The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 10k pot mod question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrokk

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
So after doing some research I've discovered i have a common 6bolt swap issue. From what I can see the fix is to wire in 10k pot into the map sensor input. My question is will this work if i don't have the sensor? Im still using the 1g intake mani and no map sensor.

I was under the impression that this "solution" was obsolete and that we've gotten a bit smarter (as clever as this option is) over the years. No?

I considered it for a time, as P0300 is not very much fun, but my higher-level peers were not very enthusiastic.

Ive seen good things on forums about this mod. Its essentially tricking the ecu to not scan for misfires. There are a couple factors that trigger the ecu to scan and one being the barometric pressure. Wiring in the potentioner (volume control knob) alows you to lower this pressure signal to the ecu keeping it lower than the scanning goal. So ecu never sees the baro preasure it needs to scan and therefore does not scan for misfires. No more random misfire.

Yes, that IS essentially what it does.

But what of the side effects?
If you've not got yourself a good tuning solution such as Link or an H8 setup, I don't think it'd be worth it to me to be just randomly be messing around with shit that will lean out the car and mess with the timing to bandaid something else I did to it.

There is a better way than the POT mod, it's just little pricey, but still cheaper than ECMLink...

Kiggly Racing makes a crank trigger sensor that plugs right into the existing crank angle sensor plug on the 2g engine harness. You still need the cam angle sensor behind the cam gear for this to work, however, you can wire in a 1g cam angle sensor if you have a 1G or 2gb head that has the sensor in on the left end of the intake cam.

For more info, read this short thread

But as PieEyedPiper said, Link or an H8 ECU is the way to go, (or EVO 8 ECU) I vote Link, simply for the nice smooth learning curve an endless support and the pretty GUI

Last edited:
I'm having the misfire issue as well, but my CEL has not turned off since the swap, I get the misfire at cruise and hi rpm, like everyone else, I have a 1g green top cas, on a 98 Gsx, with 2g head, will the pot mod still work? If not ill run Ceddymods....

The pot mod works with no ill effects you wire it into the baro wire on the ecu wire harnes think it's 85 pin but don't remember check rre for this will show what pin wire a 5 k knob from radio shack works solder everything. I did it a few years ago and it runs with nothing bad people say it makes your car run lean and other things it does not your car will run normal.

ok I'm just catching up hear. I just got the 97 gst it has the magnus motorsport swap with the 1g swap. The guy I got it from said he was having a misfire, I was thinking it was the 955cc injectors and the chipped eprom ecu ( ecm link v3 ). New to this hole thing after I got the misfire code I started doing a tune up new plugs wires and then did the coil pack and still the misfire. So started to look at forums and the magnus motorsport and misfire. I came across the magnus motorsport and the potentiometer, With my misfire I get a stumble at 4500rpms will this fix this problem? Any help would be grate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back