The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

05/06 Outlander "BIGGer brake upgrade"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are several good threads on this topic, but I thought I would put this into a Tech Article with focus on weight and add some of my own photos.

One of the problems with upgrading your brakes, is that such upgrade is usually accompanied with increase in weight. Some aftermarket brake kits, like TCE, will gave you big brakes with reduction in weight, but not everyone can afford it.

So, until recently, "big DSM" brake upgrade was THE way to give yourself a bit more braking capability for budget conscious enthusiasts. Everyone knew that "big brakes" were heavier, but they just took it as inevitable.

05/06 Outlander front brakes emerged recently as a better/bigger upgrade, but I want to add an extra merit to this conversion: you get more brakes, for not much additional weight!

To do this swap, you will need:
05/06 Outlander caliper brackets MR307282 and two piston calipers (Outlander calipers use 2G style of brake lines, so 1G guys will ether have to use 93/94/GVR4 calipers with these brackets or do some creative plumbing, to adapt the lines)
05/06 Outlander rotors (stock shields will have to be bent back)

That is IT! No other parts or adaptors!

I sourced my complete Outlander calipers at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, most of these junk yards will ship parts for relatively low cost. And since you are already paying for shipping, find a place in the south, so that you get some rust free parts!

As for rotors, there are dozens of sources to get them! I used drt-sport from Ebay, they caught my attention because of their powder coating options and low price, but they also ended being 5 min from house :).

Aside from being larger, Outlander rotors have different design and give you more rotor with relatively less weight! Here is weight sumary:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As you can see, Outlander brakes give you extra 20mm over the "Big DSM" brakes, but your weight penalty is only 1.4lbs per side! That is the same increase in size as going from "Small DSM to Big DSM"!

A few more comparison shot (Outlander/Big DSM/Small DSM):

All done up:

With a dirty 18" wheel over it:

Edit: I have received many questions about different wheel fitments. I only had it over my 18" wheels. But from other people's experience, I have seen that most 16" wheels fit over these brakes. Knowing just how little clearance between Galant VR4 brakes and stock, 15" wheels, I highly doubt that these brakes will fit under 15" wheels.

Other good threads on this topic:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/397589-new-brakes-gsx-budget.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...y-2-piston-big-rotor-upgrade-276mm-294mm.html

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Quick update:

I finally got a chance to test fit 16" OEM wheel over the Outlander brakes. I only had 1G "turbine wheel" laying around. It appears to have pretty bad caliper clearance and it JUST barely clears the caliper. I am talking about by around .010"!!! To bit too close for my comfort! If I had that little clearance, I would have ground-off some material from the caliper.

But I suspect that most aftermarket wheels will have more clearance.

Bottom line: do not ASSUME that 16" will fit over these brakes, test fit them first!

Another quick update:

Stock GST spare tire will NOT clear Outlander caliper! If you find yourself in this situation, you would have to put the spare on the rear of the car and then rotate the rear tire to the front.

My guess is that EVO8/9 spare should work, but I haven't tried it yet. I will also try a GSX spare tire, but it is probably the same as GST.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe that it was almost 10 years since I did upgrade. Unfortunately, I sold my Spyder in fall of 2019, but these brakes performed flawlessly during that time! I put them through numerous Autox events! I tend to do left foot braking, to keep the boost in the corner, so that is VERY tough on the brakes, I have "blued" the rotors on couple of occasions, but they continued to work great!

I have also used several different wheels on my Spyder:

17" 2Gb Talon OEM

17x9" Advan RG2

16x8" Kosei K1

18x9.5 5Zigen FN01r-c (those were too wide :( )

Borrowed 18x8" Niche Shock wheels with Toyo 888's. Those were good enough for 3rd place 2017 DSM class, not bad for the heaviest DSM you can possibly have ;)

Last edited:
Yes the stock swirlies will fit. I had a set over Outlanders on my 95 TSi AWD for awhile before I started my build. I bought the car after it sat for years, so I swapped out the brakes before I drove the car for several months before putting it on the lift. It was my first DSM so I can't tell you how the brakes were compared to stock though. Hope this helps.

Reviving this again. Did Stoptech quit manufacturing the front slotted rotors for the Outlander? Part #126.62140SL/R? RTM racing carried them but now they're insanely expensive on their soon to be closed store ($535.15/pair). Front rotors don't show up on Stoptech's website. I've found a few other options from manufacturers that I've never heard of. EBC sells a set too.

Not sure about Stoptech, but Rockauto has drilled and slotted rotors for the outlander

Hey hey, what's up, Erik? Roadkill guy here. I think I hit you up a while ago but I'm back in CO now. Let's meet up sometime soon. Thanks for the link. Love RockAuto.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back