The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 1/4 Mile HTA68 Version 1 Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielsl1999gsx

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2009
los angles, California
I wanted to start a thread to keep track of my quarter mile times done with the HTA68 Version 1. While up north I decided to take my bucket to Sonoma Raceway and run their 1/4 mile track. My car is currently set up with dual maps (91 and E85) and being more than 500 miles away from home I didn't want to risk breaking anything on e85. Thus, I decided to run my low boost 91 octane map (325hp/285qt) to see what this bucket could do. I was only able to get three runs in before getting eliminated due to a miss shift.
  • 1st run was nothing more but a feel for the track/car so no two step was used and easy shifting was applied through the gears. I bogged so hard out of the hole clocking a terrible 2.6 60ft and resulting in a 13.7 quarter mile @ 108mph.
  • 2nd run I had a good feel for both track and car so I engaged two stepped and launched this car right out of the hole. Car hooked up great and landed me a 1.6 60ft with a red light though :/ This ended up being my best run of the night, resulting in a 12.3 quarter miles @ 110mph.
  • 3rd run was elimination so I knew I had to bring the fire to this run. I decided to not only engage two step but also apply NLTS on this run. Everything was going great out of the hole with a 1.8 60ft but thats where the good ends. Sadly, as soon as I tried to apply NLTS to my 2-3 shift I got locked out of third (I left off the clutch too soon) and missed shift so hard. When I did find third gear the damage was already done to my time and out I went. This run ended with a 13.6 @ 104mph
All in all, this was a great learning experience on my new setup. I really think i can get this car down to 12.1 or even 11.9 with NLTS working properly. I will be going back to my local track at home on my high boost e85 map and shooting for 11s! Im coming for that 11.5 GOFER, you best be ready!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_5436.JPG
    IMG_5436.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5435.JPG
    IMG_5435.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 114
@gofer Your current setup is a v1 68hta with an 8cm exhaust housing correct?
That's correct, its a BEP 8cm. FWIW, I'm also running a SMIM and I believe daniels has a Evo III IM.

You hitting your 11.5 is very obtainable and something I haven't been able to do, so all I've got is my trap speed. LOL Glad you tagged me in this thread so I can follow your setup a bit closer since you don't have a build thread (yet?).

Nice job with the driving. 1.6 60ft is a fantastic launch on street tires.

Sucks you're "regular pumpgas" is limited to 91 octane. You should be able to get your trapspeed into the teens if you had 93.

That's correct, its a BEP 8cm. FWIW, I'm also running a SMIM and I believe daniels has a Evo III IM.

You hitting your 11.5 is very obtainable and something I haven't been able to do, so all I've got is my trap speed. LOL Glad you tagged me in this thread so I can follow your setup a bit closer since you don't have a build thread (yet?).

I do have a build thread but I have given up on it since the start of my youtube channel. Maybe one day I'll update that thread again.
Nice job with the driving. 1.6 60ft is a fantastic launch on street tires.

Sucks you're "regular pumpgas" is limited to 91 octane. You should be able to get your trapspeed into the teens if you had 93.

Yeah, California has terrible gas but at least we got some decent corn juice. I should be able to hit mid to high teens on e85. I was down 76hp and 95qt during these runs

Back at it again with them 60fts! I took the pos bucket to my local 1/8th track for some test and tune on e85. Sadly, I didn't have a helmet so i could go all out in two of my three passes. And again I was only able to get 3 passes in before they closed.
  • 1st run happen to be my best run because I was able to borrow a helmet and go all out without any worries of track officials. Two step functioned great and got me out of the hole with a 1.67 60ft. I was also able to use NLTS on my 2-3 shift clocking a 7.60 @ 97 MPH. I really can't complain about this run at all. The only thing I would consider changing is adding NLTS on my 1-2 shift but other than that it was flawless.
  • 2nd run I had no helmet so it was pretty much a throw away run. No two step, 2.3 60ft LOL and a 9.4 @ 72mph.
  • 3rd and final run before closing (due to a camaro spilling its content on the track) was another all out run since they couldn't kick me out anymore for no helmet. Two step got me out of the hole with a bunch of wheel spin/wheel hop in the rear but I kept in it 1.9 60ft. I tried to do NTLS on my 2-3 but once again got locked out of 3rd and this time it felt weird. Ended the night with a 8.5 @ 79MPH
Now for the dilemma of the last run. I noticed that after I got into third it was fairly difficult to get it out of gear. I limped the car over to the parking lot to say goodbye to my friends and once I got back in I was officially locked out of every gear. I'm 99% sure I over heated this clutch on my last run and got it seized to my pressure plate or flywheel. Real disappointed with the Southbend SSX/TZ kit being taken out by my 16g. These kits are rated for 550qt and it only took 3 launches at 380qt to kill it. Not to mention this thing only had 7k on it and two track sessions. All proper travel, pedal adjustment, break in technique were followed. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Tim @ TMZ to see what can be done. Worst comes to worst i'll be switching over to a Competition Clutch Stage 3 since i really liked that one on the evo. Looks like that 11.5 will have to wait a bit longer Gofer!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 14900358_10210960752712603_3837940189658590215_n.jpg
    14900358_10210960752712603_3837940189658590215_n.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 83
Shucks. :sneaky:

Just an FYI from my personal experience...
I R&D a stage IV (whatever the f*** that is) Comp Clutch and street disk for RRE and my car burnt it up, just ask Sam Chasmywang. Since the R&D was for Comp Clutch, Sam (RRE) installed it along with a brand new CC flywheel, billet shift fork, new TOB, etc. etc. and Sam made sure everything was perfect adjusted properly. We went out and threw 390tq. at it and it burnt up quicker than shit with that street disk. I ended up dropping my transmission again that same night on RRE's lift and installed my old ACT2600/street disk that I drove up there with so I could go to Fontana that morning and race. Which I did and my old beat ACT2600/SD held the power just fine. I'm a ACT fanboy.

Second ACT. I too have had good luck with most their stuff.

The 6 puck sprung discs will absolutely take a beating. I've got mine hot as hell launching like a noob on numerous occasions, and it still holds. And, I like ACT because it's good bang for the buck.

If you get the street disc, make sure it's the newer version with the 4 springs, not to older 6 spring version. I've had springs fly out of a few of the older 6 spring versions.

That's why you run unsprung disks, one less thing to break
They wear out the splines on the hub that ride on the input shaft, quickly. They also seem to break transmissions faster, at least in my car. Not only is all the engine torque being applied to the trans, but without springs all the vibration as well.

That being said, they usually shift faster because they are lighter, and you'll never pop a spring.

That's interesting I didn't know that, I thought they were simply there for dampening, as the chatter on the unsprung really isn't that bad and still comes down to pedal engagement by the driver, the act 2600 is the only clutch I've ran other than stock on my evo 3 16g and I'm certainly a fan of it

They wear out the splines on the hub that ride on the input shaft, quickly. They also seem to break transmissions faster, at least in my car. Not only is all the engine torque being applied to the trans, but without springs all the vibration as well.

That being said, they usually shift faster because they are lighter, and you'll never pop a spring.

^^THIS^^
I'm running a brand new TRE stage 3 trans and I'm expecting this it outlast everything on my car. I dont want to damage the input shaft or hurt the trans with an unsprung disc so those are out of the question.
I also find it interesting that a lot of you guys are backing up ACT... three of my close DSM buddies have all had multiple fingers break on their pressure plate. I personally had a spring pop out with my ACT 2600 on my evo. Sigh LOL now I'm really torn on what clutch to go with next.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back