The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

14 Psi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2002
Glenview_IL
14 PSI log. My question is does the RPM that you start at affect what your max timing advance is? On my last one I had 19 degrees advance but I was starting at 4000 RPMs and not 4700. My O2s show that I may be a little rich and the timing advance pretty smoothly, but I want about 18 degrees advance. Next time I'm going to try from about 3500 or 3000 and see how it goes.

Attachments

• 6-26 datalog.jpg
    6-26 datalog.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 145
Starting a log at 4700 rpm is generally not a good idea, especially not on a 2g. The ECU will advance timing over time, and if you start that high, then it may not have enough time to fully advance it as it wishes.

Always start right around where you start to get boost, which for you would be closer to 3000 rpm. That way, you will get consistient results.

....Kyle T.

You are definately starting too high. When checking for timing advance, here's what I do: Start the logger, and go slowly. Bring second gear to about 3,500 RPM's. Shift to third, and go WOT. Get off it at about 7,300 RPM's. Now, check your logs. I was seeing 21.5 degrees of advance at 7,250 RPM's, and an O2 reading of .94-.96 at the same RPM. This was at 17PSI at about 80 degrees, with 94 octane in the tank. The advance will seem a little low at the lower RPM's, but this is perfectly normal. The advance just before redline is the important one, because you are running your injectors, turbo, and motor at it's maximum. If the engine doesn't detect knock at that point, you're good. Also, don't take log readings unless you are at WOT. The computer advances the timing up to 38 degrees on my car with part throttle, and doesn't tell you squat. This is important to remember because if you're throttle cable is off, and you go WOT, the computer thinks it's just part throttle and still runs open loop.

Matt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back