The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1 tooth off on crank bent valves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBDdsmer610

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2006
easton, Pennsylvania
Ok so my car started making a knocking noise from 2100rpms to like 3100 i took everything apart and realized the timming was off one tooth on the crank. so im guessing my tensinor failed. Do you guys think i bent any valves? and the car still starts right up

Ok so my car started making a knocking noise from 2100rpms to like 3100 i took everything apart and realized the timming was off one tooth on the crank. so im guessing my tensinor failed. Do you guys think i bent any valves? and the car still starts right up

How does it run? My son has a rebuilt 6-bolt in his 1990 TSi, gets the exact same sound. Only issue is that knock that you are seeing. IF it is running fine, with no loss in power and such, then you should be OK. Off by 1 tooth should not be enough to bend valves. Now, 2 or 3 at the crank could be damaging.

A compression test would tell you for sure, but if you bent any valves, the noise would always be there, and you would run like poo.

When I bought mine the timing was one tooth off on the exhaust cam and the car was running just fine. Now 1 tooth on the crank is equal to 2 theeth on camshafts but I think it should still be OK.

Yea when i first noticed the sound it ran like crap but you have to think the knock sensor will pick it up and tell the engine NO!!!!!

Only way to know is to tear it apart, set the timing properly, then do a compression test. The fact that it still turns over means your head can be saved if you stop screwing with it now, which reduces the costs fairly substantially.

The ECU can't compensate for cam timing, only ignition and injector timing.

Well hope i didnt bend any valves i mean there was a sound like i said but i guess we will see...................and heres a pic of the timming off
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wow that looks like enough to bend valves, do a compression test, tensioner fails not good, ive seen many timing issues. Do a test and pray for the best.

It doesnt take much, all the timing marks should line up, when i did my first one my exhaust cam was off by a tooth. The car still ran for some time, but it looks a bit much, there isnt much room for error that would explain a problem for sure do a test then let us know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back