The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1/8 bsp to 3/8 barb aluminum fitting help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
Long story short got a cool billet thermo housing. It was however tapped for 1/8 bsp instead of 1 npt on both sides and I need an aluminum 3/8 barb

Im coming up blank. Would like to keep it aluminum for consistency of metals best i can

any help appreciated. Guy even said hed buy the fitting since he machined it wrong.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I was on the hunt for one to replace my PCV valve but all I found was brass. I never ran across an aluminum one (but I wasn't really looking) Just what I ran into.

I was on the hunt for one to replace my PCV valve but all I found was brass. I never ran across an aluminum one (but I wasn't really looking) Just what I ran into.
Closest so far is this to adapt it

Vibrant Performance 10399 1/8" Male Bsp To 1/8" Female Npt Adapter Fitting - Aluminum, 1 Pack https://a.co/d/6oFoISU

Got any "machining" friends...??? IDT it would take alot to make one if it were aluminum. Wish I had a lathe, I'd send ya one! :cool:

Got any "machining" friends...??? IDT it would take alot to make one if it were aluminum. Wish I had a lathe, I'd send ya one! :cool:
Yes but he said itd be cheaper to just buy that adapter... ive tapped bspt to npt before but dont want to risk ruining such a good piece.

I did find a brass version but brass and aluminum can be issues with corrosion.

Generally, you want to steer clear of using the same material for fasteners and what they’re threading into as similar materials are subject to galling.

Aside from the fact I also can’t find one, I’d suggest going with some other material - if you’re opposed to brass, perhaps stainless is an option? It will at least look closer than brass. :p

Generally, you want to steer clear of using the same material for fasteners and what they’re threading into as similar materials are subject to galling.

Aside from the fact I also can’t find one, I’d suggest going with some other material - if you’re opposed to brass, perhaps stainless is an option? It will at least look closer than brass. :p
I believe you have it backwards. Disimilar materials create electric charges that cause galvanization

Brass is incompatible with aluminum, per Mil-STD-889. The Aluminum will break down. If you must use these two metals in direct contact situations, it is recommended that you put a non-metallic barrier between the two. There are special fittings available for mixing the two metals at the point of use.

When you put an aluminum hose connection on a brass bibb, you create a reaction: galvanic corrosion. Neither one of these metals will corrode on its own in contact with water, but when they're put together, you're in trouble

I feel like I've seen brass sensors in aluminum housings since forever.

The no-no, as I understand, would be threading for example stainless into stainless as that would give you the galling.

I’ll stand by my dissimilar materials statement. I will give on my stainless recommendation as a little extra quick and dirty research suggests both aluminum and stainless (more stainless) are more prone to galling.

A decent reference, as well as the below screen capture: Pemnet.com / PennEngineering: Thread Galling

With that, there doesn’t appear to be a great many options for you. Maybe get the brass (because it’s available) but have it zinc plated? If you’re set on aluminum, maybe a nickel or nickel ptfe coating?

Without a coating on an aluminum piece (which should affect surface hardness), my other concern is the use and longevity of aluminum as a hose nipple, it being as soft as it is. But that’s mainly my experience and seeing how people treat engine components.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Absolutely, aluminum and brass do not mix well. I fully expect that's what accelerates the breaking down of the BSP threads in the various ports on the OFH, since that's where brass fittings are most commonly found c/o most of us.
Brass is quite safe in alloys. Its what mitsu use for the thermo stat ends on the temp controlled OFH's. Its alloy on alloy that needs protecting. Always use anodized and if it helps and available some antiseize. But i use brass and alloy on aluminum, zero issues ever here.
If i use stainless its always using a barrier to prevent corrosion between them. Having just taken my SS studs out my head they all perfectly clean and issue free.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back