The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

#1 cylinder not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLOHS7844

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin
I just replaced the head gasket and went to start it up and it sounds very rough. Thats expected with the lifters being bled but it won't stay running with throttle. My egt isn't even registering a temperature (its in the runner for cylinder 1) and my wideband isn't registering either (I assume because its too lean). Whats the standard procedure for diagnosing this?

On a side note my oil pressure gauge isn't registering a pressure. It goes from 0-100 on start up like it should but it drops down to 0 when running. Is it just hooked up wrong?

Cylinder was running just fine before this so I doubt that its the compression. maybe a lack of fuel? the fuel light is one right now because its so low on gas.

It also now only runs for 5 seconds then shuts off. its very consistent in the way it runs then shuts off. i'm thinking its just running out of gas

Number one make sure you actually have oil pressure, address that first.

Second, you need to check for the presence of spark and fuel, and take it from there.

Check to make sure all your fuel injector wires are clean and fully connected. I would also seriously look into a compression test.

Fix your oil pressure problem first.

How do you know that it's the #1 cylinder? My bet is you have your timing off and it's causing the car to run rough. I only say that because you just did your timing. It'd be odd for an issue to pop up like that from you putting on a headgasket unless you did something to cause it. Like forgot to plug something in. But still, I would double check your timing.

The runner for cylinder 1 wasn't even warm. And there were metal shavings in by the exhaust valves from a machinist redrilling a stud. I didn't notice till the head was already on and I got as much out as I could and I'm hoping the rest will come out while idling. Theres no way it would cause low compression already.

Many of my injector wires were exposed and almost touching so I put electrical tape around them. I don't think they are the issue though. I smelled gas on that cylinders spark plug.

Also how would I just timing without removing all the pulleys and the lower timing cover?

And for some reason im missing a tranny bolt and thats making my starter grind horribly. somewhat unrelated though

Well, I would go ahead and check the compression now that you mention the shavings.

However, still double check your timing. You will have to pull the covers to do it correctly and be 100% about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My MBC wasn't even hooked up LOL bit of a vacuum leak? LOL

Anyway my last starter was grinding horribly and I found the bolts were loose. I took it out and wrecked it while it was out of the car (don't ask) and got another one. It was doing ok for maybe a total of 10-12 seconds of cranking (not all at once) but now its grinding again. Starter bolts aren't loose this time. I did notice I was missing a tranny bolt so could that cause that? I have no idea why the bolt is gone and the starter bolts were loose

You need to go over all of the work you did since it seems its incomplete. It doesn't take much to mess the timing up so make sure its right. Do a compression check and I would stop cranking your motor till you verify your timing and compression are good.

The runner for cylinder 1 wasn't even warm. And there were metal shavings in by the exhaust valves from a machinist redrilling a stud. I didn't notice till the head was already on and I got as much out as I could and I'm hoping the rest will come out while idling. Theres no way it would cause low compression already.

But if you somehow screwed up the head gasket during install your compression could be down.

Your trying to run a car with no gas? I think the problem is obvious.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back