The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

10 year hibernation, this is a rebirth of a 92 talon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkalfop

10+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2012
Toronto, ON_Canada
This story of a guy who wanted a street machine with all of the technology. I've always loved cars and when I was 13 years old I started my first full time job, now it might seem crazy but I worked Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For three years I saved and saved. My father died when I was 3 and a half and I was a only child. My mom was a hairdresser and immigrated to Canada when she was young no education so I had to buy most of my stuff, but when I bought my first car I was ready except for the magical thing called insurance. I bought a 1980 z28 with a big 350 v8 that made around 165 hp and that is crank power. I was 16 years old and my mom stepped up and paid the 2500 dollar a year quote. Every other cent went to fixing it up. I was hit by a drunk driver and the car was written off. I went through many other projects. Car like a vw convertible, Honda civic, then I bought a 1986 Buick grand national and fell in love with turbos. Three years and lots of money later I ran 12.60's and was happy. I was given a offer for my car and I was unable to refuse. I went to university and I still worked. After a while I got the bug and wanted a street car. This is when my best friend bought a 1989 Toyota celica gt4 awd. I was hooked, awd and turbo this was a combination that I knew was the future of street racing. Small car big horse power and awd is key for cars here in
Canada. My mission was super car performance with a shoe string budget. My first choice was a 90 and up Toyota celica gt4, but they were in limited number and almost none her in Canada. Then I bought a 1990 black and grey eagle talon and fell in love. I bought the magazine "Turbo" had a subscription. Doing small stuff to it and loved driving this car wanted more power. I had heard that 92 talons are a better platform for power I bought a teal green 92 talon. I am in process to add pics.

Very touching story. Glad to hear you are still doing well through some tough times.:) Hopefully everything continues to work out well with you. :pray: Good luck with the car and may all your dsm dreams come true. :thumb:

This story of a guy who wanted a street machine with all of the technology. I've always loved cars and when I was 13 years old I started my first full time job, now it might seem crazy but I worked Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For three years I saved and saved. My father died when I was 3 and a half and I was a only child. My mom was a hairdresser and immigrated to Canada when she was young no education so I had to buy most of my stuff, but when I bought my first car I was ready except for the magical thing called insurance. I bought a 1980 z28 with a big 350 v8 that made around 165 hp and that is crank power. I was 16 years old and my mom stepped up and paid the 2500 dollar a year quote. Every other cent went to fixing it up. I was hit by a drunk driver and the car was written off. I went through many other projects. Car like a vw convertible, Honda civic, then I bought a 1986 Buick grand national and fell in love with turbos. Three years and lots of money later I ran 12.60's and was happy. I was given a offer for my car and I was unable to refuse. I went to university and I still worked. After a while I got the bug and wanted a street car. This is when my best friend bought a 1989 Toyota celica gt4 awd. I was hooked, awd and turbo this was a combination that I knew was the future of street racing. Small car big horse power and awd is key for cars here in
Canada. My mission was super car performance with a shoe string budget. My first choice was a 90 and up Toyota celica gt4, but they were in limited number and almost none her in Canada. Then I bought a 1990 black and grey eagle talon and fell in love. I bought the magazine "Turbo" had a subscription. Doing small stuff to it and loved driving this car wanted more power. I had heard that 92 talons are a better platform for power I bought a teal green 92 talon. I am in process to add pics.

I enjoyed the story, except for the part in bold.

Thanks a lot fellow DSMers. I would like to note that being 41 and a teacher, I don't condon street racing. I was young and not to sound old, things were different. I am a track guy but do get groceries from time to time. I always practice safe driving. Here in Toronto from the mid 90's to present there has been a tremendous increase of fatalities concerning street stupidity, mostly in the Honda civic world with kids racing at every light, with cars that weren't made for high speed manuvouring. Lots of mom's jogging getting killed by these so called street racers with there dads car losing control. Anything above 50 km or 31 miles an hour over the speed limit is automatic suspension then a charge of stunt driving is laid which is criminal or a felony in the U.S. Also big fine and immediate loss of the car for 30 days and the money to get your car out of the pound and all costs incurred. My love is the driving not the heads up street racing. I have no need to beat anyone or for anyone to goat me into a race outside the track. Sorry jon91tsi I hope I clarified that point. I really appricate this forum and only want to make friends and to share my own story. As you all know that its the love of cars that we are here for and I would never try to discredit this amazing medium to share ideas between hobbyists. I don't drink much and have no other vices except the love of cars. My wife lets me have a small budget every year for the car and as we know "every boy needs a toy". I hope I will be able to let my kids enjoy my interests and I think this car will be the only thing they might get when I leave this world. Pictures coming soon. Of the car not my death. Thanks

