The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Possible engine swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g 4g63's have the same rods for na and turbo, 6 bolt nonturbo's hve big rods.

I have a 92 talon and a 92 laser. The talon has a blown DOHC, and ive heard that the DOHC is the 2.0, and i dont know if its been swapped or not. So I was wondering, The laser has a 1.8l, can it be swapped into the talon that has the dohc? The talon is marked as a 1.8l but im not sure if it is or not. Both are non turbo automatic, any info will be greatly appreciated.

The DOHC should be a 2.0 4g63 unless some has done a different swap in the past. To swap in the 1.8 you will have to swap the engine wire harness and ecu. You would probably be better off buying a used n/a 4g63 if that is what it has. To tell which engine it has there is a tab on the drivers side block where the head meets the block. It is to the right of the exhaust manifold and probably covered in grease clean it off and find out what it is stamped IE: 4g63 4g67 ect.

i was tired as hell and wasnt really clear LOL,

if he uses the 6 bolt block, he can use rods out of either 6 bolt block because the rods are the same.

same with 7 bolt turbo and nonturbo rods. you can use either ones as long as theyre 7 bolt rods.

you can also use 6 bolt rods in a 7 bolt block, you have to machine the rod because its a bit wider.

I've converted 1.8L cars to 2.0 turbo's. The swap is easy. You need to change the ecu, wiring harness, motor, trans, engine mount on drivers side, etc. It's a very simple swap, just unbolt and replace. If you have any questions I would normally say to PM me, but since this topic isn't covered well, post here and I'll answer as quickly as possible.

You can swap the non turbo into the turbo car. Are you planing on putting the turbo parts on it or leaving the non turbo motor N/A and then rebuilding the turbo engine?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back