The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Borg Warner V-band Turbine + Turbonetics Manifold = Fail

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Horse

15+ Year Contributor
May 21, 2004
Morrison, Colorado
Just for future reference for anyone with the same idea as me.

You can not run a T3 BW V-band turbine with a Turbonetics exhaust manifold. No, not even with a spacer. You need a minimum of 1" of extra clearence between the exhaust ports and the manifold so the turbine doesn't hit the block. Even with a 1/2" spacer between the head/manifold and another 1/2" spacer between the manifold and the turbine flange, it still won't work.

Just posting this up so no one else gets into trouble trying to run this combo. That is all. :)

Turbonetics manifolds are worthless without modification for about 99% of T3-flanged turbos that DSMers use today.

I tried it personally on a GT35R and it hit the block. Another buddy tried it with a PTE6031E using a .82 a/r turbine housing, and it hit the block too.

Their design is great but a little outdated.

where did you guys purchase the extended exhaust manifold studs to run that spacer?

where did you guys purchase the extended exhaust manifold studs to run that spacer?

Hahn Racecraft - Turbo Upgrades and Parts

A bit more clarification seems to be needed here too. You can run a 5 bolt Ford flange discharge with nothing extra (spacer etc) needed. If you run the 4 bolt turbine flange, you can use a Turbonetics manifold WITH the manifold spacer and longer studs. The only area you run into problems with is the V-Band turbine housing from Borg Warner.

NOTE - I am not sure if other turbines besides the Borg Warner has this same problem. Also - I am not sure about the 6 bolt turbine flanges from Borg Warner either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back