Thanks a lot fellow DSMers. I would like to note that being 41 and a teacher, I don't condon street racing. I was young and not to sound old, things were different. I am a track guy but do get groceries from time to time. I always practice safe driving. Here in Toronto from the mid 90's to present there has been a tremendous increase of fatalities concerning street stupidity, mostly in the Honda civic world with kids racing at every light, with cars that weren't made for high speed manuvouring. Lots of mom's jogging getting killed by these so called street racers with there dads car losing control. Anything above 50 km or 31 miles an hour over the speed limit is automatic suspension then a charge of stunt driving is laid which is criminal or a felony in the U.S. Also big fine and immediate loss of the car for 30 days and the money to get your car out of the pound and all costs incurred. My love is the driving not the heads up street racing. I have no need to beat anyone or for anyone to goat me into a race outside the track. Sorry jon91tsi I hope I clarified that point. I really appricate this forum and only want to make friends and to share my own story. As you all know that its the love of cars that we are here for and I would never try to discredit this amazing medium to share ideas between hobbyists. I don't drink much and have no other vices except the love of cars. My wife lets me have a small budget every year for the car and as we know "every boy needs a toy". I hope I will be able to let my kids enjoy my interests and I think this car will be the only thing they might get when I leave this world. Pictures coming soon. Of the car not my death. Thanks

Thanks, just wanted some clarification for the younger folks on these forums.:thumb:

Hi again guys and ladies if there any. I have found some pics to add and begin the telling the story that has many highs and all of us know lts of lows. I'm going to try to post pics. Here we go, after selling my 1990 Honda crx si, which I loved. Those Hondas are nice reliable and being young girls loved it calling it quite. Now I did some work, but not anything that made it fast. I put a genie stainless steel exhaust and full suspension. The car was quick not fast, but wanted some thing I could enjoy just driving it everyday. One of my buddies offered me his 1990 eagle talon tsi awd black and grey. Here is the only pic I have of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 121
Please tell me you are going with a cool Canadian project name like "Project ZED", "The Seal Clubber", "Horse Power and Maple Syrup", or other totally hilarious Canadian project names.

Please tell me you are going with a cool Canadian project name like "Project ZED", "The Seal Clubber", "Horse Power and Maple Syrup", or other totally hilarious Canadian project names.

This made me LOL.

I love those teal DSM's almost as much as I love the panda I own, deffinately wouldn't mind picking one up

Well guys maybe we can call it project "French Canadian turbo charged teal Lonnie feet" instead of eagle talon? I'm up for renaming the build, let me know if you have any ideas? Looking for more power a friend offered me his 92 teal talon. Car needed a alternator like all talons need, but offered it to me for a great price. The car had a 16 g turbo and exhaust and I did some minor mods. Car drove nice but again always looking for more power I decided to try to build a super car. I was in university in 1998 getting my BSc in bio chem. that October my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Being the only child and my father had died in 1977 I was the one who had to leave school and I got a job as a elevator mechanic and worked nights to be able to take my mom to chemo three times a week. Here's a pic of the car.

My mom was a hairdresser and didn't make tons of money, but now working as a elevator apprentice I was making great money and wanted to see if I could build a car to compete with GT cars (300zx twin turbos, mustangs and toyota supra twin turbos) that some of my friends had. I knew I would need power but I also wanted a car I could drive all year round. The list of upgrades were, HKS boost controller, HKS turbo timer, KYB adjustable struts and ebach springs, big fuel pump. I did some work at my friends shop but in 1998 there wasn't the amount of parts that are available today and the Internet was still in its infancy. When I had a Buick grand national in the early 90's I met a guy named Marco and he had a shop called Magnus just north of the city so I made a trip to see him. Marco built me a FMIC with all the piping and AEM big brake kit with 11.5 inch two piece rotors and upgrade two piston callipers. At that time Marco welded tanks on a core not the complete kits they have ready now. Wow I sound old! I'm back tracking my build because I want to share my ups and downs with DSM's. with all the work I had done I was now running 17 psi and had a pretty fast car. Mustangs and turbo Hondas were no match. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 101
Working nights and taking care of my mom, I was able to focus on my super car build to keep my mind off of her cancer. So I added a new fluiddyne rad, that was needed because of the lack of air because of the FmIC. This still didn't stop the temp from going directly to the middle or 12 o'clock centre. I knew I needed to do something else so I went to my moms boyfriends shop and made a air dam which was directly below the bottom rad support which should direct air up and into the rad and that worked. At this time the car felt amazing powerful and was pretty reliable except for blowing off piping or alternators and batteries. I think you know what I'm thinking; that's right more power! What should I do know? Well I was looking at some local DSM's and I stumbled across another 92 talon lower miles or kms if your using the metric system. This car had cams, apex AFC, Centreforce dual friction clutch and aluminum flywheel, Koni adjustable struts and ebach springs, greedy boost controller, 550cc injectors, 16g and a FMIC. Now remember in 2002, this car was pretty fast, before all the cheap Chinese eBay parts so for 6 grand I thought it was a steal. The plan was buy the car and swap all the parts from my old talon to this new talon. After that ill get my moms boyfriend to do safety and emissions, transfer names and sell the talon that was the donor car. By the way the new talon was the exact same teal green colour with same tan leather. Here are two picks. I was pumped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 112
Cheers to being a teacher and loving DSM's! My students always ask me..."when are you bringing your fast car to school?" Little do they know that its a 16g untuned car haha.

