1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

09 Impala I/P died while driving after new bat and alt.

Posted by 3Burritos, Dec 1, 2019

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. 3Burritos

3Burritos Probationary Member

Joined Dec 1, 2019
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey guys, total car noob here and cannot find any info anywhere about this...
    In the last 3 days I have replaced the battery and alternator in my 09 Impala I/P with 140k miles on it.
    Tonight when I went to flip the high beams on, my car died and after the panic of no brakes or steering and no shoulder to get over, it started back up with no issues minus battery svc mssg and battery light. I got home and checked the battery because my mom suggested maybe it was the wrong one and this one is CC 600 and like RC 120 whereas my old one was like CC 1000 RC 900. Could this be the problem? I don't even know what to do anymore and so broke after all this that it hurts.
    Sorry for being ignorant and tyvm for your time and expertise beforehand.

2. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois
    Bad ground. Make sure they are clean. Are the battery terminals clean as well?

If you turn the car on and disconnect the battery, does it shut off? Might be a bad alternator.

1990TSIAWDTALON and lglracer like this.
  3. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    It could also be ecu problems, but lets try everything else first.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

388  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

297  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
  4. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Your battery should be rated at 600A CCA for 3.5L, 750A CCA for 3.9L or 625A CCA for 5.3L.

If you have the 3.5L your battery is correct. If you have a different engine, it is slightly undersized.

That shouldn't cause it to shut off. You may have a bad connection at the battery (due to corrosion) or somewhere in your starting circuit or ground circuit.

Check both ends of the starter wire for corrosion - clean them up - and tighten everything back up. Do the same for the battery terminals.

From there, we will probably need to do some testing with a voltmeter. do you have one/access to one?

Street Build 238  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 183  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  9

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    @buddahboost and @rabenne have some very good recommendations. Make sure that all connections are tight and clean.

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

542  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

449  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS

Street Build 650  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM