The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Transforming my 14b to a 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habitatguy187

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
Alright here's the deal, I have a stock 14b, but I just bought a 7cm (16g) turbine housing for it, now I've read on vfaq that the turbine wheel of a 14b is the same size as the turbine wheel of a 16g, but that the compressor wheel is bigger in the 16g.

I can get a 16g compressor housing for about $15-20 right now, and you can pick up a small 16g compressor wheel on ebay for about $50.

So my question is, can I put a 16g compressor housing and wheel onto my 14b cartridge, add the 7cm turbine housing that I just bought, and have a small 16g? Or will the wheel and housing now fit onto the 14b cartridge, this thread - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/162227-16g-cartridge-14b.html - Says that the cartridges are the same, but I wanted some verification before I bought the other stuff.

Also would I need to have it balanced afterwards? I'm very uneducated when it comes to the actual turbo mechanics so I need all the advice possible. Thanks

The center plate is different between the two. The 16g's has a slight taper to it. If converting a 14b to a 16g, you'll need a 16g center plate.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I can't remember is the compressor covers are the same or not. Jusmx141 would be the one to ask that question. As a matter of fact, if you're serious about converting that turbo, PM him. He's very fluent with rebuilding MHI turbos (as well as many others).

No its not complicated at all.

1. Buy a evo 3 or 18g wheel from FP or ebay (why go small 16g) $80
2. Buy a rebuild kit for a 16g turbo. $80
3. Take your comrpressor cover and CHRA to a machine shop so they can match it to your new wheel. $60 Have them sand blasted while you are there.
4. rebuild your turbo with the http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...303828-td05h-td06-turbo-rebuild-part-1-a.html and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...303829-td05h-td06-turbo-rebuild-part-2-a.html.
5. Prime your turbo after install and drive away, its much easier than it sounds and can be done by bobo the one legged and armed monkey.

Looking at those links this might be in my upgrade future, I keep finding 16g compressor housings on ebay for less than $20, so that with a rebuild kit ($80), plus the small 16g wheel (I want to keep a fast spool) for $55, so I could turn my current 14b into a small 16g for around $150.

For now I'll just wait and see how satisfied/unsatisfied I am with the 7cm turbine housing.

Please do your research on turbo's, the small 16g wheel is a waste of time and money.

The actual center housing would also need to be machined for the larger exducer of the 16g wheel.

Is this true, I need to have the center section machined? Or if I get a 16g center plate and a big 16g compressor housing I shouldn't have to have anything machined when I upgrade my 14b using my big 16g compressor wheel. I have a 7cm exhaust housing.

Could I just get a big 16g turbo rebuild kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perf...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c85038bb since everything else is the same as a 14b beside the 3 parts I'm replacing? compressor housing, big 16g compressor wheel, and 16g center plate.

Here is a picture of the compressor housing I have, it appears to be and ebay knock off but it should still work right?

Is this true, I need to have the center section machined?
Yes.
Could I just get a big 16g turbo rebuild kit Performance TD05 TD06 16g 18g 20g Turbo Repair Kit COMP | eBay since everything else is the same as a 14b beside the 3 parts I'm replacing? compressor housing, big 16g compressor wheel, and 16g center plate.
You'd need a 16G parts kit in addition to getting the center housing machined.
I
Here is a picture of the compressor housing I have, it appears to be and ebay knock off but it should still work right?

Some knockoff covers do not fit MHI center housings- be sure you try before you buy the rest of your parts.

So it needs to be machined because the outside diameter of the compressor wheel on a big 16g is bigger then the 14b compressor wheel? I think I know what you are talking about, the recessed ridge that the 14b compressor wheel sits down in on the center section that is maybe a few MM's recessed. Your saying I have to take that out a little bit all the way around to provide clearance for the compressor wheel?

I already have a big 16g compressor wheel and I guess I should test fit the compressor housing or try to find a real one, if it fits on there tight with the clip ring I should be fine right?
Even with the machining and rebuilt kit and balancing it's still cheaper then buying a big16g and rebuilding it I believe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back