The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1 more problem, quick help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
K guys, so i got my 20g in finally, now my new problem. Coolant is leaking inside my cabin. So i checked the line running to the firewall. I dont see anything wrong with it.

No leaks in the engine (thought it might be running in, well its not) So i think a line came disconnected at the heater core once i pulled the water pipe out.

Does the dash need to come out? I think that i need to get to the heater core to get to that line, but im not sure.

Need to figure this out today.

Your heater core is leaking if you have coolant inside. Its basically a mini radiator.

^^ I understand that. And im sure the line just came disconnected, like i said i had to pull the water pipe off the front of my block. Which has a hose attached running to the firewall (for the heater core). WELL i never had a leak before, and im assuming that when i pulled the line, it must have pulled a line as well in the cabin.

IM NOT REMOVING THE HEATER CORE. What i need to no is it possible to re-tighten the line without removing the dash?

You can access the line from the engine bay. The pipes for the heater core come through the fire wall and have the hoses attached to them in the engine bay.

That said, it's sealed where the pipes pass through so if there is coolant in the cabin then the core is likely shot.

^^ It never leaked before... just now after undoing a line.

I understand about the line in the engine bay. I had to disconnect it to get it off my water pipe.

So to get this right, it is a hard line all the way to the firewall? No other lines that could have come loose in the dash? Because i have already checked my line at the firewall and its attached. Part of my piece was bent a little (the end sticking out of the firewall), so im wondering if that caused it to not seal fully.

It never leaked before. The car has just sat for 6 months, i drove it home for 1 day and no leak, just NOW after messing with that line, so i have a hard time believe that the core is shot.

If so, looks like it will be a very cold winter and i will just bypass for the temp time.

There are no rubber lines inside the car itself, the two hardlines coming through the firewall go directly into your heater core. If its leaking inside the car then the heater core itself is leaking and will need to be replaced and to get to it the entire dash has to comeout.
Your lucky, my heater core physically BLEW UP inside the cabin overnight randomly so I had about a gallon of coolant under the passenger seat. I didn't feel like pulling my dash so I removed the rubber coolant lines going to the heater core at the firewall and wrapped them. Its a temporary fix but if you can't find a heater core and you don't want to keep leaking coolant in your car its a work around for it. It gets cold in Michigan so be sure to toss a spare blanket or two in the backseat... :thumb:

:dsm:

What do you mean "wrap them". I need to fix this asap. Once i get home i am pulling the one line and checking. I kind of "bent it" with the pliers when i was trying to get the hose off, so im HOPING! That ### i bent the fitting, the line isnt full setting right and causing the leak.

Just seems odd now all of a sudden it would happen. When a couple days ago it was fine.

i think he means just getting a barb fitting and hooking the two lines together just to bypass the heater core. autozone has them i know because i had to do this with one of my old cars.

Im just wondering how cold it really is gonna get... i mean my car never really "heated" me anyways. I already have my AC pulled also LOL. I think this will be the last year it will be a DD. Gonna buy a dirty cheap neon or something else after this winter.

Im just wondering how cold it really is gonna get... i mean my car never really "heated" me anyways. I already have my AC pulled also LOL. I think this will be the last year it will be a DD. Gonna buy a dirty cheap neon or something else after this winter.

really cold. i had mine go out in dodge truck one winter and i live in louisiana. it was horrible i had two blanket and was still cold. you also will not have defrost. they are a bit** to change. i do most all my own work but still would bring to a shop to do heater core. some are worst than other though. good luck

also there is no way to judge when they go. one min there fine the next car is full of water. just the nature of the beast

It will be as cold as it gets in the winter. Being from the north also, I know it gets REALLY cold. I had to drive a car around with a shot heater core in my old DD a few years back, and it sucks ass. You can't defrost your windows, and if you scrape them they just keep fogging back up. When you removed your coolant pipe to the heater corem you likely cracked the line to the core itslef. They are very thin and easy to break. Removing the dash really isn't as hard as you think. LiquidX has a VERY helpful write-up about it on here. It only takes a few hours to remove and reinstall if it is your first time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back