have a very hard time hitting 400whp on a TDO5 housing, and no mention of a exhaust or other mods to support. Most of the guys even running in the 40lbs/min are running cams, wally 255 (if not dual pump), injectors 1200cc+, and many other mods.

That's why I said maybe it has been achieved not probable but possible. Also depends on which fuel you are running. They are several 16gs making 400whp on e85 if not close. I would go further in discussing prices but that's against the rules.

14B's are actually a poor candidate to upgrade to a 20G....the reason being you end up throwing away everything but the turbine wheel, wastegate actuator, and center housing (which needs machined).

Find a good deal on a used or blown Big 16G with compressor damage. It will already have a 7cm2 turbine housing and the center housing will be cut for a compressor with a 68mm exducer. Buy your favorite rebuild kit, and one of these: Turbo Compressor Housing TD05H Wheel 20g DSM 1g EVO 3 | eBay

Boom....new 20G for much less than $525.

I went from a 14b to a 20g it's definitely a different drive. I personally think the 14b is better for daily use but now that I have a second car. The 20 is fine for weekend fun.

14B's are actually a poor candidate to upgrade to a 20G....the reason being you end up throwing away everything but the turbine wheel, wastegate actuator, and center housing (which needs machined).

Find a good deal on a used or blown Big 16G with compressor damage. It will already have a 7cm2 turbine housing and the center housing will be cut for a compressor with a 68mm exducer. Buy your favorite rebuild kit, and one of these: Turbo Compressor Housing TD05H Wheel 20g DSM 1g EVO 3 | eBay

Wouldn't he need it balanced also?

The man has spoken. Thanks for your advice Justin.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back