The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1.8L To A 2.0 TURBO

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W.W.W.

Probationary Member
Oct 2, 2002
Garberville_Cali
hi i have a question on what to do motor wise in my car. i have a 1991 plymouth laser that is getting all tricked out but i need help on a motor problem.when i first got the car it had a 1.8 liter engine, but it was blown.it's for sale too.anyways, it has no engine it right now, so i want to now if a 2.0 Turbo Engine will work with out having to change a lot of things and if it does what things will i have to get. please help me out with this. thank you.

I also have a 1.8, and I believe that the 2.0 will work. im not sure about the motor mounts though. I know the drivetrain is not the same? anyone who knows for absolute sure, would be great cause im kinda wondering about that to.(not that i'd do it) im happy with my 1.8:|

you can do it. a friend of mine just got finished swapping out his 1.8 for a 2.0t. took him 2 days to do the swap. he had eveyrhting needed though but its possible. i have another friend swapping out his 2.0 nt for the 2.0 t (1g dsms i mean)

well do any of you know what i'll need to get to do the swap

for this swap the entire front harness is by far the cheapest and most complete way to get the job done.

also keep in mind that the redline's between the two engines are different so you'd need a different ecu for your transmission if your current car happens to be an automatic.

Originally posted by Eagle 5
you can do it. a friend of mine just got finished swapping out his 1.8 for a 2.0t. took him 2 days to do the swap. he had eveyrhting needed though but its possible. i have another friend swapping out his 2.0 nt for the 2.0 t (1g dsms i mean)

ok i want to change the 1.8 to a turbo 2.0... what do i need.. engine transmission ecu.. wiring harness... anythign else.. and would the turbo fit into the engine bay of the 1.8? ... cause i wanna know if its possible and how easy it would be to do...

Originally posted by ravindragon19

ok i want to change the 1.8 to a turbo 2.0... what do i need.. engine transmission ecu.. wiring harness... anythign else.. and would the turbo fit into the engine bay of the 1.8? ... cause i wanna know if its possible and how easy it would be to do...

yes it will fit,i think you may need to change the bottom crossmember,because it was different on 1.8s. you're gonna need the axles to the tranny. basically you need the whole running engine assembly and you just drop it in your car. you're gonna need the entire fuel system aswell.

It is cheaper to buy a JDM engine, have 8:1 JE pistons made for it with racing rings, then have it turbocharged. Less stress also. Swaps are really losing popularity, it just seems like it isn't even worth it.

Originally posted by fast1.8sohcDSM
It is cheaper to buy a JDM engine, have 8:1 JE pistons made for it with racing rings, then have it turbocharged. Less stress also. Swaps are really losing popularity, it just seems like it isn't even worth it.
You suggest saving money by having custom pistons made, then you suggest not swapping by buying a JDM engine.

Way to go:thumb:

Originally posted by fast1.8sohcDSM

WOW, who the hell mods economy engines besides civic owners?

If you want a car with power, you don't take an economy car, like the 1.8, and turbo it. It is a great car, to deliver pizza in.

Originally posted by pballernh

If you want a car with power, you don't take an economy car, like the 1.8, and turbo it. It is a great car, to deliver pizza in.

post reported

i dont usually do this but your really getting on my nerves. You need to let people do what they want to their car. If you are not gonna help them then dont post. its as simple as that.

dude im sick of your sh*t. if you have something to say to me. dont post it here.

Originally posted by pballernh

With the last post, you have covienced me of one thing...You are a complete asshole. How bout you stop thinking that your opinions are always the best ones.

I am not annoyed about you stating your opinions, I am annoyed that you are trying to press your closed minded opinions on other people. As laser said, if you don't have anything helpful to say, its best you don't say anything at all.

By the way, many people mod economy engines. What the hell do you think a tuner forum is for? What do you think the big thing about imports have been? Economic engines that produce decent amounts of power.

Civics are not bad cars. And I belive many people on this board will agree with you. Civics can be very good performance vehicles that get good gas mileage. Its the owners of the cars that make them look bad and rice them out. Don't blame the car, blame the owner. I have seen many civics that out perform your n/t car.

I'm actually in the same situation as the original poster to this thread. I however have access to two 92 Eagle Talons...both are 2.0Ls and one is a turbo w/ a Cyclone intake. The turbo engine is shot from the timing being off for too long, but for the most part seems ok. The non-turbo engine runs great (for 206K miles) but was recently wrecked (damage in rear). My question is...would it be worth it to buy these cars and rebuild the two engines into one 2.0L turbo to swap in place of my 1.8L? And what would I need to take from either of the parts cars to make it work.

I'm actually in the same situation as the original poster to this thread. I however have access to two 92 Eagle Talons...both are 2.0Ls and one is a turbo w/ a Cyclone intake. The turbo engine is shot from the timing being off for too long, but for the most part seems ok. The non-turbo engine runs great (for 206K miles) but was recently wrecked (damage in rear). My question is...would it be worth it to buy these cars and rebuild the two engines into one 2.0L turbo to swap in place of my 1.8L? And what would I need to take from either of the parts cars to make it work.

if you have a 1.8 and you put a 2.0t you need to rewire everything electric. Thats what i have been told at least.

No i think it woudl be to much work. I belive you will have to rewire. Not know for sure. I'd do alot of research before even attempting. Just because it would suck to start it and not finish it.

Ok, if I buy my cousin's car I think I know how I can get the damage fixed cheaper, so would it be a lot of work to build a 2.0 NT into a 2.0 Turbo? :confused:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back