The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

.060 cast 1g or 2g pistons swap right into the 4g64. Where to get them?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm-onster

DSM Wiseman
Jul 11, 2004
Bloxom, Virginia
Some of my thoughts and a question:

I know wiseco pistons, full floating pins, and rings can be had for under $500 shipped.

But, I am doing a budget 4g64 build here though. I have 2 spare sets of good 6bolt rods and arp rod bolts are very affordable. The piston speed of a 4g64 at 7390rpms is the same as a 63 at 8000rpms. The stock 6bolt rods can handle 8K at 500whp especially with ARP clamps.

I know that a 4g64 is a 7bolt 4g63 with a taller deck and .060 overbore. Swapping on a 63 DOHC head doesn't raise the compression of the 4g64 at all since the chamber volumes are the same. The 1g piston dish + headgasket volume is 26.42cc. The 2.4 4g64 cylinder volume is 587.5cc. So with a 1g piston dish and 63 headgasket, CR of a 4g64 would be just a hair over 9:1. The larger bore of the 64 head gasket would lower that right down to 9:1.

9:1 with a better ringland position of a turbo piston plus valve reliefs, rev limit of 7K with 6bolt rods and arp rod bolts; Sounds like a plan to me.

SOOO, where do you get cast oem (NPR, ITM) 1g .060 over pistons/rings? I've looked EVERYWHERE! Someone has to sell them. I can get these 1g rods cut for the 7bolt crank PLUS the larger pistons pressed on for $100. I've seen .040 over NPR pistons and rings for $100 shipped. $200 vs. $600 (wiseco pistons/pins/rings + 1g rod work) is much better for me with a block that will never see 550whp or 8000rpms. But can you even get .060 over OEM pistons????

Well, if I were doing this with your budget in mind, my initial thoughts would be to just get the set of Wisecos. Being that the compression height and wrist pin location is excactly the same, a .060" over 4G63 piston is basically their 4G64 with 2.0 Head piston. I am a distributor for them, so I typically am on the phone with those guys on a frequent basis.

Just to ask, would you consider just getting a 6-bolt 4G64 block and crank and saving yourself the altering of the rods?

As far as Wiseco's go, I believe their default for compression ratio for the 2.4/2.0 combo piston is 8.8:1.

Also, might I suggest a Cometic HG that is for a 64? I also believe they have different thicknesses for that application as well.

Well. I got this 4g64 block from a running car for $50 :). Didn't even have to pull it. So that's why I'm working with it. But I agree. Working with a 6-bolt from the get-go would be better for me had this block not fallen in my lap.

I just had hoped that there were 1g .060 over OEM cast pistons out there. ??? But wiseco would be my next choice absolutely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back