The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1 Wire GM Alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pansaias

Probationary Member
Nov 13, 2011
sacramento, California
I've searched for this, but haven't had any luck finding it.
Anyone who has done a relocation for their alternator, is one of these one wire alternators ok? Someone else had recommended it, they said it all worked fine, but all the post I see on tuners use the stock pigtails, or somehow re-wire their alternator. The person who ran the one wire just hooked up a two gauge wire from the alternator to the battery and called it done.
Also has anyone actually done their relocation with the block in the car?

http://www.motorcityreman.com/high-amp-alternators-1-wire-universal-mount-gm.html

http://www.orldsm.com/showthread.php?13969-Saturn-160AMP-alternator-installed-with-GREAT-RESULTS!

I did my relocation with the block in the car. but i had the whole top end off cause i was doin headgasket and studs so i had alot more room. gettin the alternator back there with everything still in there will b the only real difficult part imo. I had to replace the aluminum bracket with the steel one with everything in the car and it only took like 15-20 min so shouldnt be too bad after u get the alternator down in there.

I did my relocation with the block in the car. but i had the whole top end off cause i was doin headgasket and studs so i had alot more room. gettin the alternator back there with everything still in there will b the only real difficult part imo. I had to replace the aluminum bracket with the steel one with everything in the car and it only took like 15-20 min so shouldnt be too bad after u get the alternator down in there.

Sweet, I am about to do my head gasket, so I might as well do this too.
What alternator are you using?

I have motorcityreman 1 wire alt swap, works nicely I have it in the stock location so I did some griding.
When you put yours in, did you just get the other wiring tucked somewhere.
I'm sorry, just trying to prepare everything I might need.
Did you run your own cable, or did you use the stock alternator?
Did you go straight to battery with an inline fuse? or did you go to fuse block and used the stock alt fuse?
Thank you for your help guys. appreciate it.

When you put yours in, did you just get the other wiring tucked somewhere.
I'm sorry, just trying to prepare everything I might need.
Did you run your own cable, or did you use the stock alternator?
Did you go straight to battery with an inline fuse? or did you go to fuse block and used the stock alt fuse?
Thank you for your help guys. appreciate it.

run a new wire if you can like 4 or 8 gauge i ran 4 gauge with a inline fuse and i have never had issues also make sure you have good grounds

I run my Saturn alt in the stock location with new wire to the fuse box then to the battery. I also added an extra ground. One from the alt to to brake booster(this is where my coil pack is), then from there to the battery. I have 4 or 5 total grounds in my car.

I also used two 8 gauge wires for the power. I see 13.8v-14.2v

What size fuse did you use for the inline fuse?

Also has anyone in here had charging problems at high Rpms with one of these. Mine cuts out at 7500 rpm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back