Those are two pretty twins. Can't let one go...thats like selling one of your two twin children.

The plan was to swap all the goodies from my original car to the new car. So I switched my AEM 11.5 inch rotors and two piston callipers 16g and my wheels and rubber changed the stock lenses to the new car and got rid of the blacked out versions that I hate. This was going to be a quick change over and the new car gets me closer to my poor mans super car. Well nothing goes to plan. In the middle of this exchange my mother lost her hearing due to cancer spreading to her brain as she battled for 4 plus years. My mothers boyfriend owned a repair shop that my mom funded with her credit cards so I left the cars and focused on my mother. After a month she passed and still mourning my moms death my mothers boyfriend informed me on sunday that my new car that had been at the shop after the parts exchange was left outside the previous Friday night and it was broken into, I was devastated and went to the shop. The car was broken into by the stupidest thieves ever. They tried to pry the door open and only did body damage, finally they broke the window (see pic). I noticed that the car was wet and asked why the car was wet he responded that by mistake they left the car outside again on Saturday night where it rained and only after the same thieves had another night to inflict more damage!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 94
This is a reply to louieawdtsi. That's pretty funny because my kids have been asking me to bring my car because I talk about it when dictating spelling test and using my talon when making sentences with words like, "Mr. K's talon tsi is ridiculously fast!" "The word is ridiculous." I know we are supposed to model about saving the environment but I love my talon and cars and I hope I can spark new mechanics because we can always need people to fix our technology and you can make a boat load of it if your good. Thanks for reading people on this forum are awesome and I can't say enough about how this form of communication has changed the tuner world for the good. Well except for the horrible spelling and punctuation that texting has done to the youth of this generation.

This build continues.

:hmm: I bet you're an English teacher... I grew up the same way. I was all about torquey v8's had an 85 vette. I learned fast that you need money to make those go fast. (cams header etc... only returns so much). Good luck.

PS, Buy some security cameras or even some fake ones for your house. Also install a blinking LED on your dash or something.

You need to rid yourself of that pesky scum.

Hey guys and girls if there are any. It's been a little while but it's time to continue the build. Well this is when I tell you that because of depression and grieving for the loss of my mothers battle with cancer I had to put aside the car and worry about real things like paying the mortgage. The car sat outside for 4 years and then I made room in the garage and put it away for another 5 years. During that time I saved money and started collecting the nessesary parts to fix the damage done from the vandiisuim. My buddy Marco hooked me up with the nessesary parts which included; super AFC, gauges, dash components and all small stuff like heating and ac nobs and switches(most salvaged from my local wreckers). Also during this time I met my future wife and she made me go back to school. I graduated York university with a double major math history along with my education degree in 2011 and got married in 2009. Women can either bring you up or take you down. Good news my wife believed in me and I started making money teaching math. My wife knew I loved cars and gave me the go ahead to do something with my car. I fixed the body damage and replaced electrical needed to the interior and piggy back computer and still the car was not running right and the car smoked everytime I started her up till I gave her a good amount of boost then didn't smoke, till it cooled again. 2012 I reached the end of my ability to make anymore progress on the car. I couldn't ask for anymore favours from friends so I called Marco from Magnus Fabricaction here in Toronto and he said bring it over and real progress began. My next post will be the ups and downs of cars that sit for a long time and some more recent pics will be posted. Stay tuned

Sweet car thinking of painting mine oem color of teal next spring, a super rare color, on a even more rare 1gb.

Thanks guys and unfortunely, I'm a dyslexic math teacher so I forget to break it into paragraphs. Car is in storage and waiting for my brother in law to bring me oz racing rims that I got from this site. This forum is an amazing thing, I can't believe the power we can get out of these cars and parts the skies the limit even on a budget.

Car has been running all summer and still have two problems one with setting up the spec1 profec greddy boost controller with a replacement solenoid. The worst is a hesitation I have at cruising in third at between 2500 to 4000 rpm which I think it might be dirty injector. I have replaced fuel filter and coil pack.

Hey guys, well not having any luck moving forward on my build. Car was having a problem with charging and with ac on draining the battery and alternator unable to keep the volts up so I changed it. I'm frustrated and stressed out. Still have the hesitation but it's everywhere on the rpm range when I'm at idle while driving, it's gotten worst after replacing the alternator. Think the belt is slipping. Car is stalling out with ac on and not a fun car anymore. Maybe the coil I thought maybe the fuel filter. I'm very sad and wish someone could help me. My car and not bragging is the cleanest 1g talon in Toronto and surrounding area, zero rust been covered and in a garage since I have owned it. All it want is to have the summer to drive and go to the track. I'll settle for daily driver. Help help help. Unfortunately Marco from Magnus is too busy to help and I see another summer passing by. If you can help please message me. What should I do first?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back