The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

10 Seconds On Straight Pump Gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, touchy folks here. I think this whole "discussion" could be summed up pretty easily in a few non-argumentative statements:
  • The MAF Translator has a tendancy to throw off measured airflow readings.
  • When the translator is actively used in it's piggyback role and modifies airflow values on their way to the ECU, logged airflow measurements in DSMLink are pretty much useless as a measuring stick.
  • His car made a ten-second pass on a 3052, and put down an honest 521 whp on a Dynapack dyno.
  • Dynapack dynos traditionally return low measurements, thus it can be assumed he made at least a bit more power than that.
  • 521whp correlates nicely with the rated output of the turbo: 52lbs/min.
  • His claim is that this pass was made on 93 octane pump gas, without any additional enrichment.
  • His car has had substantial improvements made to it since that 10-second pass; thus, it is reasonable to assume at least some improvement in horsepower can be/has been achieved.
  • Turbos can be pushed well beyond their "efficiency range" and continue to make power.
  • His car is currently traction-limited, which explains the low traps and ETs.
  • He, like many other "private" individuals, has done all of this without a shop to promote or provide backing.
  • Some folks are unwilling to accept that the average person in their garage can occasionally pull off a surprising result, especially if that person appears out of nowhere or doesn't live on their favorite message board all day.
Did I summarize the main interesting points well enough?

Yeesh. How old are you people, anyway? This discussion reminds me of a thread regarding a certain T25-powered car with a lot of laughing gas that everyone wanted to flex their keyboard muscles about. Grow up, ask intelligent questions, and make up your mind about whether or not you believe the results. But yelling at people on the Internet doesn't make you smarter, it just makes you louder.

logic said:
Did I summarize the main interesting points well enough?
Don't forget he also has Nate (SBRs ex-tuner now running his own Tuning Shop and a 700+ WHP DSM) on board to personally tune his setup :thumb:

But seriously, I can see that alot of this seems unbelievable (it sure did to me early on), but he's been open about all work done, posted logs, tuning setup and video to substantiate his claims.

So believe it yourself or not, ask questions if not clear (after actually reading thru this thread) just do so in appropriate form devoid of personal attacts :dsm:

Airflow numbers from when the 10.8 was run were pulled out of the logs by people on the DSMLink forums, I believe it may have actually been Dave Mertz. As far as this time around, the MAF-T is not a device of wizardry. Airflow can be calculated out pretty simply. But I am honestly done speaking about the car to a whole bunch of people that have this type of response. To all the people that actually support pushing the boundaries in the DSM world, thanks.

And WikedSicc: Thanks, we will continue on :).

You guys are amazing. Now you don't believe its on pump? I was their at the track and walked beside that car in the pits and saw, heard, and stood by it as it was running. It doesen't reek of race gas like my car does. I mean, he's only pullin 128mph traps but driving it well. Its only 128mph, you guys talk about it like that is stupid fast or something. My 126 very close to 127mph car is boooooooooooring. I've seen the looks and snide comments when I tell people I'm on stock cams so I can kinda see where nate and andy are coming from. Its hard to have people calling you a liar when your more truthful than most.

The thing is its a nicely prepped car, and nate (while i've been in the dsm game longer probably) has been around enough sucessful dsm's to know what it takes.

WikedSicc said:
Well since you were unable to understand my point, I guess I could spell it out for you.

THE STORY KEEPS CHANGING

How is asking for a gas can of 94octane "Pump" (avail at all Sunocos out here in the East) from you to run a race you asked him to run to prove to you that a 10sec run on pump is possible a "changed story" :confused:

Or are you arguing that this 1 octane point (realizing pump ratings are minimum values not actual) might be the secret behind his stellar performance?

Or are you preparing excuses for when Andrew does run 10sec at the Shootout on pump so you don't look like an whining assclown when he says "told you so".

The thread title is "10 Secs on Straight Pump Gas" and if Andrew pulls a repeat at the Shootout in front of hundreds of his peers (in hot August to boot).. well.. better stock up on absorbant pads :dsm:

Ok. I'm closing this thread until I can make some sense of it and clean it up. Or I'll just keep it closed until someone can tell me what it will take for people to back off.

boostedinaz said:
Just like the other thread of a local to me that runs low 11's on a T25 and everyone called BS. Then then looked dumb as #### when they were proven wrong, even though they all "KNEW" it was immposible.

This is probably the best example I can think of as well.

The title of this thread is
"10 Seconds On Straight Pump Gas"

it's been achieved and it's on video and there are plenty of people who were at the track when this occurred. Now I cleaned up a bunch of shit but I'm not reopening the thread. There isn't really anything else to talk about that hasn't been beaten to death over the last 10+ pages. If you want to believe it fine. If you don't, fine. See the car in person if you are so covinced it's not possible. This is a simple case of jealousy in most of the posts I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back