The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

14b trouble on a 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92dsmgst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2008
Streetsboro, Ohio
I just put a 14b on my 2g talon. It was my buddys turbo, sold it to me, no shaft play or anything its a real nice turbo. Its ported with a custon o2 housing. I feel a power loss from the t25 to the 14b, which i shouldnt. Right now its only on 7-8 psi, but it should still pack more of a punch. Any ideas? it lags some what more than i would expect for a turbo of its size, but then again i installed a FMIC at the same time, so maybe its just from that and i dont realize it. No boost leaks that i could find...

7-8 psi doenst feel better on a bigger turbo. its still 7-8 psi get me?
and the 14b is a little bigger so it does lagg more therefore you feel less of a punch.
turn the boost up to 14 if you stock. You will feel a PUNCH!

Also, on my t25 it was a nice smooth spool, on this i have to almost try to spool it. I am also dissapointed that the turbo isnt loud like the t25. When my buddy had it on his car it was very loud. He had alot more work done to his car, but my car sounds like its N/A now.

Ha, you have to admit though the sound of that turbo spooling can put a smile on your face in any situation :) LOL, ordering a MBC now. i hope low boost is the only reason its acting the way it is. The part im not understanding is my T25 was at 16-18psi, but this turbo wont break 8 psi. Someone told me thats just how the 14b was, just curious if that is correct.

Actually, the t25 may outperform the 14b at 7-8psi due to it being more efficient at that boost level. There will be a slight more lag with the 14b as well. Obviously i'm going to recommend that you check for any boost leaks or pre-turbo exhaust leaks that may hinder spool-up.
If you run just off of wastegate spring pressure, you should get 10-12psi without a mbc. With a simple fuel pump rewire, your stock fuel system should be adequate to ~15-17psi, where the 14b will outshine the t25 by a good margin. I would recommend a logging device in the near future, too.

I couldnt find any boost leaks, and its a very steady 8psi so i dont beleive its leaking, but i am going to check tomorrow again. Could you tell me about this fuel pump rewire??

I feel a power loss from the t25 to the 14b, which i shouldnt. Right now its only on 7-8 psi, but it should still pack more of a punch. Any ideas?
Sure....bigger turbos are less efficient at lower boost levels than smaller turbos. Not only are they laggier, but they're literally moving a lesser volume of air even though the same pressure level is being achieved.

This is what really cracks my nuts about Honda guys thinking they're awesome for buying a $1300 GT35R setup and running 8psi....their car would literally make more power over a broader range if they used a T25 at the same boost level.

Could you tell me about this fuel pump rewire??

Check out vfaq.com. Basically it upgrades the size of your fuel pump wire and adds a relay to bring higher and more consistent voltage, which increases fuel pump output and the ability to handle a little more power. ~$30

There is definitely a difference when upgrading from the T25, like everyone said there will be lag but once it is spooled up it pulls a lot harder. The turbo definitely is more quiet, but I first noticed it quiet down when I installed all of my hard pipes so I wasn't really disappointed.

I think you should try turning up that boost too to at least 14psi, you should see an improvement.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back